Greyed/whited out icons in Windows Explorer

I have a problem which seems to have only just appeared as I have made a
fresh install of Windows XP (pro). When I look at certain files with Windows
Explorer, the icons appear greyed out. I have set "view" to show hidden
files and folders etc.

Here is an example of what I am seeing:

http://freespace.virgin.net/audio.files/files.gif

Under normal circumstances I would be able to see the icons as normal, but
not anymore. I would appreciate some help on how to fix this prblem.

Mike.

System Volume Information and RECYCLER are Hidden folders.

If you have Show hidden files and folders selected...

[[Hidden files and folders will appear dimmed to indicate they are not
typical items.]]

The only choices you have is to hide the Hidden folders again or live with
it.

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:zGBye.199$GV6.39@newsfe7-win.ntli.net,
Brayne Ded <b.potter@ntlworld.com> hunted and pecked:

> System Volume Information and RECYCLER are Hidden folders.
>
> If you have Show hidden files and folders selected...
>
> [[Hidden files and folders will appear dimmed to indicate they are not
> typical items.]]
>
> The only choices you have is to hide the Hidden folders again or live with
> it.
>
> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>
> Wes
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

Thanks for the reply Wes, but I think you misunderstood me. I'm not talking
about the System Volume info or Recycler folders, I am talking about the
files you see below them, such as alt.comp.hardware.dbx, david mike.dbx,
drafts.dbx etc. In my previous Windows install, the icons next to these
types of files were clearly visible. These are not the only files this
happens to, the link was just a small example, here's another, which shows
non-hidden system files: http://freespace.virgin.net/audio.files/files2.gif

It seems to me that the effect happens when there is no program installed
that has these file types associated with them. However, even though I have
OE installed, the associated files (DBX etc.) are still greyed out. In my
previous Windows installs, though the icons were default Windows types, at
least I could see them.

Mike.