DVD/RW Gone!!!

July 5, 2005 5:43:15 PM

For some reason my DVD/RW and my CDRW are both gone from Windows Explorer.
This happened overnight. Worked fine one day and the next day both of them
had yellow bangs on them in Device Manager reporting that "Windows cannot
load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or
missing. (Code 39)"(both are using the native MS drivers). One is a Lite-On
LTR-52246S and the other is a Sony DVD RW DRU-510A. I know that there is no
physical problem with either unit as this is a dual boot system and I can
boot up in the other OS and both work fine.
I've tried to see if MS had any updated drivers for these units but couldn't
find any.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

More about : dvd

Anonymous
July 5, 2005 8:09:16 PM

CD-ROM Access Is Missing and Messages Cite Error Code 31, ­Code 32,
Code 19, or Code 39 After You Remove Easy CD Creator in Wi­ndows XP

To resolve this issue, follow these steps:

1. Start Registry Editor (Regedt32.exe).
[Start > Run and type: REGEDIT , and hit enter]

2. Locate the UpperFilters value under the following key in the registry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

3. On the Edit menu, click Delete, and then click OK.

4. Locate the LowerFilters value under the same key in the registry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

5. On the Edit menu, click Delete, and then click OK.

6. Quit Registry Editor.NOTE: After you remove the Upperfilters value and the Lowerfilters value,
if you notice lost functionality in a particular program, such as CD recording software, you may need
to reinstall that software. If the problem recurs, consult with the software vendor for assistance.

7. Restart your computer.

Also see:

Restore CD/DVD Drives
http://www.dougknox.com/xp/scripts_desc/xp_cd_dvd_fix.h...

[Courtesy of MS-MVP Doug Knox]

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"sims" wrote:

| For some reason my DVD/RW and my CDRW are both gone from Windows Explorer.
| This happened overnight. Worked fine one day and the next day both of them
| had yellow bangs on them in Device Manager reporting that "Windows cannot
| load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or
| missing. (Code 39)"(both are using the native MS drivers). One is a Lite-On
| LTR-52246S and the other is a Sony DVD RW DRU-510A. I know that there is no
| physical problem with either unit as this is a dual boot system and I can
| boot up in the other OS and both work fine.
| I've tried to see if MS had any updated drivers for these units but couldn't
| find any.
|
| Any help would be greatly appreciated.
| Thanks
July 5, 2005 8:14:04 PM

Your tips as well as the script Doug Knox wrote did the trick indeed.
Thanks for your assistance.
Have a great day.

"Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

> CD-ROM Access Is Missing and Messages Cite Error Code 31, ­Code 32,
> Code 19, or Code 39 After You Remove Easy CD Creator in Wi­ndows XP
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314060
>
> To resolve this issue, follow these steps:
>
> 1. Start Registry Editor (Regedt32.exe).
> [Start > Run and type: REGEDIT , and hit enter]
>
> 2. Locate the UpperFilters value under the following key in the registry:
>
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
>
> 3. On the Edit menu, click Delete, and then click OK.
>
> 4. Locate the LowerFilters value under the same key in the registry:
>
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
>
> 5. On the Edit menu, click Delete, and then click OK.
>
> 6. Quit Registry Editor.NOTE: After you remove the Upperfilters value and the Lowerfilters value,
> if you notice lost functionality in a particular program, such as CD recording software, you may need
> to reinstall that software. If the problem recurs, consult with the software vendor for assistance.
>
> 7. Restart your computer.
>
> Also see:
>
> Restore CD/DVD Drives
> http://www.dougknox.com/xp/scripts_desc/xp_cd_dvd_fix.h...
>
> [Courtesy of MS-MVP Doug Knox]
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP - Shell/User
> Microsoft Newsgroups

> "sims" wrote:
>
> | For some reason my DVD/RW and my CDRW are both gone from Windows Explorer.
> | This happened overnight. Worked fine one day and the next day both of them
> | had yellow bangs on them in Device Manager reporting that "Windows cannot
> | load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or
> | missing. (Code 39)"(both are using the native MS drivers). One is a Lite-On
> | LTR-52246S and the other is a Sony DVD RW DRU-510A. I know that there is no
> | physical problem with either unit as this is a dual boot system and I can
> | boot up in the other OS and both work fine.
> | I've tried to see if MS had any updated drivers for these units but couldn't
> | find any.
> |
> | Any help would be greatly appreciated.
> | Thanks

Anonymous
July 5, 2005 10:16:38 PM

Goto http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpcd.php#problems
See the second "problem" (read the caveats)
Run the provided registry patch

That should fix your problem (basically, a filter driver is missing or
non-operational, the registry patch will delete the filter drivers
references for your cdrom(s))

Basically, the reg file from above carries out the steps displayed at this
website

CD-ROM Drive or DVD-ROM Drive Missing After You Install Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;320553

CD-ROM Access Is Missing and Messages Cite Error Code 31, Code 32, Code 19,
or Code 39 After You Remove Easy CD Creator in Windows XP

(It'll fix code 41 errors too as per the contents of the last kb article)

--
Gary Tsang
Microsoft MVP - Windows XP Shell/User

!