XP Professional Installation Problem

I am updating from XP Home to XP Professional on a new Acer TraveMate
2308WLMi laptop.

I have encountered a 'Copy Error' that has come up which says

"Setup cannot copy the file migregdb.ex_. Ensure the disk labeled 'Windows
XP Professional Service Pack 2 CD' is in the drive selected below, or provide
the location where the file can be found."

I can see the file that it is looking for in the I386 folder but it is in
capitals rather than lowercase - is this the problem and how do I solve it?

Many thanks for any advice offered.

MANU CADDIE
New Zealand

"manucaddie" <manucaddie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am updating from XP Home to XP Professional on a new Acer TraveMate
> 2308WLMi laptop.
>
> I have encountered a 'Copy Error' that has come up which says
>
> "Setup cannot copy the file migregdb.ex_. Ensure the disk labeled 'Windows
> XP Professional Service Pack 2 CD' is in the drive selected below, or
> provide
> the location where the file can be found."
>
> I can see the file that it is looking for in the I386 folder but it is in
> capitals rather than lowercase - is this the problem and how do I solve
> it?
>
> Many thanks for any advice offered.
>
> MANU CADDIE
> New Zealand

Windows isn't case sensitive, so migregdb.ex_ and MIGREGDB.EX_ are treated
as the same file, so that isn't your problem.

I would suspect a duff cd - either a problem with the cd drive or the xp cd.
Can you physically copy the file yourself using another pc? If you can then
does it fit on a floppy or could you copy it to another cd and let the
windows installer try with your copy.

Hope this helps,

Brian

www.cryer.co.uk/brian

"manucaddie" <manucaddie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am updating from XP Home to XP Professional on a new Acer TraveMate
> 2308WLMi laptop.
>
> I have encountered a 'Copy Error' that has come up which says
>
> "Setup cannot copy the file migregdb.ex_. Ensure the disk labeled 'Windows
> XP Professional Service Pack 2 CD' is in the drive selected below, or
> provide
> the location where the file can be found."
>
> I can see the file that it is looking for in the I386 folder but it is in
> capitals rather than lowercase - is this the problem and how do I solve
> it?
>
> Many thanks for any advice offered.
>
> MANU CADDIE
> New Zealand

Is it an original CD or copy. Which version is it- does have included
service packs, and which? Will that problem file copy off your CD to another
location?