XP Professional Installation Problem

I am updating from XP Home to XP Professional on a new Acer TraveMate
2308WLMi laptop.

I have encountered a 'Copy Error' that has come up which says

"Setup cannot copy the file migregdb.ex_. Ensure the disk labeled 'Windows
XP Professional Service Pack 2 CD' is in the drive selected below, or provide
the location where the file can be found."

I can see the file that it is looking for in the I386 folder but it is in
capitals rather than lowercase - is this the problem and how do I solve it?

Many thanks for any advice offered.

MANU CADDIE
New Zealand
2 answers Last reply
More about professional installation problem

    "manucaddie" <manucaddie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I am updating from XP Home to XP Professional on a new Acer TraveMate
    > 2308WLMi laptop.
    >
    > I have encountered a 'Copy Error' that has come up which says
    >
    > "Setup cannot copy the file migregdb.ex_. Ensure the disk labeled 'Windows
    > XP Professional Service Pack 2 CD' is in the drive selected below, or
    > provide
    > the location where the file can be found."
    >
    > I can see the file that it is looking for in the I386 folder but it is in
    > capitals rather than lowercase - is this the problem and how do I solve
    > it?
    >
    > Many thanks for any advice offered.
    >
    > MANU CADDIE
    > New Zealand

    Windows isn't case sensitive, so migregdb.ex_ and MIGREGDB.EX_ are treated
    as the same file, so that isn't your problem.

    I would suspect a duff cd - either a problem with the cd drive or the xp cd.
    Can you physically copy the file yourself using another pc? If you can then
    does it fit on a floppy or could you copy it to another cd and let the
    windows installer try with your copy.

    Hope this helps,

    Brian

    www.cryer.co.uk/brian

    "manucaddie" <manucaddie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I am updating from XP Home to XP Professional on a new Acer TraveMate
    > 2308WLMi laptop.
    >
    > I have encountered a 'Copy Error' that has come up which says
    >
    > "Setup cannot copy the file migregdb.ex_. Ensure the disk labeled 'Windows
    > XP Professional Service Pack 2 CD' is in the drive selected below, or
    > provide
    > the location where the file can be found."
    >
    > I can see the file that it is looking for in the I386 folder but it is in
    > capitals rather than lowercase - is this the problem and how do I solve
    > it?
    >
    > Many thanks for any advice offered.
    >
    > MANU CADDIE
    > New Zealand

    Is it an original CD or copy. Which version is it- does have included
    service packs, and which? Will that problem file copy off your CD to another
    location?

Support Microsoft Windows XP