Troubleshooting the Annihilator 3D

G

Hey you tech geniuses,

I have a question, I bought the Annihilator card and I'm worried that the problems I'm having, graphic artifacts and tons of Open GL related crashes, may be related to my motherboard. It's a Shuttle HOT-661 and I'm worried that the AGP slot is 1.0 not 2. I updated my bios and the chipset is 440bx. But, it's still crapping out.

QIII works, although there are also strange patches of color in the game. Also, the computer sometimes will decide the card is not operating properly and shove me into 256 colors 640x480.

I'm going to do a fresh reinstall of Win98, assuming that the switch from an ATI Rage card to the Annihilator was simply too much. I did reinstall windows but without formatting the drive, that did little.

Any ideas? Anyone have similar questions. I'm considering buying a new motherboard anyway.

Oh yeah, it's a PII 350 mhz system, 196 megs of ram.. need to know anything else?

Thanks and I'm psyched to be a part of the conversations here.
Zebra

mpjesse

Splendid
Well, before you resort to blaming hardware- i'd get the latestest drivers for everything. First, start with reference drivers (Detonator 3 drivers), then go to motherboard, and get the latest version of OpenGL/DX8. I think the problem is this: OpenGL is trying to use the Rage 128 optimized drivers with your GeForce card... so, get the latest OpenGL drivers and reinstall them. i think the website is www.opengl.org Lastly, it could be the AGP slot, the GeForce loves power and AGP 1.0 isn't good at giving it...

-MP Jesse

G

Yeah, I'll try all these things. But, since it's a 440bx chipset would it be AGP 2? I'm not sure.

Zebra

Diemos

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I believe your board does AGP2x, but Iwould upgrade. you can get a nice epox board for around 60 bucks and it will walk all over that shuttle. Another point I havent seen addressed is the power supply. If you dont have at least 250 watts you might want to change that out that aswell. good luck and happy fraggin