claypidgon

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Hello all,I am hopefully going to purchase a new vidio card in Jan.I am trying to find out what card will work best with my system-mb.So far every place I have gone has been a dead end.Can someone here answer this question.Here is my system as well as I know.
computer-Alien Ware
CPU-AMD K7 PRO-700 MGh
MB-MS-6195-ATXIR3
BIOS-American Megatrends-version A6195KMS-V1.2
Chipset-AMD-751 Irongate AGPset.REV C stepping 6
128 meg pc133 ram
Voodoo 3000 agp-lastest drivers
Win 98SE
DX-8.
Thank you.

RavenPrime

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
It is more of a question of what you will be doing with your system rather than what system you have. Also, depends upon how much you are willing to spend.

For 3D games--geforce2 MX, GTS, or Ultra.
For 2D office stuff and web browsing--keep what you have.
For video and DVD playback--ATI Radeon.

:cool: James

G

I would be careful with the Radeon, however. The only thing I have seen with ATI cards is the visual quality and DVD playback are untouchable outside of the Matrox cards. Their drivers have caused me untold measures of grief. I wanted to give the Radeon a chance, seeing as it's 3d performance was good, on par with the early Geforce 2, and the DVD and visual quality was sharp. Then on the advice of a colleague, I checked out their website for driver issues, and found a large number of driver updates and patches, for various issues (problems with specific games, error messages, etc.) When ATI will release a card with next to flawless drivers and the quality of the Radeon or the next generation after that, I will jump to buy one. As things stand, however, I feel forced to choose Geforce 2.

claypidgon

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Thanks for the answers guys.The only thing I do is CFS1 and CFS2.My real concern is that the video card work with my MB without any problems.I have heard that some cards wont work with some MB'S.Thanks

RavenPrime

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I agree that ATI has a bad history with poor drivers and that it does not seem to be getting better in the near future, but if you want the video quality, I still think the Radeon is the best choice.
As for the Geforce2, I have had nothing but grief from the NVidia drivers so I can't say they are much better.
It usually takes about 6 months before you get a mature stable driver for any component.
Whether or not a video card will work with your system is next to impossible to predict reliably. There are a lot of people who have a similar system to mine and never had a problem with their video driver while it took me 3 months to get mine stable and reliable. Now I love my system, but it took some grief to get here.

:cool: James

nicewar

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
With all the hype that Alienware puts into its customer service I would think they could best answer this question for you. Have you contacted them? If you have what was their answer as I have been considering ordering a box from them?