cd drive does not recognize blank cd

I am running windows xp on my gateway solo laptop. when i put an audio cd or
data cd in the drive, I can play and or see it's contents. when I put a
blank cd it doesn't recognize there is anything in the drive and repeatedly
asks my to insert the cd in the drive. This prohibits my being able to burn
on the cd. These are new cd's and I have used them before to burn data,
photos and music from the same drive on the same laoptop. I have
re-installed the drivers. still nothing. any advice?

If there is nothing on the cd then there is nothing to look at. That is
normal for a cdr. A formatted cdrw you will be able to open if it is blank.

"kalvarado" <kalvarado@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am running windows xp on my gateway solo laptop. when i put an audio cd
>or
> data cd in the drive, I can play and or see it's contents. when I put a
> blank cd it doesn't recognize there is anything in the drive and
> repeatedly
> asks my to insert the cd in the drive. This prohibits my being able to
> burn
> on the cd. These are new cd's and I have used them before to burn data,
> photos and music from the same drive on the same laoptop. I have
> re-installed the drivers. still nothing. any advice?

I can't copy to the cd. the problem is not that it is blank and there is
nothing to look at. the problem is that when I go to copy something,
anything, i keep getting a message taht reads "please insert a disk into
drive D:"
I have tried to reinstall my drivers, reboot, use different cd's, change the
speed, and use different burning solutions, windows, nero,etc. I can play
audio cd's, it can read data cd's, but does not recognize that there isa cd
in the drive when the cd is blank.