Any Mac Users Here? I need help on some specs

Basically I'm planning to buy an Apple MacBook Pro with Retina Display and here are the specs I'm going to be buying, are these good enough??

16GB RAM
2.6GHZ i7
256GB SSD


Are these specs good enough and btw budget is not a problem for me. I'm asking more about the RAM and will this laptop be good enough to make videos for example the games I recorded from FRAPS on my PC? will it be able to render them probably in highest resolution?

what's the highest res it'll render properly at?

sorry I'm new to Apple that' why
7 answers Last reply
More about users here specs
  1. For the price of an macbook you could get one heck of a gaming/video editing machine. Just an fyi ;).

    the i7 and high amounts of ram are good when it comes to video editing / rendering.
    You've selected good specs.

    Still recommend building a pc. More bang for your buck!!
  2. unoriginal1 said:
    For the price of an macbook you could get one heck of a gaming/video editing machine. Just an fyi ;).

    the i7 and high amounts of ram are good when it comes to video editing / rendering.
    You've selected good specs.

    Still recommend building a pc. More bang for your buck!!


    not true....if you want durability, the apple product will outlast any pc...my 2009 macbook pro still runs circles around most new pc laptops
  3. FBA said:
    Basically I'm planning to buy an Apple MacBook Pro with Retina Display and here are the specs I'm going to be buying, are these good enough??

    16GB RAM
    2.6GHZ i7
    256GB SSD


    Are these specs good enough and btw budget is not a problem for me. I'm asking more about the RAM and will this laptop be good enough to make videos for example the games I recorded from FRAPS on my PC? will it be able to render them probably in highest resolution?

    what's the highest res it'll render properly at?

    sorry I'm new to Apple that' why


    you will love the laptop....don't get the 17 inch....15 is big enough for a laptop....the i7 will auto over-clock to about 3ghz so you are good as far as computing power goes...you won't regret it....trust me.
  4. nebun said:
    not true....if you want durability, the apple product will outlast any pc...my 2009 macbook pro still runs circles around most new pc laptops


    Im sorry and not trying to argue but that is purely a matter of opinion. When you look at it from a hardware perspective it's the same parts coming from the same place...

    Sure if you get a low end acer or something that's know for cheap parts don't expect it to last. But APPLE is not superior when it comes to quality of build. They use the same i7 from intel that any other provider does. It's about the quality of the laptop you buy.

    To be short. The ONLY difference between say a lenova and an apple is the OS.

    Btw OP i wasn't trying to persuade you away from apple (personally i hate the company.. thats my opinion not anyone elses) I was merely stating the FACT that a custom build PC (not lappy) Will double if not triple the performance to price ratio. That is a guarantee
  5. FBA said:
    Basically I'm planning to buy an Apple MacBook Pro with Retina Display and here are the specs I'm going to be buying, are these good enough??

    16GB RAM
    2.6GHZ i7
    256GB SSD


    Are these specs good enough and btw budget is not a problem for me. I'm asking more about the RAM and will this laptop be good enough to make videos for example the games I recorded from FRAPS on my PC? will it be able to render them probably in highest resolution?

    what's the highest res it'll render properly at?

    sorry I'm new to Apple that' why

    Once you have recorded the videos, It should not have any issues(from a system power point of view).

    You do not plan to "Play" the games on that system do you? It takes LOTS of video power to run that screen at good frame rates.

    You may also wish to ask in the OSX section of the forum as we DO have a number of Mac users who hang out here.

    http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/forum-69.html

    I am not 100% how the software on OSX works with the particular codec FRAPS uses to compress its videos. You may need to convert it to another format(I do not just mean .AVI .MPG. I mean FPS1 vs Xvid) first.
  6. The thing i would add is that HD space maybe an issue sure the 256 SSD drive is nice and fast but video (HD video even more) eats a lot of space plus, SDD operate best with a certain amount of free space always availible. Not to mention the more you write to a SSD the shorter its life span becomes.
  7. If you go with the Retina Macbook and plan to play games for extended periods, I advise a laptop cooler.

    Indeed, if you plan to do anything requiring either CPU or GPU fairly well-loaded, you should get the laptop cooler.

    Ten minutes of playing a video results in the CPU reaching 110C+.

    The retina macbook pro isn't a bad machine, it just isn't as focused in gaming as some people would like. Furthurmore, most games will be run in windows and the retina macbook pro has many snags in functionailty in Windows. (battery works significantly less well, touchpad works significantly less well, etc.)

    I'd like to point out that Apple is roughly average in actual need for warranty work (a hair better than Dell) according to IT companies and repair companies.

    In my previous company Apple products made up more than half of the show-stopping hardware problems in laptops from Jan 2012 to Aug 2012. Our company has less than 10% macs. The information about stellar build quality and durability is absolutely false. Current macs are average.

    I am not saying the retina macbook pro is a bad choice, but your post does not indicate a priority on the primary reason to own a mac... Mac OSX.

    The stats you list should handle anything you throw at it, but it will drive the price into the range at which a similar priced PC laptop would compete with enthusiast desktops.
    (SLI 680m with 3xxx X-series i7s, so roughly 3-4times as fast as the rmbp will ever get.)

    With such a budget, it just seems like a mismatch.
Ask a new question

Read More

Apple Laptops