Norton Antivirus Full System Scan keeps sticking! Please h..

I have version 11.0-11.4 bought a few months ago and everytime i do a full
system scan, it scans for about one hour and picks up 4 viruses then at the
same point everytime, stops and locks up without completing the scan. It
always stops at the same point which is after 80240 and on a C file which is
called microsoft works 1033/ eng.exe. Cos it stops I cant get it to remove
the viruses it has found. Any Ideas????

Secondly, this virus software has slowed the computer down considerably
since I loaded it, it seems very invasive and the computer is very slow to
react to mouse click instructions especially in the first 10-15 minutes or
so, any ideas????
2 answers Last reply
More about norton antivirus full system scan sticking

    Hello Derek,
    I had exactly the same thing happen with an earlier version of NAV. It
    always froze at exactly the same file. I didn't have any viruses and seem to
    recall that I did a full system reinstall to solve the problem-which isn't
    much of a solution for you I know. NAV also pulled the performance right
    down on my machine as well as causing lots of niggly little problems in my
    work.Who for example would suspect an anti virus program could affect a File
    System Object in visual basic scripting? Anyhow I changed to Zone Alarm Pro
    and must admit prefer it to Norton. It not only has a much smaller impact on
    system performance, but also I like the daily virus signature updates-when I
    had NAV it was just weekly on a Sunday.

    Chelsea

    If your sys has slowed that much, and assuming its a reasonable spec, then
    it likely you have other probs, eg spyware/virus/trojans etc
    Uninstall NAV, visit www.symantec.com and search for details on how to
    completely remove your NAV version.
    Assuming your win firewall is on, visit www.kaspersky.com and run the online
    scan.
    When reinstalling NAV ensure you follow instructions ie all background apps
    shutdown

    "derek p" <derek p@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I have version 11.0-11.4 bought a few months ago and everytime i do a full
    > system scan, it scans for about one hour and picks up 4 viruses then at
    the
    > same point everytime, stops and locks up without completing the scan. It
    > always stops at the same point which is after 80240 and on a C file which
    is
    > called microsoft works 1033/ eng.exe. Cos it stops I cant get it to remove
    > the viruses it has found. Any Ideas????
    >
    > Secondly, this virus software has slowed the computer down considerably
    > since I loaded it, it seems very invasive and the computer is very slow to
    > react to mouse click instructions especially in the first 10-15 minutes or
    > so, any ideas????

Microsoft Antivirus Windows XP