Can I monitor a 2.4g wireless camera?

A friend of mine has a 2.4ghz wireless camera to monitor his front door. I
was wondering
if I could somehow pick that up with my wireless AP or my wireless PCMCIA
laptop card??

you can get an i-com R3, but believe me, you have to be within 10 feet to
pick it up.

please note that we are talking 2 different technologies.

wireless video, and wireless networking 2 different things

"Tech2" <n7rcm@comsourcewireless.com> wrote in message
> A friend of mine has a 2.4ghz wireless camera to monitor his front door.
> was wondering
> if I could somehow pick that up with my wireless AP or my wireless PCMCIA
> laptop card??

Tech2 <n7rcm@comsourcewireless.com> wrote:
> A friend of mine has a 2.4ghz wireless camera to monitor his front door. I
> was wondering
> if I could somehow pick that up with my wireless AP or my wireless PCMCIA
> laptop card??

No.
If you could obtain an identical model of camera, and stuck a big dish on
it, you could probably pick it up,

rico

In article <ZcmdnQIvjN01fQ_dRVn-hA@comcast.com>, "bam Bino" <ban@LKDEK.COM> wrote:
>you can get an i-com R3, but believe me, you have to be within 10 feet to
>pick it up.
>
>please note that we are talking 2 different technologies.
>
>wireless video, and wireless networking 2 different things

True they are different, but in the case of the wireless video a lot of
that equipment will blast the entire band in the 2.4GHz band used by WiFi.
I would imagine X10 could be recieved by a PCMCIA card in a laptop, thing
is the card won't know what to make of the signal (analog on the part of
the X10) other then the fact it can't reach the AP reliably due to the X10
interference. But I'd bet a real signal strenght meter on the card's
reciever circuit would should it getting LOTs and lots of signal.

>"Tech2" <n7rcm@comsourcewireless.com> wrote in message
>> A friend of mine has a 2.4ghz wireless camera to monitor his front door.
>> was wondering
>> if I could somehow pick that up with my wireless AP or my wireless PCMCIA
>> laptop card??

that may be true, but the Icom R3 can't pickup any of it..

On Fri, 30 Apr 2004, Tech2 wrote:
> A friend of mine has a 2.4ghz wireless camera to monitor his front door. I
> was wondering
> if I could somehow pick that up with my wireless AP or my wireless PCMCIA
> laptop card??

Only if it's an 802.11b or g camera. Otherwise, you'll need different
equipment.

rico

In article <yP2dnRdKAafC8QndRVn-sA@comcast.com>, "bam Bino" <ban@LKDEK.COM> wrote:
>that may be true, but the Icom R3 can't pickup any of it..

Really, shows no signal in that band at all? I'm surprised. I mention the
X10 camaras because I have a couple and as soon as I apply power the
wireless portion of my home network stops working. Turn the camaras off
(pull the power) and network reconnects. The X10 used to be considerablely
further away from my computer then the AP. I assume the Icom in this case
has an antenna that is reasonably close to resonate with 2.4GHz?

>"Rico" <rico_001@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> In article <ZcmdnQIvjN01fQ_dRVn-hA@comcast.com>, "bam Bino"
><ban@LKDEK.COM> wrote:
>> >you can get an i-com R3, but believe me, you have to be within 10 feet to
>> >pick it up.
>> >
>> >please note that we are talking 2 different technologies.
>> >
>> >wireless video, and wireless networking 2 different things
>>
>> True they are different, but in the case of the wireless video a lot of
>> that equipment will blast the entire band in the 2.4GHz band used by WiFi.
>> I would imagine X10 could be recieved by a PCMCIA card in a laptop, thing
>> is the card won't know what to make of the signal (analog on the part of
>> the X10) other then the fact it can't reach the AP reliably due to the X10
>> interference. But I'd bet a real signal strenght meter on the card's
>> reciever circuit would should it getting LOTs and lots of signal.
>>

>> >"Tech2" <n7rcm@comsourcewireless.com> wrote in message
>door.
>PCMCIA

Louis_4