Pirate Bay Clone Sees High Traffic, Disables Search

Status
Not open for further replies.

valcron

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2002
Ouch that hurts. Search was the most important feature of TPB. However props to him for working on this all on his own.

jerther

Distinguished
May 20, 2009
BTArena has removed search has been disabled due to
I take the opportunity to ask something. Seriously, Jane, I can understand there are a BUNCH of people here who would like to know if you revise your articles before you post them. Or else, what's happening? Quality isn't a priority?

Platypus

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2009
[citation][nom]jerther[/nom]I take the opportunity to ask something. Seriously, Jane, I can understand there are a BUNCH of people here who would like to know if you revise your articles before you post them. Or else, what's happening? Quality isn't a priority?[/citation]
Yeah, it's a tough seat to be in. You're expected to churn out a high volume of articles, and running through them with a fine-toothed comb wouldn't be very efficient. But at the same time, many readers find it difficult to take you seriously when the articles are guaranteed to have spelling and grammatical errors.

Obviously we keep coming back, though, so we're either extremely bored or don't find the mistakes serious enough to find a new site.

jerther

Distinguished
May 20, 2009
Oh, so you can actually edit the articles, unlike our comments :)

knowing that you're under a certain pressure, are people who point those mistakes helpful to you in some way?

JMcEntegart

Splendid
Aug 25, 2007
[citation][nom]jerther[/nom]Oh, so you can actually edit the articles, unlike our comments knowing that you're under a certain pressure, are people who point those mistakes helpful to you in some way?[/citation]

Helpful? Yes, but it can also be very frustrating. Pointing out mistakes is great, it means I can correct them. Having someone ask whether or not I care about quality is the kind of thing that ruins my weekend. Every person here who writes articles also proofs someone else's articles. So writing all of this is only a part of what I do, along with other things that I do for Tom's UK.

Oh and yes, we can edit articles, although I don't think you were serious about that bit. However, we can also edit our comments. :kaola: Ah to have power....

jerther

Distinguished
May 20, 2009
Having someone ask whether or not I care about quality is the kind of thing that ruins my weekend.
No offence intended, and I'm very serious, no offence :)

Let me just specify one point: I've seen a couple of people writing about article quality because of mistakes like this, and they're just complaining... I believe I may be one of the few who actually ask for truth. I'm glad to know a bit more about your job, this way I can understand better, and I hope I brang a bit of an external view of how a mistake can be viewed by readers :)

Please, have a good weekend still :p

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
I'm sorry but there really is no excuse. Simply reading your own article out loud would have fixed the error (and most errors) but it is clear you don't go through even the simplest steps to error check before posting. And if you do have your peers read the article before posting perhaps hiring a new set of peers would help because anyone with a college degree should be able to correct simple grammar errors and misplaced words.

It really shouldn't be too much to ask that a news site write articles that are not chalk full of errors.

ssalim

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2007
I agree with tayb... this is not a long article. For God's sake, it's only 3 paragraphs. Doesn't your editing software have a spelling and grammar check tool, or are you using notepad and type super fast then just hit upload/ftp button?

grieve

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2004
Jane…. Just so you know, I was kidding, I wasn't being a prick. We are all human and I’m certain every single one of us make errors every day.

The grammar police suck @ toms, I would prefer they stop or go elsewhere.

yekoor

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2009
Geez, stop complaining already, nitpickers, that's much more annoying than reading misspelled words. You really have too much time on your hands.

jerther

Distinguished
May 20, 2009
[citation][nom]yekoor[/nom]Geez, stop complaining already, nitpickers, that's much more annoying than reading misspelled words. You really have too much time on your hands.[/citation]
It's not just complaining this time...

-unknown-

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2009
Jane - Don't sweat any errors, we all (decent people) appreciate the effort you and all of Tom's goes through to post news.

As for everyone else complaining about grammar errors and getting critical, how about the fact that you're not paying to go on Tom's nor is anyone forcing you to. If you find it that offensive, go lead by example and create your own grammatically correct site or don't just don't visit Tom's. You wouldn't complain about a lack of salt in a free meal now would you?

Status
Not open for further replies.