Need help finding a laptop

Tags:
  • Laptops
  • Hewlett Packard
  • Product
Last response: in Laptop Tech Support
November 29, 2012 9:36:45 PM

Hey Guys,

Thanks for taking a look at my post. I have been looking at getting a laptop as my old HP DV2500 is getting sluggish when I play any types of games on it now. It's over 4 years old, and it's time for a new one.

I found this Acer on Newegg, and it is equipped nicely enough for what I would use it for...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Now, as I peruse the forums here I see that Acers have a bad rep, and seem to be junk. So, I ask if you know of any comparably priced/equipped laptops. I don't think I want to go any lower than an nVidia GeForce 650m GPU, so if you could help out, that would be great.

Understand that I have a wife and 2 kids. Yes I know that I could go get a Clevo/Sager, MSI or some other such laptop for twice the price and twice as good, but it's not feasible from a money standpoint. Assume that I have a $1000 limit. Thanks for the help!

More about : finding laptop

November 29, 2012 11:09:57 PM

Thanks for the input. I always thought that Acers were ok, not great, but not bad. However, perusing the forums here it seems a lot of people have problems with them nowadays.

Thanks also for the link, it is just a little bit old though, the laptops suggested in that link are outdated. Thanks for the assist though.
m
l
Related resources
November 30, 2012 1:00:57 AM

Anyone else have any ideas?
m
l
November 30, 2012 1:59:43 AM

Look into the Y500 or Y400 from Lenovo. Very good looking laptops, backlit keyboards and around the $800 price range. Same specs as that Acer. The kicker is the Y400/500 models have a bay that allow you to add in an extra fan, another GPU for sli etc which is very handy.

m
l
November 30, 2012 10:56:13 PM

BlazenDemon said:
Look into the Y500 or Y400 from Lenovo. Very good looking laptops, backlit keyboards and around the $800 price range. Same specs as that Acer. The kicker is the Y400/500 models have a bay that allow you to add in an extra fan, another GPU for sli etc which is very handy.

Do they offer it in a 17.3? I would like to get a larger laptop, I've been on a 14 for the last 4 years, and at 30, my eyes aren't getting any better as I get older and such. ;) 

Thanks for any further help!
m
l
December 3, 2012 1:08:32 AM

They do not offer a 17.3" laptop, 15.6" is the biggest they have for that model. I dont think Lenovo offers any powerful laptops at that size. You'll have to look elsewhere if you are looking for that size of a laptop.
m
l
December 3, 2012 3:29:17 AM

Deth by SnooSnu said:
Hey Guys,

Thanks for taking a look at my post. I have been looking at getting a laptop as my old HP DV2500 is getting sluggish when I play any types of games on it now. It's over 4 years old, and it's time for a new one.

I found this Acer on Newegg, and it is equipped nicely enough for what I would use it for...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Now, as I peruse the forums here I see that Acers have a bad rep, and seem to be junk. So, I ask if you know of any comparably priced/equipped laptops. I don't think I want to go any lower than an nVidia GeForce 650m GPU, so if you could help out, that would be great.

Understand that I have a wife and 2 kids. Yes I know that I could go get a Clevo/Sager, MSI or some other such laptop for twice the price and twice as good, but it's not feasible from a money standpoint. Assume that I have a $1000 limit. Thanks for the help!

I order a lot from newegg, EBAY,AMUZON But I found out the stranges thing OFFICE DEPOT will price mach any of them
and thay do repairs and secondly there every were, and they have close out sale.
m
l
December 3, 2012 5:45:12 AM

I've had a good experience with Acers, not so much with Toshibas and HPs.
m
l
December 3, 2012 4:14:13 PM

A PAWN SHOP DELL
I have a Dell inspiron mini 1012
has the bios locked
pass errorcode [01910]
tag [F1251P1]

Sysem Disabled [07437]
tag [F1251P1]
pHOENIX Secure Core (tm) SETUP Utility
m