Downloadind video problem

Suddenly, and for no reason that I can identify, when I try to download
media (video) from the internet I get a message:

Windows Media Player cannot play this file. Connect to the internet or
insert the removable media on which the file is located, and then try to
play the file again. Click the Play button to try to reconnect to this
stream. OK

It seems like some setting has changed on my computer, because I'm on
Broadband and don't need to connect.

Strangely, with newsgroups like this one, the message doesn't show
immediately, just says

Message has not been downloaded
Outlook Express has not yet downloaded this message.

To download the message:

Click here.

Press Space.

This may be related because of some security setting or something, I don't
know!

H-E-L-P !!!

Chris

chelsea

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2005

Hello Chris,
that message normally means your WinXP doesn't have the correct codec to
play the video. So if you are downloding an avi file encoded using DivX you
need DivX on your system to decode the file before playing. Of course there
are many other video formats and unless you are receiving RAW video you need
a codec for each type.

Chelsea

chelsea

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2005

Naughty Chris you should post to the group and not email me.
Anyhow I can't see how you can loose codecs but you certainly can come
across files that have been made with codecs you don't have and these files
will not play on your system. It will look like an error in your player that
is true, but in fact its more likely a file specific matter. Try playing a
video file you know works for sure. Now if that doesn't play it is likely
the media player has something wrong. I can tell you how to check which
codecs are on your system, go to control panel, double click sounds and
audio devices, select hardware and you should see Audio Codecs listed and
Video Codecs listed just highlight and press properties. As for the file
you are trying to play, right click it go to properties and summary and the
codec will be listed. Hope that helps

Chelsea