e-Machine stuck in continual loop

I have a T-2042 eMachine that was pre-loaded with Windows XP Home Edition.
So I do not have a Windows XP installation CD. I have tried to boot to
Windows XP, but it just continually loops restarting over and over. I have
tried to go into safe mode and it won't let me enter safe mode of any kind,
nor will it allow me to enter windows using the last know good configuration.
I am trying to find a way to gain access somehow to be able to pull off
some recent docs that were not backed up yet. I only have the restore CDs
that came with the pc, and I am trying to avoid wiping out my HDD at least
until I can get the docs. Does anyone have any suggestions for doing
this???? Thanks!
--
nlee788
28 answers Last reply

    Install the hard drive as a slave in another computer and then copy
    everything you want.
    You may need to Take ownership if NTFS file system was used:
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=308421

    Contact eMachines for other possible options.

    --
    Jupiter Jones [MVP]
    http://www3.telus.net/dandemar

    "" wrote:
    > I have a T-2042 eMachine that was pre-loaded with Windows XP
    > Home Edition.
    > So I do not have a Windows XP installation CD. I have tried
    > to boot to
    > Windows XP, but it just continually loops restarting over and
    > over. I have
    > tried to go into safe mode and it won't let me enter safe mode
    > of any kind,
    > nor will it allow me to enter windows using the last know good
    > configuration.
    > I am trying to find a way to gain access somehow to be able
    > to pull off
    > some recent docs that were not backed up yet. I only have the
    > restore CDs
    > that came with the pc, and I am trying to avoid wiping out my
    > HDD at least
    > until I can get the docs. Does anyone have any suggestions
    > for doing
    > this???? Thanks!
    > --
    > nlee788

    Greetings nlee,
    You could have a hardware issue here or possibly a bad virus. Has your
    computer been upgraded since you have owned it :?: Have you changed
    any hardware or software lately :?: Out of the box, your machine
    only had 128mb of DDR Ram installed :!: and had a power supply of
    250watts :!: In my opinion 128mb RAM is not enough to effectively run
    WIN XP. I believe 256mb is bare minimum.

    I am wondering if you could have a memory issue here. If the memory
    chip has gone south you will not be able to start Windows XP. The
    Power Supply could also be a source of your present difficulty as
    eMachines power supplies were marginal at best.

    I would first pull the memory stick and get it tested at the local
    guru. He can check your power supply also if you don’t own a digital
    meter.
    Best regards,
    ultra_classic

    Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Help---Support-Machine-stuck-continual-loop-ftopict553560.html
    Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1756774

    I do have another pc I can try this with, but the OS is Win ME. Would that
    create any conflicts?
    --
    nlee788

    "Jupiter Jones [MVP]" wrote:

    > Install the hard drive as a slave in another computer and then copy
    > everything you want.
    > You may need to Take ownership if NTFS file system was used:
    > http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=308421
    >
    > Contact eMachines for other possible options.
    >
    > --
    > Jupiter Jones [MVP]
    > http://www3.telus.net/dandemar
    > http://www.dts-l.org
    >

    > "nlee788" <nlee788@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >I have a T-2042 eMachine that was pre-loaded with Windows XP Home Edition.
    > > So I do not have a Windows XP installation CD. I have tried to boot to
    > > Windows XP, but it just continually loops restarting over and over. I
    > > have
    > > tried to go into safe mode and it won't let me enter safe mode of any
    > > kind,
    > > nor will it allow me to enter windows using the last know good
    > > configuration.
    > > I am trying to find a way to gain access somehow to be able to pull off
    > > some recent docs that were not backed up yet. I only have the restore CDs
    > > that came with the pc, and I am trying to avoid wiping out my HDD at least
    > > until I can get the docs. Does anyone have any suggestions for doing
    > > this???? Thanks!
    > > --
    > > nlee788

    I have thought that it might be a virus because of the way it is acting. I
    only have Norton 2005 Anti-Virus. I used the CD to try to scan the HDD and
    it did not find anything, but that is not conclusive I know. I just can't
    get into safe mode, and I can get an A prompt but no C prompt. Very
    frustrating.

    I am going to try each oh the suggestions posted until if aor when something
    works.

    Thank you!
    --
    nlee788

    "ultra_classic" wrote:

    > "" wrote:
    > > I have a T-2042 eMachine that was pre-loaded with Windows XP
    > > Home Edition.
    > > So I do not have a Windows XP installation CD. I have tried
    > > to boot to
    > > Windows XP, but it just continually loops restarting over and
    > > over. I have
    > > tried to go into safe mode and it won't let me enter safe mode
    > > of any kind,
    > > nor will it allow me to enter windows using the last know good
    > > configuration.
    > > I am trying to find a way to gain access somehow to be able
    > > to pull off
    > > some recent docs that were not backed up yet. I only have the
    > > restore CDs
    > > that came with the pc, and I am trying to avoid wiping out my
    > > HDD at least
    > > until I can get the docs. Does anyone have any suggestions
    > > for doing
    > > this???? Thanks!
    > > --
    > > nlee788
    >
    > Greetings nlee,
    > You could have a hardware issue here or possibly a bad virus. Has your
    > computer been upgraded since you have owned it :?: Have you changed
    > any hardware or software lately :?: Out of the box, your machine
    > only had 128mb of DDR Ram installed :!: and had a power supply of
    > 250watts :!: In my opinion 128mb RAM is not enough to effectively run
    > WIN XP. I believe 256mb is bare minimum.
    >
    > I am wondering if you could have a memory issue here. If the memory
    > chip has gone south you will not be able to start Windows XP. The
    > Power Supply could also be a source of your present difficulty as
    > eMachines power supplies were marginal at best.
    >
    > I would first pull the memory stick and get it tested at the local
    > guru. He can check your power supply also if you don’t own a digital
    > meter.
    > Best regards,
    > ultra_classic

    > Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Help---Support-Machine-stuck-continual-loop-ftopict553560.html
    > Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1756774

    ultra_Classic,

    Sorry I did not answer the question as to recent hardware or software
    upgrade. No I have not upgraded at all in the two years I have had it. I
    was actually looking for memory last week. But I have not even cracked the
    case open. Thank you.
    --
    nlee788

    "ultra_classic" wrote:

    > "" wrote:
    > > I have a T-2042 eMachine that was pre-loaded with Windows XP
    > > Home Edition.
    > > So I do not have a Windows XP installation CD. I have tried
    > > to boot to
    > > Windows XP, but it just continually loops restarting over and
    > > over. I have
    > > tried to go into safe mode and it won't let me enter safe mode
    > > of any kind,
    > > nor will it allow me to enter windows using the last know good
    > > configuration.
    > > I am trying to find a way to gain access somehow to be able
    > > to pull off
    > > some recent docs that were not backed up yet. I only have the
    > > restore CDs
    > > that came with the pc, and I am trying to avoid wiping out my
    > > HDD at least
    > > until I can get the docs. Does anyone have any suggestions
    > > for doing
    > > this???? Thanks!
    > > --
    > > nlee788
    >
    > Greetings nlee,
    > You could have a hardware issue here or possibly a bad virus. Has your
    > computer been upgraded since you have owned it :?: Have you changed
    > any hardware or software lately :?: Out of the box, your machine
    > only had 128mb of DDR Ram installed :!: and had a power supply of
    > 250watts :!: In my opinion 128mb RAM is not enough to effectively run
    > WIN XP. I believe 256mb is bare minimum.
    >
    > I am wondering if you could have a memory issue here. If the memory
    > chip has gone south you will not be able to start Windows XP. The
    > Power Supply could also be a source of your present difficulty as
    > eMachines power supplies were marginal at best.
    >
    > I would first pull the memory stick and get it tested at the local
    > guru. He can check your power supply also if you don’t own a digital
    > meter.
    > Best regards,
    > ultra_classic

    > Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Help---Support-Machine-stuck-continual-loop-ftopict553560.html
    > Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1756774

    Hello
    This could be caused by a number of things. A virus is a possibility, but if
    I were you I'd reset the MBR (Master Boot Record). This can be done from the
    recovery console and also in other ways. First though do you know how to
    access the recovery console?

    Chelsea

    No I do not know how I can reach the recovery console. I have tried every
    selection on the screen and tried to access safe mode and it just continues
    to loop...restarting and shutting down over and over. I will try any
    suggestions. Thanks!
    --
    nlee788

    "Chelsea" wrote:

    > Hello
    > This could be caused by a number of things. A virus is a possibility, but if
    > I were you I'd reset the MBR (Master Boot Record). This can be done from the
    > recovery console and also in other ways. First though do you know how to
    > access the recovery console?
    >
    > Chelsea

    That will work as long as file system is FAT 32.
    If you are using NTFS, it will not work.

    --

    >I do have another pc I can try this with, but the OS is Win ME. Would that
    > create any conflicts?
    > --
    > nlee788
    >

    > "Jupiter Jones [MVP]" wrote:
    >
    >> Install the hard drive as a slave in another computer and then copy
    >> everything you want.
    >> You may need to Take ownership if NTFS file system was used:
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=308421
    >>
    >> Contact eMachines for other possible options.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Jupiter Jones [MVP]
    >> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar
    >> http://www.dts-l.org
    >>

    >> "nlee788" <nlee788@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> >I have a T-2042 eMachine that was pre-loaded with Windows XP Home
    >> >Edition.
    >> > So I do not have a Windows XP installation CD. I have tried to boot to
    >> > Windows XP, but it just continually loops restarting over and over. I
    >> > have
    >> > tried to go into safe mode and it won't let me enter safe mode of any
    >> > kind,
    >> > nor will it allow me to enter windows using the last know good
    >> > configuration.
    >> > I am trying to find a way to gain access somehow to be able to pull
    >> > off
    >> > some recent docs that were not backed up yet. I only have the restore
    >> > CDs
    >> > that came with the pc, and I am trying to avoid wiping out my HDD at
    >> > least
    >> > until I can get the docs. Does anyone have any suggestions for doing
    >> > this???? Thanks!
    >> > --
    >> > nlee788

    Hiya
    As you don't have a Windows XP CD you will only have one way of accessing
    the recovery console and that is by using boot disks. Microsoft recognise
    that computer builders do not always provide an installation CD and so make
    available a set of 3.5 inch diskettes that allow you to get into Windows XP.
    This is useless if you don't have a floppy drive and a working PC to make
    the boot disks with, but I'll assume you do. You can download a utility for
    making the boot disks here
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/results.aspx?freetext=xp+boot+disk&productID=&DisplayLang=en
    It is very important to choose the right one. So select the utility for
    Windows XP Home that corresponds to the service pack you have loaded on your
    PC. Once you have created your boot disks-I think there may be five in
    all-Boot your PC with Disk 1 in the A: drive. If your Bios is set to boot
    first from the hard disk you will have to change the boot order so that the
    A: drive boots first. Eventually you will get to a screen that asks if you
    want to install Windows XP or do a repair using the recovery console. Select
    to repair using the recovery console. The recovery console will load and you
    must enter the administrator's password before it will let you do anything.
    If you don't know the administrator's password leave that field empty and
    hope that it wasn't set by the system builder. Once that is done you need to
    reset the MBR. You can find out how to do that here
    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/Default.asp?url=/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/prkd_tro_ldau.asp

    and that hopefully will get Windows XP running once more, if not we'll need
    to rethink. Best of luck!

    Chelsea

    Hi,
    I can access the website at work and download the utility to the floppies,
    or I am sure I can use my daughter's pc to do it. I don't think there is an
    administrator's passwork, I hope not. I will give this a shot. Thank you
    all for your help and suggestions! I will be back to let you know what
    happens.
    --
    nlee788

    "Chelsea" wrote:

    > Hiya
    > As you don't have a Windows XP CD you will only have one way of accessing
    > the recovery console and that is by using boot disks. Microsoft recognise
    > that computer builders do not always provide an installation CD and so make
    > available a set of 3.5 inch diskettes that allow you to get into Windows XP.
    > This is useless if you don't have a floppy drive and a working PC to make
    > the boot disks with, but I'll assume you do. You can download a utility for
    > making the boot disks here
    > http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/results.aspx?freetext=xp+boot+disk&productID=&DisplayLang=en
    > It is very important to choose the right one. So select the utility for
    > Windows XP Home that corresponds to the service pack you have loaded on your
    > PC. Once you have created your boot disks-I think there may be five in
    > all-Boot your PC with Disk 1 in the A: drive. If your Bios is set to boot
    > first from the hard disk you will have to change the boot order so that the
    > A: drive boots first. Eventually you will get to a screen that asks if you
    > want to install Windows XP or do a repair using the recovery console. Select
    > to repair using the recovery console. The recovery console will load and you
    > must enter the administrator's password before it will let you do anything.
    > If you don't know the administrator's password leave that field empty and
    > hope that it wasn't set by the system builder. Once that is done you need to
    > reset the MBR. You can find out how to do that here
    > http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/Default.asp?url=/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/prkd_tro_ldau.asp
    >
    > and that hopefully will get Windows XP running once more, if not we'll need
    > to rethink. Best of luck!
    >
    > Chelsea

    Hi,

    Maybe I am doing something wrong, but I went to the site you linked to
    download the utility and inserted the first disk. I was not prompted to
    insert any other disks to continue the download to multiple disks. I
    received a message that the disk capacity is too small, insert a disk with a
    larger capacity. Operator error??

    Thanks!
    --
    nlee788

    "Chelsea" wrote:

    > Hiya
    > As you don't have a Windows XP CD you will only have one way of accessing
    > the recovery console and that is by using boot disks. Microsoft recognise
    > that computer builders do not always provide an installation CD and so make
    > available a set of 3.5 inch diskettes that allow you to get into Windows XP.
    > This is useless if you don't have a floppy drive and a working PC to make
    > the boot disks with, but I'll assume you do. You can download a utility for
    > making the boot disks here
    > http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/results.aspx?freetext=xp+boot+disk&productID=&DisplayLang=en
    > It is very important to choose the right one. So select the utility for
    > Windows XP Home that corresponds to the service pack you have loaded on your
    > PC. Once you have created your boot disks-I think there may be five in
    > all-Boot your PC with Disk 1 in the A: drive. If your Bios is set to boot
    > first from the hard disk you will have to change the boot order so that the
    > A: drive boots first. Eventually you will get to a screen that asks if you
    > want to install Windows XP or do a repair using the recovery console. Select
    > to repair using the recovery console. The recovery console will load and you
    > must enter the administrator's password before it will let you do anything.
    > If you don't know the administrator's password leave that field empty and
    > hope that it wasn't set by the system builder. Once that is done you need to
    > reset the MBR. You can find out how to do that here
    > http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/Default.asp?url=/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/prkd_tro_ldau.asp
    >
    > and that hopefully will get Windows XP running once more, if not we'll need
    > to rethink. Best of luck!
    >
    > Chelsea

  12. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Sort of, you are making a common error.
    Do not download to floppy.
    Instead download somewhere you can locate on the hard drive.
    Then double click the icon and follow the prompts.
    You will be prompted when to insert each floppy.

    --

    > Hi,
    >
    > Maybe I am doing something wrong, but I went to the site you linked to
    > download the utility and inserted the first disk. I was not prompted to
    > insert any other disks to continue the download to multiple disks. I
    > received a message that the disk capacity is too small, insert a disk with
    > larger capacity. Operator error??
    >
    > Thanks!
    > --
    > nlee788
  13. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Thanks! I won't be able to do that until I can get to another computer. I
    hope once I get the disks it will do the trick. I Really appreciate all the
    help!
    --
    nlee788

    "Jupiter Jones [MVP]" wrote:

    > Sort of, you are making a common error.
    > Do not download to floppy.
    > Instead download somewhere you can locate on the hard drive.
    > Then double click the icon and follow the prompts.
    > You will be prompted when to insert each floppy.
    >
    > --
    > Jupiter Jones [MVP]
    > http://www3.telus.net/dandemar
    > http://www.dts-l.org
    >

    > "nlee788" <nlee788@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > Maybe I am doing something wrong, but I went to the site you linked to
    > > download the utility and inserted the first disk. I was not prompted to
    > > insert any other disks to continue the download to multiple disks. I
    > > received a message that the disk capacity is too small, insert a disk with
    > > larger capacity. Operator error??
    > >
    > > Thanks!
    > > --
    > > nlee788

  14. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    "nlee788" wrote:
    >ultra_Classic,
    >
    >Sorry I did not answer the question as to recent hardware or software

    >upgrade. No I have not upgraded at all in the two years I have had
    >it. I
    >was actually looking for memory last week. But I have not even
    >cracked the case open. Thank you.
    Greetings nlee788,
    Glad you are hanging in there. Just a thought .... you have Norton AV
    2005. Good.... did you make an Emergency Boot disk as they suggested
    when you installed Norton? Better yet did they give one? I am not
    familiar with Norton but can their CD be used as an Emergency Boot
    Disk in case of a virus attack?
    Open your side cover and check the inside for DUST! Believe it or not
    but damp dust can stop you cold. Blow out under, around, and on the
    motherboard, also check and clean the fan/heatsink on the CPU. Check
    the fan on the power supply and clean it too.

    If nothing suggested helps, consider a virus :roll:

    Here is a spec sheet and list of memory and upgrade parts for your
    machine.
    http://www.pcfactoryoutlet.com/default.asp?source=&customerID=20057611250-65.1.21.201&storeID=4
    Use drop down menus on left and select Mfg. and then the Model
    Also here is a site that us eMachiners use...register and have a look.
    http://s2.invisionfree.com/emachineupgraders/index.php?

    You have gotten a lot of solid suggestions on this forum from
    everyone. I hope that one works out for you. Post back to this thread
    and let us know how you are doing. Your post with a solution may help
    someone else.
    Best of luck,
    ultra_classic :)
  15. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Hi ultra_Classic,

    Thanks, I will be able to try all these suggestions tomorrow. I really do
    appreciate all the good suggestions and help, I hope one of them works too!
    I really do not want to wipe out my HDD until I have tried all I can to get
    in there and get the docs I am after. That's going to have to be the last
    resort....I am a bit stubborn when I am trying to find a solution to a
    problem. Also, thanks for the link to the spec sheet. I will certainly post
    back to everyone and let you know what happens. This is a great place to
    find solutions!

    I did have an emergency Norton disk, but I have not been able to find it
    since a recent move. I do have a Norton CD which I tried to boot from and it
    ran a scan and did not detect anything, but I still could not reach the C
    prompt with it. I get an "invalid drive specification" message. I have
    checked the BIOS and the HDD is recognised, so I am hoping that is a good
    sign. I also went in and displayed the partition information...looked okay
    there.

    If I could just get to the C prompt I was going to try to find the dir my
    docs are in and try to copy them to disk that way. Then just FDISK, reformat
    the HDD and reload from the restore cds that came with the pc, and run a
    virus scan.

    Someone on this discussion also suggested I use another HDD to jump to the
    existing HDD by attaching it as a master and setting the existing as a slave.
    The other HDD I would be able to get a hold of and use does not have Win XP
    OS on it, it has Win ME. Can you tell me if that would that create a
    software conflict if I tried that? I do know that the existing drive is NTFS.
    As to your virus roll suggestion, sorry not that knowledgable....how would I
    do that? Thanks again!
    --
    nlee788

    "ultra_classic" wrote:

    > "nlee788" wrote:
    > >ultra_Classic,
    > >
    > >Sorry I did not answer the question as to recent hardware or software
    >
    > >upgrade. No I have not upgraded at all in the two years I have had
    > >it. I
    > >was actually looking for memory last week. But I have not even
    > >cracked the case open. Thank you.
    > Greetings nlee788,
    > Glad you are hanging in there. Just a thought .... you have Norton AV
    > 2005. Good.... did you make an Emergency Boot disk as they suggested
    > when you installed Norton? Better yet did they give one? I am not
    > familiar with Norton but can their CD be used as an Emergency Boot
    > Disk in case of a virus attack?
    > Open your side cover and check the inside for DUST! Believe it or not
    > but damp dust can stop you cold. Blow out under, around, and on the
    > motherboard, also check and clean the fan/heatsink on the CPU. Check
    > the fan on the power supply and clean it too.
    >
    > If nothing suggested helps, consider a virus :roll:
    >
    > Here is a spec sheet and list of memory and upgrade parts for your
    > machine.
    > http://www.pcfactoryoutlet.com/default.asp?source=&customerID=20057611250-65.1.21.201&storeID=4
    > Use drop down menus on left and select Mfg. and then the Model
    > Also here is a site that us eMachiners use...register and have a look.
    > http://s2.invisionfree.com/emachineupgraders/index.php?
    >
    > You have gotten a lot of solid suggestions on this forum from
    > everyone. I hope that one works out for you. Post back to this thread
    > and let us know how you are doing. Your post with a solution may help
    > someone else.
    > Best of luck,
    > ultra_classic :)

  16. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    "nlee788" wrote:
    >Hi ultra_Classic,
    >
    >Thanks, I will be able to try all these suggestions tomorrow. I
    >really do
    >appreciate all the good suggestions and help, I hope one of them
    works
    >too!
    >I really do not want to wipe out my HDD until I have tried all I can
    >to get
    >in there and get the docs I am after. That’s going to have to
    >be the last
    >resort....I am a bit stubborn when I am trying to find a solution to
    >
    >problem. Also, thanks for the link to the spec sheet. I will
    >certainly post
    >back to everyone and let you know what happens. This is a great
    place
    >to find solutions!
    >
    >I did have an emergency Norton disk, but I have not been able to find
    >it
    >since a recent move. I do have a Norton CD which I tried to boot
    from
    >and it ran a scan and did not detect anything, but I still could not
    >reach the C prompt with it. I get an "invalid drive specification"

    >message. I have checked the BIOS and the HDD is recognised, so I am
    >hoping that is a good sign. I also went in and displayed the
    >partition information...looked okay
    >there.
    >
    >If I could just get to the C prompt I was going to try to find the
    dir
    >my
    >docs are in and try to copy them to disk that way. Then just FDISK,
    >reformat
    >the HDD and reload from the restore cds that came with the pc, and
    run
    >virus scan.
    >
    >Someone on this discussion also suggested I use another HDD to jump
    >the
    >existing HDD by attaching it as a master and setting the existing as
    >slave.
    > The other HDD I would be able to get a hold of and use does not have
    >Win XP
    >OS on it, it has Win ME. Can you tell me if that would that create a

    >software conflict if I tried that? I do know that the existing drive
    >is NTFS.
    > As to your virus roll suggestion, sorry not that knowledgable....how
    >would I
    >do that? Thanks again!
    Greetings nlee,
    The more you post the more your situation points to a hardware issue.
    If you blow all the dust out, clean the fans/heatsink etc. and it’s
    still a no go, I would again suggest pulling out the Memory stick and
    getting it tested, along with the voltages on the power supply prior
    to wiping the drive. At this point you have nothing to lose.
    I believe what Jupiter was referring to was taking the HD from the
    computer with the problem and going to another working computer
    (should have WIN XP) and attaching it as a ’slave’ so it could be
    accessed and your files copied. I believe your current drive uses NTFS
    (New Technology File System) because of the WIN XP. I’m not sure if
    the WIN ME uses the NTFS file system or the FAT32 (File Allocation
    Table 32) like WIN98SE. This would create a problem for you. Hopefully
    both drives are formatted using the same file system.
    Remember that NTFS can read a FAT32 slave drive but not the other way
    around.

    Please let us know how you make out.
    Best of luck,
    ultra_classic :)

    Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Help---Support-Machine-stuck-continual-loop-ftopict553560.html
    Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1760218
  17. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Hello there. I've encountered the same problem. My XP Home Edition
    with SP2 is also stuck in an endless loop which started on July 6th. I
    tried booting in Safe Mode and all that but have had no luck. I hooked
    up an older computer to the internet and searched for a solution,
    stumbling upon this forum. I followed the advice below, but I'm
    confused about the MBR issue. I used the Setup Boot Disks (It required
    six.), and when I got to the screen for the repair I pressed "R". Then
    it asked for the administrator's password. I left it blank, but that
    was okay. Then I typed "fixmbr" - that was what I was able to gather
    from your link below explaining about the MBR. Now the computer is
    asking me if I want to write a new MBR. I don't know how to do this.
    I'm afriad I'm going to destroy all chances of recovering my computer
    if I proceed blindly like this. Please advise me how to proceed.
    Should I type "Y" or "N"? If I type "Y", what will be the next step?
    Thanks for your advice. Oh, by the way, the link you listed was for XP
    Professional. I don't know if that matters, but anyway I couldn't
    figure out what I should do next.

    - Kyle

    --
    kyle
  18. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    "kyle" <kyle.1rv31n@pcbanter.net> wrote in message

    > Hello there. I've encountered the same problem. My XP Home Edition
    > with SP2 is also stuck in an endless loop which started on July 6th. I
    > tried booting in Safe Mode and all that but have had no luck. I hooked
    > up an older computer to the internet and searched for a solution,
    > stumbling upon this forum. I followed the advice below, but I'm
    > confused about the MBR issue. I used the Setup Boot Disks (It required
    > six.), and when I got to the screen for the repair I pressed "R". Then
    > it asked for the administrator's password. I left it blank, but that
    > was okay. Then I typed "fixmbr" - that was what I was able to gather
    > from your link below explaining about the MBR. Now the computer is
    > asking me if I want to write a new MBR. I don't know how to do this.
    > I'm afriad I'm going to destroy all chances of recovering my computer
    > if I proceed blindly like this. Please advise me how to proceed.
    > Should I type "Y" or "N"? If I type "Y", what will be the next step?
    > Thanks for your advice. Oh, by the way, the link you listed was for XP
    > Professional. I don't know if that matters, but anyway I couldn't
    > figure out what I should do next.
    >
    > - Kyle

    Hi Kyle never thought about that statement being misleading ie asking if
    I want to write a new MBR. Don't worry you don't write the MBR the operating
    system does that for you.

    Chelsea
  19. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    "kyle" <kyle.1rxv1n@pcbanter.net> wrote in message

    > I copied the dcpromo.log onto Disk 6 as you advised. I booted up with
    > the disks and got to the Recovery Console. I typed the commands as you
    > advised. Unfortunately, the computer said it couldn't find the file. I
    > double-checked the disk using the other computer. The file dcpromo.log
    > definitely exists. I exited, and as before my computer went into its
    > loop. And it won't boot up Windows in Safe Mode, either. Oh well. . .
    > Looking forward to your reply.
    > Kyle

    Hello Kyle,
    I am foxed as to why that doesn't work. The dcpromo.log file is normally
    installed from within Windows, but as you are unable to get into Windows, I
    modified things to use the Recovery Console. If you would be prepared to
    persevere with this a little and can face another 10 minutes of tedium with
    the recovery console try this. Incidently I just tried this on a laptop
    using a USB A drive and can assure you it does work.

    In the Recovery Console type the following at the c:\windows prompt

    With diskette 6 in the drive type
    a:
    then type dir-can you see dcpromo.log on the diskette?
    Now type
    copy dcpromo.log c:\windows\debug

    Type c: and return -that takes you back to c:\windows prompt

    Finally type
    attrib +r c:\windows\debug\dcpromo.log

    Type exit

    Remove the diskette from the 3.5 inch drive and see what happens when
    Windows restarts.

    What I am trying to do is plug a vulnerability in the lsass service, which I
    think may be crashing everytime you start Windows. This is well known and
    causes the infinite loop that you are experiencing. So lets see how it goes.

    Chelsea
  20. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Hello everyone,

    Well, I spent the entire weekend trying to get into my hard drive--with no
    success. Since I was planning on upgrading my memory anyway, rather than
    trying to find a place around here to test the memory stick originally
    installed, I bought a new one and installed it. Still the same problem.

    I downloaded the installation disks from the MS site and tried to rewrite
    the MBR, got a success message. I do not have a full win xp installation
    disk so when after installing the setup files, it asked for the win xp
    cd....I was out of luck.

    I dug around and found an old pc of mine, but it had win me os on it, so
    though the system bios recognised the "sick" HDD slaved to the good HDD in
    the bios, I could not see it in the Win ME. So I went out and bought the Win
    xp home edition upgrade disk and upgraded the HDD from the old pc I had and
    slaved the "sick" HDD to the upgraded HDD and installed them both in the
    emachine, thinking I could get my files ( I also ran Norton 2005 anti
    virus.... it sound nothing).

    The emachine boots just fine from the upgraded HDD and I was able to see
    the "sick" HDD. BUT I cannot find any files. I went to the prompt and typed
    the drive letter to the sick drive and typed DIR. When I type DIR, there are
    no windows files, no program files, no doc file names. I ran a search in in
    Windows in the sick HDD using file names and it does not find anything. I
    think whatever attacked it corrupted everything and wiped out windows. The
    funny thing is, this is a 40GB HDD and Windows XP is reading it as a 10 GB.

    It doesn't look like I am going to be able to recover my documents...at
    least I am more at a loss at this point. I still have not reformatted the
    sick drive, so if by some chance someone has any last ditch magic to recover
    the data, I am still open to sugggestions.

    I do want to thank everyone for the great suggestions and the help. I will
    be coming back and posting.
    --
    nlee788

    "Chelsea" wrote:

    > "kyle" <kyle.1rxv1n@pcbanter.net> wrote in message
    > >
    > > I copied the dcpromo.log onto Disk 6 as you advised. I booted up with
    > > the disks and got to the Recovery Console. I typed the commands as you
    > > advised. Unfortunately, the computer said it couldn't find the file. I
    > > double-checked the disk using the other computer. The file dcpromo.log
    > > definitely exists. I exited, and as before my computer went into its
    > > loop. And it won't boot up Windows in Safe Mode, either. Oh well. . .
    > > Looking forward to your reply.
    > > Kyle
    > >

    > Hello Kyle,
    > I am foxed as to why that doesn't work. The dcpromo.log file is normally
    > installed from within Windows, but as you are unable to get into Windows, I
    > modified things to use the Recovery Console. If you would be prepared to
    > persevere with this a little and can face another 10 minutes of tedium with
    > the recovery console try this. Incidently I just tried this on a laptop
    > using a USB A drive and can assure you it does work.
    >
    > In the Recovery Console type the following at the c:\windows prompt
    >
    > With diskette 6 in the drive type
    > a:
    > then type dir-can you see dcpromo.log on the diskette?
    > Now type
    > copy dcpromo.log c:\windows\debug
    >
    > Type c: and return -that takes you back to c:\windows prompt
    >
    > Finally type
    > attrib +r c:\windows\debug\dcpromo.log
    >
    > Type exit
    >
    > Remove the diskette from the 3.5 inch drive and see what happens when
    > Windows restarts.
    >
    > What I am trying to do is plug a vulnerability in the lsass service, which I
    > think may be crashing everytime you start Windows. This is well known and
    > causes the infinite loop that you are experiencing. So lets see how it goes.
    >
    > Chelsea

  21. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Hi Greg Ro,

    I have been having similar problems to Kyle's. I went to the
    www.bootdisk.com site you posted, and I saw a utility called Active NTFS
    Reader. Would this possibly let me read and access the files on the HDD I am
    having trouble finding my documents on? I have slaved it to another HDD, but
    the files are not accessable or readable. Thnaks.
    --
    nlee788

    "Greg Ro" wrote:

    > I had all the problems on my emachine.
    >
    > I fixed it by getting windows 98se bootdisk with fdisk on it.
    > www.bootdisk.com
    >
    > (Note-you may need to change the bios to boot to the floppy first)
    > Does not matter if you disk is formated as NTFS-Still works.
    >
    > Let it boot up.
    >
    > Type fdisk /mbr
    >
    > Remove floppy. Restart.
    >
    > Greg R

  22. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    On Mon, 11 Jul 2005 08:05:02 -0700, "nlee788"
    <nlee788@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >Hi Greg Ro,
    >
    >I have been having similar problems to Kyle's. I went to the
    >www.bootdisk.com site you posted, and I saw a utility called Active NTFS
    >Reader. Would this possibly let me read and access the files on the HDD I am
    >having trouble finding my documents on? I have slaved it to another HDD, but
    >the files are not accessable or readable. Thnaks.

    Not sure on that.

    Greg Ro
  23. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Hi Nlee
    Check that the PC Bios is recognising your hard disk correctly? ie as 40GB

    Chelsea

> [...]
    >> using a USB A drive and can assure you it does work.
    >>
    >> In the Recovery Console type the following at the c:\windows prompt
    >>
    >> With diskette 6 in the drive type
    >> a:
    >> then type dir-can you see dcpromo.log on the diskette?
    >> Now type
    >> copy dcpromo.log c:\windows\debug
    >>
    >> Type c: and return -that takes you back to c:\windows prompt
    >>
    >> Finally type
    >> attrib +r c:\windows\debug\dcpromo.log
    >>
    >> Type exit
    >>
    >> Remove the diskette from the 3.5 inch drive and see what happens when
    >> Windows restarts.
    >>
    >> What I am trying to do is plug a vulnerability in the lsass service,
    >> which I
    >> think may be crashing everytime you start Windows. This is well known and
    >> causes the infinite loop that you are experiencing. So lets see how it

  24. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    After typing "dir" at the A: prompt, I see dcpromo.log.txt listed as one
    of the files. I typed "copy dcpromo.log c:\windows\debug", but once
    again it said it can't locate the file. I'm wondering if this is
    because on the drive it's being listed as dcpromo.log.txt. I took the
    disk and put it in the other computer. I checked the file name, which
    is dcpromo.log. Then I checked its properties. It's attribute is
    Archive. And its msdos name is dcpromo.log.txt. Should I change my
    command line to "copy dcpromo.log.txt c:\windows\debug"? I tried
    renaming the file with no success.
    -Kyle

    --
    kyle
  25. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    "kyle" <kyle.1s1kdv@pcbanter.net> wrote in message

    > After typing "dir" at the A: prompt, I see dcpromo.log.txt listed as one
    > of the files. I typed "copy dcpromo.log c:\windows\debug", but once
    > again it said it can't locate the file. I'm wondering if this is
    > because on the drive it's being listed as dcpromo.log.txt. I took the
    > disk and put it in the other computer. I checked the file name, which
    > is dcpromo.log. Then I checked its properties. It's attribute is
    > Archive. And its msdos name is dcpromo.log.txt. Should I change my
    > command line to "copy dcpromo.log.txt c:\windows\debug"? I tried
    > renaming the file with no success.
    > -Kyle

    Hi Kyle,
    that is really weird Kyle. The msdos name, dcpromo.log.txt, is the reason
    why the copy command is not working in the Recovery Console and it would
    almost certainly copy if you used

    copy dcpromo.log.txt c:\windows\debug

    But that is not any good because its the presence of a file with the name
    dcpromo.log that blocks the vulnerability in the Lsass process. I will see
    if I can find out why this name issue is occuring. Trouble is Kyle this was
    intended as a test and Lsass may not be your problem, particularly as you
    have SP2 installed. I'm conscious of the time this is taking you so maybe a
    different approach is needed here.Consider this

    and select how to run a repair install from the list. Might be worth a go.
    Remember to disconnect your machine from the Internet if you do this and
    after the repair-if Windows starts reapply SP2 before reconnecting to the
    Internet. Also reapply all hotfixes released after SP2. Good luck Kyle

    Chelsea
  26. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Hi Kyle,

    I was wondering if any of these suggestions solved your computer problem. I
    am still trying to resolve mine.
    --
    nlee788

    "kyle" wrote:

    > After typing "dir" at the A: prompt, I see dcpromo.log.txt listed as one
    > of the files. I typed "copy dcpromo.log c:\windows\debug", but once
    > again it said it can't locate the file. I'm wondering if this is
    > because on the drive it's being listed as dcpromo.log.txt. I took the
    > disk and put it in the other computer. I checked the file name, which
    > is dcpromo.log. Then I checked its properties. It's attribute is
    > Archive. And its msdos name is dcpromo.log.txt. Should I change my
    > command line to "copy dcpromo.log.txt c:\windows\debug"? I tried
    > renaming the file with no success.
    > -Kyle
    >

    > Chelsea Wrote:
    > > "kyle" kyle.1rxv1n@pcbanter.net wrote in message
    > >
    > > I copied the dcpromo.log onto Disk 6 as you advised. I booted up
    > > with
    > > the disks and got to the Recovery Console. I typed the commands as
    > > you
    > > advised. Unfortunately, the computer said it couldn't find the file.
    > > double-checked the disk using the other computer. The file
    > > dcpromo.log
    > > definitely exists. I exited, and as before my computer went into its
    > > loop. And it won't boot up Windows in Safe Mode, either. Oh well. .
    > > .
    > > Looking forward to your reply.
    > > Kyle
    > >
    > > -
    > > Hello Kyle,
    > > I am foxed as to why that doesn't work. The dcpromo.log file is
    > > normally
    > > installed from within Windows, but as you are unable to get into
    > > Windows, I
    > > modified things to use the Recovery Console. If you would be prepared
    > > persevere with this a little and can face another 10 minutes of tedium
    > > with
    > > the recovery console try this. Incidently I just tried this on a
    > > laptop
    > > using a USB A drive and can assure you it does work.
    > >
    > > In the Recovery Console type the following at the c:\windows prompt
    > >
    > > With diskette 6 in the drive type
    > > a:
    > > then type dir-can you see dcpromo.log on the diskette?
    > > Now type
    > > copy dcpromo.log c:\windows\debug
    > >
    > > Type c: and return -that takes you back to c:\windows prompt
    > >
    > > Finally type
    > > attrib +r c:\windows\debug\dcpromo.log
    > >
    > > Type exit
    > >
    > > Remove the diskette from the 3.5 inch drive and see what happens when
    > > Windows restarts.
    > >
    > > What I am trying to do is plug a vulnerability in the lsass service,
    > > which I
    > > think may be crashing everytime you start Windows. This is well known
    > > and
    > > causes the infinite loop that you are experiencing. So lets see how it
    > > goes.
    > >
    > > Chelsea
    >

    > --
    > kyle

  27. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Sorry for the delay getting back to you. I've been having an
    existential crisis with this computer thing. I need to ask you one
    thing before attempting the Repair Install of Windows XP. I don't have
    the Windows XP installation CD. All I have are the 6 boot disks that
    I'm using to access the Recovery Console. Can I still proceed with the
    Repair Install with only my boot disks? The link
    http://tinyurl.com/1h7d
    seems to make use of the CD.
    Still hanging in there,
    Kyle

    --
    kyle
  28. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Hi Kyle,
    Sorry if you don't have an installation CD you cannot do the repair I
    directed you towards. All is not lost however, particularly if you have
    System Restore switched on. If you have never touched it then it will be on
    by default. What you can try is putting a different registry in place and
    doing a system restore. This might get your system back ? Wish I could say
    this will get it back, but there is not very much to be lost by trying. If
    you want to try look at this http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=307545#kb1
    I know you are not getting the error messages mentioned, but this technique
    will give you access to a recent system restore point and a newish registry
    Best of luck and keep us informed.

    Chelsea

    "kyle" <kyle.1s8idt@pcbanter.net> wrote in message

    > Sorry for the delay getting back to you. I've been having an
    > existential crisis with this computer thing. I need to ask you one
    > thing before attempting the Repair Install of Windows XP. I don't have
    > the Windows XP installation CD. All I have are the 6 boot disks that
    > I'm using to access the Recovery Console. Can I still proceed with the
    > Repair Install with only my boot disks? The link
    > http://tinyurl.com/1h7d
    > seems to make use of the CD.
    > Still hanging in there,
    > Kyle