Athlon-Video card help

G

I want to upgrade my video card in my Athlon Classic 850Mhz system. I an running Win ME, and have 256Megs Ram. Mobo is Sd-11. I have a prehistoric v3 1000, and have been looking at creatives annihilator 2 GTS. I dont have anyone I know in my area to actually see the card in operation and none of the stores have any on display. So that adds to my dilemma in choosing one. When the Athlon classics were first released , as the original Geforce cards, there was a compatibility issue with the via 750 chipset(irongate) I had read. Some people have told me that that problem no longer exists with the GTS as it was designed when the athlon classics were available, and they can now be run on the riongate chipset at 2Xagp. I would appreciate anyone who has a classic running the GTS to give me some insight into the cards performance. All experiences are appreciated. Trying to get the right card without the headaches. Thanks all!!!!!!!!!!!!

Diemos

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
All I can say is dont expect it to work out of the box. Dont even bother with the bundle drivers. Download the nvidia 6.31 and install that fromm the getgo. Also make sure everything else is up-to-date(bios,mobo,sound,etc.) A lot of people are having probs because they dont start updating until they have a prob. My dad asked me this very ques when he wanted to get an ann2. He did the above and had no probs with his K7 700@900 on an Abit KA7. Hope I helped and good luck, Diemos

G

Does your motherboard have a VIA chipset?
If yes you could be heading for a cliff.

Check the forums at windrivers.com. Their crying foul over AMD\VIA\Nvidia combinations.

While I have DirectX 8.0, Driver set 7.17 (unofficial, but I have 'em) and WinME I still can't run a single DirectX game. OpenGL works great, so does the TV out on my Prophet Ultra, just no DirectX. It hangs from the first instance.

G

Well, if it going from a voodoo3 to a geforce2, youll be very very surprised. The problem with the geforces in the early days was actually an enetgy issue. The old geforces had a .25 micron die, now the gf2s have a .18 micron die. This smaller size means more speed and luckily for athlon owners, less power. So, the geforce 2 WILL work with your new motherboard. FYI, youll be happy.

G

And drivers shouldnt have an effect, although the newest drivers are always the best. My Asus k7V (kt133) ran a geforce2 mx and it worked out of the box.