Fido Band and Rogers Band

Last response: in Network Providers
June 9, 2005 11:28:02 AM

Fido uses 1 GSM band and Rogers uses a different GSM band. My friend bought
an unlocked Fido phone that only has 1 GSM band. He used to use his Fido SIM
in it without any problems and it would lock onto the Fido network. A few
months after Rogers bought Fido, when he placed a Rogers SIM in it, it would
lock onto Fido and say that it was "roaming" since Rogers customers are
getting free "roaming"/coverage on the Fido network. Now that Fido customers
in Montreal and some of the other cities now show permanently "roaming on
Rogers network" on their Fido phones, will my friend's phone still work when
he comes to Montreal or Canada and plugs in a Rogers or Fido SIM into it?

More about : fido band rogers band

Anonymous
June 9, 2005 6:42:46 PM

In article <7JVpe.19221$tf4.22542@wagner.videotron.net>,
Harry Eugene Ly <sambuson1@yahoo.com> wrote:
>Fido uses 1 GSM band and Rogers uses a different GSM band. My friend bought
>an unlocked Fido phone that only has 1 GSM band. He used to use his Fido SIM
>in it without any problems and it would lock onto the Fido network. A few
>months after Rogers bought Fido, when he placed a Rogers SIM in it, it would
>lock onto Fido and say that it was "roaming" since Rogers customers are
>getting free "roaming"/coverage on the Fido network. Now that Fido customers
>in Montreal and some of the other cities now show permanently "roaming on
>Rogers network" on their Fido phones, will my friend's phone still work when
>he comes to Montreal or Canada and plugs in a Rogers or Fido SIM into it?

The new Rogers' network will provide coverage on 850 MHz and 1900
MHz bands. While optimal coverage would be obtained with a phone that has
access to both 850 & 1900 bands, a 1900 phone will work -- just as it did
before.
Anonymous
June 10, 2005 12:59:59 AM

Thanks.