To those people angry about not getting their OS CD...

Last response: in Computer Brands
Share
April 22, 2005 11:19:49 PM

I just noticed that Dell actually has a utility that allows you to burn your
own:

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/supp...

This begs the question about why none of the support people mentioned this
though.

More about : people angry

Anonymous
April 23, 2005 2:40:51 AM

Why not ask them? Might be a reason.

Ted Zieglar

"Tiffany" <someone@somewhere.com> wrote in message
>I just noticed that Dell actually has a utility that allows you to burn
>your own:
>
> http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/supp...
>
> This begs the question about why none of the support people mentioned this
> though.

April 23, 2005 2:40:52 AM

Well I never contacted support. I was referring to the other people here who
actually called support to get a CD. I honestly didn't notice that the
install CD was missing until I browsed the threads in this newsgroup. I
tried the online chat thing but it kept timing out. Then I looked in the
Dell forums and there was that link I posted.

news:p eadnToMk40yKPTfRVn-qA@comcast.com...
> Why not ask them? Might be a reason.
Related resources
April 23, 2005 2:56:20 AM

On Fri, 22 Apr 2005 19:19:49 -0700, "Tiffany" <someone@somewhere.com>
wrote:

>I just noticed that Dell actually has a utility that allows you to burn your
>own:
>
>http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/supp...
>
>This begs the question about why none of the support people mentioned this
>though.

I have a brand new Dell 8400 w/XP Pro and - I get nothing when I
click on START | PROGRAMS | DELL ACCESSORIES | Dell OS Recovery CD.

So, now what?
Anonymous
April 23, 2005 2:56:21 AM

tedB@bommer.net wrote:

> On Fri, 22 Apr 2005 19:19:49 -0700, "Tiffany" <someone@somewhere.com>
> wrote:
>
> >I just noticed that Dell actually has a utility that allows you to burn your
> >own:
> >
> >http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/supp...
> >
> >This begs the question about why none of the support people mentioned this
> >though.
> >

> I have a brand new Dell 8400 w/XP Pro and - I get nothing when I
> click on START | PROGRAMS | DELL ACCESSORIES | Dell OS Recovery CD.
>
> So, now what?

Is your "Recovery CD" in the drive?

Notan
Anonymous
April 23, 2005 2:56:21 AM

>I have a brand new Dell 8400 w/XP Pro and - I get nothing when I
>click on START | PROGRAMS | DELL ACCESSORIES | Dell OS Recovery CD.

I do not even have a option for "Dell OS Recovery CD" on the menu.
Could you tell me the properties for that option and location of
program it launches ?

Best Regards,
Bob Johnson
http://www.goldsheetlinks.com
http://www.coinsheetlinks.com
Anonymous
April 23, 2005 3:19:26 AM

I enjoy the give and take that goes on in this group...well, most of the
time anyway...so much that I sometimes forget about Dell's own Community
Forum. It's a great place to get authoritative information and advice. And
it's moderated.

> Well I never contacted support. I was referring to the other people here
> who actually called support to get a CD. I honestly didn't notice that the
> install CD was missing until I browsed the threads in this newsgroup. I
> tried the online chat thing but it kept timing out. Then I looked in the
> Dell forums and there was that link I posted.

> news:p eadnToMk40yKPTfRVn-qA@comcast.com...
>> Why not ask them? Might be a reason.

April 23, 2005 3:44:40 AM

On Fri, 22 Apr 2005 22:02:19 -0600, Notan <notan@ddress.com> wrote:

>tedB@bommer.net wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, 22 Apr 2005 19:19:49 -0700, "Tiffany" <someone@somewhere.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>> >I just noticed that Dell actually has a utility that allows you to burn your
>> >own:
>> >
>> >http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/supp...
>> >
>> >This begs the question about why none of the support people mentioned this
>> >though.
>> >

>> I have a brand new Dell 8400 w/XP Pro and - I get nothing when I
>> click on START | PROGRAMS | DELL ACCESSORIES | Dell OS Recovery CD.
>>
>> So, now what?
>
>Is your "Recovery CD" in the drive?
>
>Notan

What "Recovery CD?"

I received no such CD with the computer.

Do I have to make one? If so, how?

(This is unbelievable that a company such as Dell would make such a
problem for its customers. Do they think that everyone is tech? I
will NEVER buy from them again.)
Anonymous
April 23, 2005 3:44:41 AM

tedB@bommer.net wrote:

> On Fri, 22 Apr 2005 22:02:19 -0600, Notan <notan@ddress.com> wrote:
>
> >tedB@bommer.net wrote:

> >> I have a brand new Dell 8400 w/XP Pro and - I get nothing when I
> >> click on START | PROGRAMS | DELL ACCESSORIES | Dell OS Recovery CD.
> >>
> >> So, now what?
> >
> >Is your "Recovery CD" in the drive?
> >
> >Notan
>
> What "Recovery CD?"
>
> I received no such CD with the computer.
>
> Do I have to make one? If so, how?
>
> (This is unbelievable that a company such as Dell would make such a
> problem for its customers. Do they think that everyone is tech? I
> will NEVER buy from them again.)

When I go to Start | Programs | Dell Accessories | Dell ResourceCD,
the same thing happens... Nothing.

The system is asking me to put the ResourceCD into the drive.

Did you receive *any* CDs with your system?

Notan
April 23, 2005 4:50:58 AM

On Fri, 22 Apr 2005 23:05:37 -0600, Notan <notan@ddress.com> wrote:

>tedB@bommer.net wrote:

>> >Is your "Recovery CD" in the drive?
>> >
>> >Notan
>>
>> What "Recovery CD?"
>>
>> I received no such CD with the computer.
>>
>> Do I have to make one? If so, how?
>>
>> (This is unbelievable that a company such as Dell would make such a
>> problem for its customers. Do they think that everyone is tech? I
>> will NEVER buy from them again.)
>
>When I go to Start | Programs | Dell Accessories | Dell ResourceCD,
>the same thing happens... Nothing.

I have no such menu item as Dell ResourceCD.

I have only Dell OS Recovery CD.

>The system is asking me to put the ResourceCD into the drive.
>
>Did you receive *any* CDs with your system?
>
>Notan

I got a disc for the CRT monitor, one for reinstalling the modem, one
for reinstalling WordPerfect, and 2 for reinstalling Sonic RecordNow.

Now, let me guess, the bastards sent me a second Sonic disc instead of
the ResourceCd you are mentioning? However, even if that is so, I
still am not getting *any* response at all when I click on Dell OS
Recovery CD. As I said, I do not have any menu item such as you
described which asks for "ResourceCD." There is no mention of such an
item in my menu.

I'd send Dell a blistering email, except it would probably end up in a
wastebasket, as, I'm sure, have others from a slew of angry customers
regarding this subject.
April 23, 2005 5:12:31 AM

On Fri, 22 Apr 2005 22:53:02 -0700, Bob Johnson <goldsheet@nospamyahoo.com> wrote:

>>I have a brand new Dell 8400 w/XP Pro and - I get nothing when I
>>click on START | PROGRAMS | DELL ACCESSORIES | Dell OS Recovery CD.
>
>I do not even have a option for "Dell OS Recovery CD" on the menu.
>Could you tell me the properties for that option and location of
>program it launches ?

I don't know what you mean by the "properties for that option."

I don't have a clue as to the program which it launches.

Here is the page where the instructions are. Try for yourself.

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/supp...

Evidently, I did not receive a CD I should have gotten.
But then maybe not. This whole thing is totally confusing.
I only know one thing for sure: Dell is dead as far as any
future purchases are concerned.

>Best Regards,
>Bob Johnson
>http://www.goldsheetlinks.com
>http://www.coinsheetlinks.com
Anonymous
April 23, 2005 9:00:02 AM

the CDR or whatever disc you are using to burn the OS too

<tedB@bommer.net> wrote in message
> On Fri, 22 Apr 2005 22:02:19 -0600, Notan <notan@ddress.com> wrote:
>
>>tedB@bommer.net wrote:

>>> I have a brand new Dell 8400 w/XP Pro and - I get nothing when I
>>> click on START | PROGRAMS | DELL ACCESSORIES | Dell OS Recovery CD.
>>>
>>> So, now what?
>>
>>Is your "Recovery CD" in the drive?
>>
>>Notan
>
> What "Recovery CD?"
>
> I received no such CD with the computer.
>
> Do I have to make one? If so, how?
>
> (This is unbelievable that a company such as Dell would make such a
> problem for its customers. Do they think that everyone is tech? I
> will NEVER buy from them again.)
April 23, 2005 9:00:03 AM

On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 05:00:02 GMT, "Dan Sgambelluri"
<dsgambelluri@shaw.ca> wrote:

><tedB@bommer.net> wrote in message

>>>Is your "Recovery CD" in the drive?
>>>
>>>Notan
>>
>> What "Recovery CD?"
>>
>> I received no such CD with the computer.
>>
>> Do I have to make one? If so, how?
>>
>> (This is unbelievable that a company such as Dell would make such a
>> problem for its customers. Do they think that everyone is tech? I
>> will NEVER buy from them again.)
>
>the CDR or whatever disc you are using to burn the OS too

I put a blank CD in the drive and clicked on the DELL OS RECOVERY CD
item in the START MENU. Nothing happened.

If I am supposed to have a special CD containing certain files on it
that activate the OS recovery? If so, I don't have it.

As an aside question, if I bought a legal copy of MS XP Pro OS from a
computer shop, would that work to put the OS back on this machine if I
ever lost it, or does DELL/MS have that simple effort thwarted
somehow also?

This is situation is absolutely UNBELIEVABLE.
Anonymous
April 23, 2005 9:00:04 AM

tedB@bommer.net wrote:
> "Dan Sgambelluri" wrote:
> ><tedB@bommer.net> wrote:

> >> What "Recovery CD?"
> >>
> >> I received no such CD with the computer.
> >>
> >> Do I have to make one? If so, how?
> >>
> >> (This is unbelievable that a company such as Dell would make such a
> >> problem for its customers. Do they think that everyone is tech? I
> >> will NEVER buy from them again.)
> >
> >the CDR or whatever disc you are using to burn the OS too
>
> I put a blank CD in the drive and clicked on the DELL OS RECOVERY CD
> item in the START MENU. Nothing happened.
>
> If I am supposed to have a special CD containing certain files on it
> that activate the OS recovery? If so, I don't have it.
>
> As an aside question, if I bought a legal copy of MS XP Pro OS from a
> computer shop, would that work to put the OS back on this machine if I
> ever lost it, or does DELL/MS have that simple effort thwarted
> somehow also?

You need SATA Drivers floppy which you create with Resource CD.

> This is situation is absolutely UNBELIEVABLE.

What a mess!
Anonymous
April 23, 2005 11:22:21 AM

tedB@bommer.net wrote:

> <snip>
>
> I got a disc for the CRT monitor, one for reinstalling the modem, one
> for reinstalling WordPerfect, and 2 for reinstalling Sonic RecordNow.
>
> Now, let me guess, the bastards sent me a second Sonic disc instead of
> the ResourceCd you are mentioning? However, even if that is so, I
> still am not getting *any* response at all when I click on Dell OS
> Recovery CD. As I said, I do not have any menu item such as you
> described which asks for "ResourceCD." There is no mention of such an
> item in my menu.
>
> I'd send Dell a blistering email, except it would probably end up in a
> wastebasket, as, I'm sure, have others from a slew of angry customers
> regarding this subject.

Sorry if my post was confusing... I wasn't suggesting that you should
have a ResourceCD Menu item, just that when there's a Dell Menu item,
in your case, "OS RecoveryCD," that it requires you to put that CD
into the drive.

It sure sounds like you got shorted on the appropriate CD!

Notan
April 23, 2005 1:02:41 PM

thanks for the info, I did exactly what the instructions said and I now have
copy of xp sp2. I wonder why support didn't tell me to use this option.
BTW it took about 15 minutes on a PM 1.6 laptop.
"Tiffany" <someone@somewhere.com> wrote in message
>I just noticed that Dell actually has a utility that allows you to burn
>your own:
>
> http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/supp...
>
> This begs the question about why none of the support people mentioned this
> though.

Anonymous
April 23, 2005 1:05:46 PM

This sure seems to be a situation that is not consistent with every Dell
shipped. I received my 2400 at the end of March and it did not include the
resource CDs with the drivers and such but it did include XP Home with SP2.
I have used it to format and reinstall on the 2400 without a problem. I am
wondering though since I ordered through the small business site could the
home site have different procedures?

Regards,
John O.

> On Fri, 22 Apr 2005 22:53:02 -0700, Bob Johnson
> <goldsheet@nospamyahoo.com> wrote:
>
>>>I have a brand new Dell 8400 w/XP Pro and - I get nothing when I
>>>click on START | PROGRAMS | DELL ACCESSORIES | Dell OS Recovery CD.
>>
>>I do not even have a option for "Dell OS Recovery CD" on the menu.
>>Could you tell me the properties for that option and location of
>>program it launches ?
>
> I don't know what you mean by the "properties for that option."
>
> I don't have a clue as to the program which it launches.
>
> Here is the page where the instructions are. Try for yourself.
>

> http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/supp...
>
> Evidently, I did not receive a CD I should have gotten.
> But then maybe not. This whole thing is totally confusing.
> I only know one thing for sure: Dell is dead as far as any
> future purchases are concerned.
>

>>Best Regards,
>>Bob Johnson
>>http://www.goldsheetlinks.com
>>http://www.coinsheetlinks.com

Anonymous
April 23, 2005 2:05:36 PM

>>>I have a brand new Dell 8400 w/XP Pro and - I get nothing when I
>>>click on START | PROGRAMS | DELL ACCESSORIES | Dell OS Recovery CD.

>Here is the page where the instructions are. Try for yourself.
>http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/supp...

Thank you for posting the URL. My 8400 does not even
have a "Dell OS Recovery CD" option available on the
START menu (as you originally described above),
so I am unable to try the suggested procedure.

Best Regards,
Bob Johnson
http://www.goldsheetlinks.com
http://www.coinsheetlinks.com
Anonymous
April 23, 2005 2:39:24 PM

tedB@bommer.net wrote:

>Notan <notan@ddress.com> wrote:

>>tedB@bommer.net wrote:

>>> I have a brand new Dell 8400 w/XP Pro and - I get nothing when I
>>> click on START | PROGRAMS | DELL ACCESSORIES | Dell OS Recovery CD.

>>> So, now what?

>>Is your "Recovery CD" in the drive?

>What "Recovery CD?"

>I received no such CD with the computer.

>Do I have to make one? If so, how?

>(This is unbelievable that a company such as Dell would make such a
>problem for its customers. Do they think that everyone is tech? I
>will NEVER buy from them again.)

Had you been following the discussions here in
alt.sys.pc-clone.dell in recent months you would have found out:

MS has "encouraged" Dell/Gateway/HP-Compaq/etc to cease providing
OEM OS install CDs to customers due to their perceived rampant
violations of the WinXP OEM user licenses which tie the OS to the
machine that was purchased.

Dell's, and other's, implementation of this is to put a hidden
partition on the HD containing a "Restore to original factory
install" setup. Note that in addition to reinstalling the
original WInWhatever OS, it will also reinstall all of the
superfluous Dell add-ins - the AOL, etc, goodies that are
responsible for most of us wanting an OS install CD so we can do
a clean reinstall.

The idea is that you can create an OS recovery CD from that
hidden partition, so that you can also do a recovery if that
hidden recovery partition is not accessible for some reason.

So far, it appears that Dell will ship the OS install CD on
request, although it may take an email call or two.

Since this is not a Gateway/HP-Compaq/whatever group, information
on their implementation of M$'s desires is not certain, but a few
anecdotal reports here would have it that they are also acceding
to Bill Gates' wishes in this. So good luck in finding a
non-major vendor to buy your next computer from, since you
probably won't want to buy from Gateway/HP-Compaq/etc who are
doing the same thing Dell is. You might want to look somewhere
like Alienware [http://www.alienware.com/]. At the prices they
charge, I suspect you'll still get the OS CD with your purchase
from them.
--
OJ III
April 23, 2005 3:57:15 PM

On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 10:39:24 -0400, Ogden Johnson III
<oj3usmc@yahoo.com> wrote:

snipped all

I have e-mailed Dell support via their support Web page interface.

I'll let you all know what happens when I get my answer.

I explained the problem, and I included the URL to their Web page
stating how to go about making the backup OS CD.

Plus I told them I had received 2 Sonic RecordNow CDs and asked what was
it I was supposed to get instead of the 2nd Sonic disc that I did get.

We shall see.
April 23, 2005 4:10:03 PM

On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 10:05:36 -0700, Bob Johnson

>>Here is the page where the instructions are. Try for yourself.
>>http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/supp...
>
>Thank you for posting the URL. My 8400 does not even
>have a "Dell OS Recovery CD" option available on the
>START menu (as you originally described above),
>so I am unable to try the suggested procedure.

I just got mine a week ago.

Gee, ain't it great dealing with a mainline company whose integrity and
workmanship are above reproach?

>Best Regards,
>Bob Johnson
>http://www.goldsheetlinks.com
>http://www.coinsheetlinks.com
April 23, 2005 5:53:20 PM

They did mention it. And I knew about the creation of the CD before I even
called them. But for my needs the recovery CD is not enough.

"Tiffany" <someone@somewhere.com> wrote in message
>I just noticed that Dell actually has a utility that allows you to burn
>your own:
>
> http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/supp...
>
> This begs the question about why none of the support people mentioned this
> though.

April 23, 2005 5:53:21 PM

It makes a full install CD. What needs do you have that this doesn't cover?

"Laura" <invalid@sample.invalid> wrote in message
> They did mention it. And I knew about the creation of the CD before I even
> called them. But for my needs the recovery CD is not enough.
>
> "Tiffany" <someone@somewhere.com> wrote in message
>>I just noticed that Dell actually has a utility that allows you to burn
>>your own:
>>
>> http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/supp...
>>
>> This begs the question about why none of the support people mentioned
>> this though.

April 23, 2005 5:56:57 PM

> tedB@bommer.net wrote:

>> >Is your "Recovery CD" in the drive?
>> >
>> >Notan
>>
>> What "Recovery CD?"
>>
>> I received no such CD with the computer.
>>
>> Do I have to make one? If so, how?
>>
>> (This is unbelievable that a company such as Dell would make such a
>> problem for its customers. Do they think that everyone is tech? I
>> will NEVER buy from them again.)
>
> When I go to Start | Programs | Dell Accessories | Dell ResourceCD,
> the same thing happens... Nothing.
>
> The system is asking me to put the ResourceCD into the drive.
>
> Did you receive *any* CDs with your system?

Those of us with new machines did not receive ANY OS or Recovery CDs with
the machine. That utility is designed to create our Recovery CD in lieu of
Dell sending us a OS CD. I haven't tried making mine yet. Maybe I should.
April 23, 2005 5:58:13 PM

> tedB@bommer.net wrote:
>>
>> <snip>
>>
>> I got a disc for the CRT monitor, one for reinstalling the modem, one
>> for reinstalling WordPerfect, and 2 for reinstalling Sonic RecordNow.
>>
>> Now, let me guess, the bastards sent me a second Sonic disc instead of
>> the ResourceCd you are mentioning? However, even if that is so, I
>> still am not getting *any* response at all when I click on Dell OS
>> Recovery CD. As I said, I do not have any menu item such as you
>> described which asks for "ResourceCD." There is no mention of such an
>> item in my menu.
>>
>> I'd send Dell a blistering email, except it would probably end up in a
>> wastebasket, as, I'm sure, have others from a slew of angry customers
>> regarding this subject.
>
> Sorry if my post was confusing... I wasn't suggesting that you should
> have a ResourceCD Menu item, just that when there's a Dell Menu item,
> in your case, "OS RecoveryCD," that it requires you to put that CD
> into the drive.
>
> It sure sounds like you got shorted on the appropriate CD!

That's the whole point of the conversation. Dell no longer provides OS CD or
Recovery CDs with new machines. They provide a utility designed to create
your own. Now it looks like that is not working for people either.
April 23, 2005 6:00:44 PM

"JJO" <jjo@nospam.ca> wrote in message
> This sure seems to be a situation that is not consistent with every Dell
> shipped. I received my 2400 at the end of March and it did not include the
> resource CDs with the drivers and such but it did include XP Home with
> SP2. I have used it to format and reinstall on the 2400 without a problem.
> I am wondering though since I ordered through the small business site
> could the home site have different procedures?

It appears that folks ordering PCs from the Small business side of the house
are getting different treatment from those of us that order Home systems.

My new machine came with the CDs for AOhell and the DVD/CD burning software
only. I did call yesterday and they are sending the OS and Driver CDs that
they NO LONGER provide to us.
April 23, 2005 6:03:19 PM

The directions or rather the url are contained on a paper CD looking disk.
BTW, that "copy" is only good if you have to reinstall the OS on THAT hard
drive. If you upgrade or change your hard drive that Recovery CD is no good.
As the name implies, it is a Recovery Cd and not a copy of XP SP2 for a
clean new hard drive install as you seem to believe.

"BigJIm" <Jim10277@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:D _idnaaI2ePv2vffRVn-2w@comcast.com...
> thanks for the info, I did exactly what the instructions said and I now
> have a
> copy of xp sp2. I wonder why support didn't tell me to use this option.
> BTW it took about 15 minutes on a PM 1.6 laptop.
> "Tiffany" <someone@somewhere.com> wrote in message
>>I just noticed that Dell actually has a utility that allows you to burn
>>your own:
>>
>> http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/supp...
>>
>> This begs the question about why none of the support people mentioned
>> this though.

Anonymous
April 23, 2005 6:03:20 PM

You mean, if, in the future the HD dies, or I want a larger HD, I can't
reinstall the OS from the CD that is created?

> The directions or rather the url are contained on a paper CD looking disk.
> BTW, that "copy" is only good if you have to reinstall the OS on THAT hard
> drive. If you upgrade or change your hard drive that Recovery CD is no
> good. As the name implies, it is a Recovery Cd and not a copy of XP SP2
> for a clean new hard drive install as you seem to believe.
>
> "BigJIm" <Jim10277@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:D _idnaaI2ePv2vffRVn-2w@comcast.com...
>> thanks for the info, I did exactly what the instructions said and I now
>> have a
>> copy of xp sp2. I wonder why support didn't tell me to use this option.
>> BTW it took about 15 minutes on a PM 1.6 laptop.
>> "Tiffany" <someone@somewhere.com> wrote in message
>>>I just noticed that Dell actually has a utility that allows you to burn
>>>your own:
>>>
>>> http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/supp...
>>>
>>> This begs the question about why none of the support people mentioned
>>> this though.

April 23, 2005 6:03:20 PM

If you call Microsoft they will give you a few extra activations to account
for hardware changes. It may be inconvenient, but that's MS's way of dealing
with Piracy of the Windows platform. Office also has the same activation
scheme.

"Laura" <invalid@sample.invalid> wrote in message
> The directions or rather the url are contained on a paper CD looking disk.
> BTW, that "copy" is only good if you have to reinstall the OS on THAT hard
> drive. If you upgrade or change your hard drive that Recovery CD is no
> good. As the name implies, it is a Recovery Cd and not a copy of XP SP2
> for a clean new hard drive install as you seem to believe.
April 23, 2005 6:03:21 PM

"Cathy De Viney" <NOSPAM.ccdeviney@cox.net> wrote in message
> You mean, if, in the future the HD dies, or I want a larger HD, I can't
> reinstall the OS from the CD that is created?

From tha MS web site:

" If you overhaul your computer by replacing a substantial number of
hardware components, it may appear to be a different PC. You may have to
reactivate Windows XP. If this should occur, you can call the telephone
number displayed on the activation screen to reactivate the software. "

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/evaluation/features/...
April 23, 2005 10:40:15 PM

> On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 10:39:24 -0400, Ogden Johnson III
> <oj3usmc@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> snipped all
>
> I have e-mailed Dell support via their support Web page interface.
>
> I'll let you all know what happens when I get my answer.
>
> I explained the problem, and I included the URL to their Web page
> stating how to go about making the backup OS CD.
>
> Plus I told them I had received 2 Sonic RecordNow CDs and asked what was
> it I was supposed to get instead of the 2nd Sonic disc that I did get.
>
> We shall see.

I got the CD for AOHell, Cyberlink PowerDVD, Sonic MyDVD and Word Perfect.
This is a lot less than I have gotten in the past from Dell.
April 23, 2005 10:40:16 PM

On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 18:40:15 GMT, "Laura" <invalid@sample.invalid>
wrote:

><tedB@bommer.net> wrote in message
>> On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 10:39:24 -0400, Ogden Johnson III
>> <oj3usmc@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>
>> snipped all
>>
>> I have e-mailed Dell support via their support Web page interface.
>>
>> I'll let you all know what happens when I get my answer.
>>
>> I explained the problem, and I included the URL to their Web page
>> stating how to go about making the backup OS CD.
>>
>> Plus I told them I had received 2 Sonic RecordNow CDs and asked what was
>> it I was supposed to get instead of the 2nd Sonic disc that I did get.
>>
>> We shall see.
>
>I got the CD for AOHell, Cyberlink PowerDVD, Sonic MyDVD and Word Perfect.
>This is a lot less than I have gotten in the past from Dell.

This whole mess is going to come back and them in their financial butt.
April 23, 2005 10:43:32 PM

"Bob Johnson" <goldsheet@nospamyahoo.com> wrote in message
news:o rvk619h35g2u72crqavjuvga4g4rk8725@4ax.com...

>>Here is the page where the instructions are. Try for yourself.
>>http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/supp...
>
> Thank you for posting the URL. My 8400 does not even
> have a "Dell OS Recovery CD" option available on the
> START menu (as you originally described above),
> so I am unable to try the suggested procedure.

The start menu entry on my machine is pointing to: C:\DELL\MEDIAEXE\ODM.EXE.

Are you also missing the Dell Accessaries folder in the start menu? Have you
been uninstalling the extra Dell bloatware?
April 23, 2005 10:47:39 PM

Correct. It is not an install CD but merely a Recover CD that accesses the
real OS install info on the hidden partition. This is why I want an install
CD. Under those circumstances a recovery CD is useless. And dealing with
Dell when you suspect your hard drive is failing is another story for
another day. But that being said it is because of my experience last summer
that is prompting me to make sure that I have an XP OS disk in addition to a
Recovery CD. They are NOT the same thing.

"Cathy De Viney" <NOSPAM.ccdeviney@cox.net> wrote in message
> You mean, if, in the future the HD dies, or I want a larger HD, I can't
> reinstall the OS from the CD that is created?
>

> "Laura" <invalid@sample.invalid> wrote in message
>> The directions or rather the url are contained on a paper CD looking
>> disk. BTW, that "copy" is only good if you have to reinstall the OS on
>> THAT hard drive. If you upgrade or change your hard drive that Recovery
>> CD is no good. As the name implies, it is a Recovery Cd and not a copy of
>> XP SP2 for a clean new hard drive install as you seem to believe.
>>
>> "BigJIm" <Jim10277@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> news:D _idnaaI2ePv2vffRVn-2w@comcast.com...
>>> thanks for the info, I did exactly what the instructions said and I now
>>> have a
>>> copy of xp sp2. I wonder why support didn't tell me to use this option.
>>> BTW it took about 15 minutes on a PM 1.6 laptop.
>>> "Tiffany" <someone@somewhere.com> wrote in message

April 23, 2005 10:47:40 PM

Did you actually make a CD and look at the files, or are you just assuming
that this is the case? The link I provided explicitly states that is is a "
Microsoft® Windows® Operating system CD".

> Correct. It is not an install CD but merely a Recover CD that accesses the
> real OS install info on the hidden partition. This is why I want an
> install CD. Under those circumstances a recovery CD is useless. And
> dealing with Dell when you suspect your hard drive is failing is another
> story for another day. But that being said it is because of my experience
> last summer that is prompting me to make sure that I have an XP OS disk in
> addition to a Recovery CD. They are NOT the same thing.
April 23, 2005 10:49:32 PM

That is not what I have been told. I have been told that it can only be used
to REINSTALL the OS and can not be used to INSTALL XP on a blank Hard drive.
It is a RECOVERY CD and not an XP OS CD.

> It makes a full install CD. What needs do you have that this doesn't
> cover?
>

> "Laura" <invalid@sample.invalid> wrote in message
>> They did mention it. And I knew about the creation of the CD before I
>> even called them. But for my needs the recovery CD is not enough.
>>
>> "Tiffany" <someone@somewhere.com> wrote in message
>>>I just noticed that Dell actually has a utility that allows you to burn
>>>your own:
>>>
>>> http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/supp...
>>>
>>> This begs the question about why none of the support people mentioned
>>> this though.

Anonymous
April 24, 2005 1:23:47 AM

<tedB@bommer.net> wrote
> It is becoming more and more obvious how MS/DELL have screwed all of us.

you folks need to cool your jets. i bought a dimension 3000 for my gfriend
about a month ago. i wasn't happy when i saw there was no OS cd to be
found. however, i contacted dell support via their chat interface and i
received the OS cd shipment in three days. your mileage may vary, but
that's my story.
April 24, 2005 1:34:13 AM

I did look at the CD. It appears to be an XP install disk but I won't be
able to tell for sure until my actual CD arrives next week to do a full
compare. I do know that several computer techs have told me that it will not
work on a new hard drive because there is no XP on the hidden partition. It
will only work to reinstall XP on the existing hard drive because the
install process accesses the hidden partition. Plus when I commented to the
Dell Tech support that my main objective was to be able to install XP on a
replacement Hard drive in the future they did not try and tell me that the
Recovery CD created by the utility would work. So for now I still believe
that we are better off having the real XP OS CD. YMMV

"Tiffany" <someone@somewhere.com> wrote in message
news:D pedndx8_pZAKfffRVn-vA@comcast.com...
> Did you actually make a CD and look at the files, or are you just assuming
> that this is the case? The link I provided explicitly states that is is a
> " Microsoft® Windows® Operating system CD".
>
> "Laura" <invalid@sample.invalid> wrote in message
>> Correct. It is not an install CD but merely a Recover CD that accesses
>> the real OS install info on the hidden partition. This is why I want an
>> install CD. Under those circumstances a recovery CD is useless. And
>> dealing with Dell when you suspect your hard drive is failing is another
>> story for another day. But that being said it is because of my experience
>> last summer that is prompting me to make sure that I have an XP OS disk
>> in addition to a Recovery CD. They are NOT the same thing.

Anonymous
April 24, 2005 1:34:14 AM

What is the point of this disc, if it can't be installed on a replacement
HD? If all you want to do is reinstall the OS to the HD that came with you
computer, all you have to do is something like CTRL-F11 as you boot...to
access the hidden partition on the current HD....you don't need a CD.

Isn't this correct?

"Laura" <invalid@sample.invalid> wrote in message
news:p bzae.105935$cg1.97573@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net...
>I did look at the CD. It appears to be an XP install disk but I won't be
>able to tell for sure until my actual CD arrives next week to do a full
>compare. I do know that several computer techs have told me that it will
>not work on a new hard drive because there is no XP on the hidden
>partition. It will only work to reinstall XP on the existing hard drive
>because the install process accesses the hidden partition. Plus when I
>commented to the Dell Tech support that my main objective was to be able to
>install XP on a replacement Hard drive in the future they did not try and
>tell me that the Recovery CD created by the utility would work. So for now
>I still believe that we are better off having the real XP OS CD. YMMV
>
> "Tiffany" <someone@somewhere.com> wrote in message
> news:D pedndx8_pZAKfffRVn-vA@comcast.com...
>> Did you actually make a CD and look at the files, or are you just
>> assuming that this is the case? The link I provided explicitly states
>> that is is a " Microsoft® Windows® Operating system CD".
>>
>> "Laura" <invalid@sample.invalid> wrote in message
>>> Correct. It is not an install CD but merely a Recover CD that accesses
>>> the real OS install info on the hidden partition. This is why I want an
>>> install CD. Under those circumstances a recovery CD is useless. And
>>> dealing with Dell when you suspect your hard drive is failing is another
>>> story for another day. But that being said it is because of my
>>> experience last summer that is prompting me to make sure that I have an
>>> XP OS disk in addition to a Recovery CD. They are NOT the same thing.

Anonymous
April 24, 2005 3:50:08 AM

"Cathy De Viney" <NOSPAM.ccdeviney@cox.net> wrote in message news:l0Bae.26809$gs4.11787@okepread05...
> What is the point of this disc, if it can't be installed on a replacement
> HD? If all you want to do is reinstall the OS to the HD that came with you
> computer, all you have to do is something like CTRL-F11 as you boot...to
> access the hidden partition on the current HD....you don't need a CD.

Well that reinstalls everything I believe, but the point still stands. If
the OS CD you create can only reinstall on an original HD that has
the restore partition, it would seem to be redundant.

IIRC, one thing you can do with a real OS CD is boot it and perform
repairs via the recovery console. Conceptually at least, I suppose the
CD you create could have the unique purpose of allowing you to do
that. But that seems like a stretch to me.

Not having the means to restore the OS (and apps) from optical media
to a new non-Dell HD is a rather serious issue if you ask me. I could
see Dell providing a means to create said CDs rather than providing
CDs, but I find it somewhat hard to believe that reinstall from created
CDs would be contingent upon having a Dell HD & restore partition.
If your HD failed you'd either have to acquire a new one from Dell,
or acquire a new one from elsewhere *and* an OS. Knowledgeable
users would be furious.
April 24, 2005 4:05:10 AM

That's my exact point. The Recovery Disk that dell has you create is only
good for the current hard drive. I have dealt with failed Dell hard drives
before and know that you need a *real* OS disk.

I have always used a recovery disk to reinstall the OS on an existing HD.
Dell does instruct you to use the Recovery disk for this purpose. I have
never seen them have you hit CTRL F11 while booting so I don't know if that
would work on these machines.

"Cathy De Viney" <NOSPAM.ccdeviney@cox.net> wrote in message
> What is the point of this disc, if it can't be installed on a replacement
> HD? If all you want to do is reinstall the OS to the HD that came with
> you computer, all you have to do is something like CTRL-F11 as you
> boot...to access the hidden partition on the current HD....you don't need
> a CD.
>
> Isn't this correct?
>
> "Laura" <invalid@sample.invalid> wrote in message
> news:p bzae.105935$cg1.97573@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net...
>>I did look at the CD. It appears to be an XP install disk but I won't be
>>able to tell for sure until my actual CD arrives next week to do a full
>>compare. I do know that several computer techs have told me that it will
>>not work on a new hard drive because there is no XP on the hidden
>>partition. It will only work to reinstall XP on the existing hard drive
>>because the install process accesses the hidden partition. Plus when I
>>commented to the Dell Tech support that my main objective was to be able
>>to install XP on a replacement Hard drive in the future they did not try
>>and tell me that the Recovery CD created by the utility would work. So for
>>now I still believe that we are better off having the real XP OS CD. YMMV
>>
>> "Tiffany" <someone@somewhere.com> wrote in message
>> news:D pedndx8_pZAKfffRVn-vA@comcast.com...
>>> Did you actually make a CD and look at the files, or are you just
>>> assuming that this is the case? The link I provided explicitly states
>>> that is is a " Microsoft® Windows® Operating system CD".
>>>
>>> "Laura" <invalid@sample.invalid> wrote in message

Anonymous
April 24, 2005 4:05:11 AM

> That's my exact point. The Recovery Disk that dell has you create is only
> good for the current hard drive. I have dealt with failed Dell hard drives
> before and know that you need a *real* OS disk.
>
> I have always used a recovery disk to reinstall the OS on an existing HD.
> Dell does instruct you to use the Recovery disk for this purpose. I have
> never seen them have you hit CTRL F11 while booting so I don't know if
> that would work on these machines.
>
> "Cathy De Viney" <NOSPAM.ccdeviney@cox.net> wrote in message
>> What is the point of this disc, if it can't be installed on a replacement
>> HD? If all you want to do is reinstall the OS to the HD that came with
>> you computer, all you have to do is something like CTRL-F11 as you
>> boot...to access the hidden partition on the current HD....you don't need
>> a CD.
>>
>> Isn't this correct?
>>
>> "Laura" <invalid@sample.invalid> wrote in message
>> news:p bzae.105935$cg1.97573@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net...
>>>I did look at the CD. It appears to be an XP install disk but I won't be
>>>able to tell for sure until my actual CD arrives next week to do a full
>>>compare. I do know that several computer techs have told me that it will
>>>not work on a new hard drive because there is no XP on the hidden
>>>partition. It will only work to reinstall XP on the existing hard drive
>>>because the install process accesses the hidden partition. Plus when I
>>>commented to the Dell Tech support that my main objective was to be able
>>>to install XP on a replacement Hard drive in the future they did not try
>>>and tell me that the Recovery CD created by the utility would work. So
>>>for now I still believe that we are better off having the real XP OS CD.
>>>YMMV
>>>
>>> "Tiffany" <someone@somewhere.com> wrote in message
>>> news:D pedndx8_pZAKfffRVn-vA@comcast.com...

April 24, 2005 4:05:11 AM

On Sun, 24 Apr 2005 00:05:10 GMT, "Laura" <invalid@sample.invalid>
wrote:

>That's my exact point. The Recovery Disk that dell has you create is only
>good for the current hard drive. I have dealt with failed Dell hard drives
>before and know that you need a *real* OS disk.

I found all the SATA and other driver placed by Dell in

C:\Drivers

It contains 6 folders:
Audio
Modem
Network
Storage
System
Video

That helps. Now to copy to a CD.
April 24, 2005 4:42:51 AM

it boots like a copy of xp
"Laura" <invalid@sample.invalid> wrote in message
> The directions or rather the url are contained on a paper CD looking disk.
> BTW, that "copy" is only good if you have to reinstall the OS on THAT hard
> drive. If you upgrade or change your hard drive that Recovery CD is no
> good. As the name implies, it is a Recovery Cd and not a copy of XP SP2
> for a clean new hard drive install as you seem to believe.
>
> "BigJIm" <Jim10277@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:D _idnaaI2ePv2vffRVn-2w@comcast.com...
>> thanks for the info, I did exactly what the instructions said and I now
>> have a
>> copy of xp sp2. I wonder why support didn't tell me to use this option.
>> BTW it took about 15 minutes on a PM 1.6 laptop.
>> "Tiffany" <someone@somewhere.com> wrote in message
>>>I just noticed that Dell actually has a utility that allows you to burn
>>>your own:
>>>
>>> http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/supp...
>>>
>>> This begs the question about why none of the support people mentioned
>>> this though.

April 24, 2005 4:48:31 AM

well it boots from cd but I have no use to install at this time/
need someone with a dell sitting around with a clean hard drive to try it
because if it is a real OS then you can install it on any dell system/

> That is not what I have been told. I have been told that it can only be
> used to REINSTALL the OS and can not be used to INSTALL XP on a blank Hard
> drive. It is a RECOVERY CD and not an XP OS CD.
>
> "Tiffany" <someone@somewhere.com> wrote in message
>> It makes a full install CD. What needs do you have that this doesn't
>> cover?
>>

>> "Laura" <invalid@sample.invalid> wrote in message
>>> They did mention it. And I knew about the creation of the CD before I
>>> even called them. But for my needs the recovery CD is not enough.
>>>
>>> "Tiffany" <someone@somewhere.com> wrote in message

April 24, 2005 5:51:20 AM

And where do either page say that the CDs created can be used on a new hard
drive where the OS is not on a hidden partition?

> http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/supp...
>
> http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/supp...
>
> "Laura" <invalid@sample.invalid> wrote in message
>> That's my exact point. The Recovery Disk that dell has you create is only
>> good for the current hard drive. I have dealt with failed Dell hard
>> drives before and know that you need a *real* OS disk.
>>
>> I have always used a recovery disk to reinstall the OS on an existing HD.
>> Dell does instruct you to use the Recovery disk for this purpose. I have
>> never seen them have you hit CTRL F11 while booting so I don't know if
>> that would work on these machines.
>>
>> "Cathy De Viney" <NOSPAM.ccdeviney@cox.net> wrote in message
>>> What is the point of this disc, if it can't be installed on a
>>> replacement HD? If all you want to do is reinstall the OS to the HD
>>> that came with you computer, all you have to do is something like
>>> CTRL-F11 as you boot...to access the hidden partition on the current
>>> HD....you don't need a CD.
>>>
>>> Isn't this correct?
>>>
>>> "Laura" <invalid@sample.invalid> wrote in message
>>> news:p bzae.105935$cg1.97573@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net...

Anonymous
April 24, 2005 6:47:57 AM

tedB@bommer.net wrote:

> On Fri, 22 Apr 2005 23:05:37 -0600, Notan <notan@ddress.com> wrote:
>

>>tedB@bommer.net wrote:

>>>What "Recovery CD?"
>>>
>>>I received no such CD with the computer.
>>>
>>>Do I have to make one? If so, how?
>>>
>>>(This is unbelievable that a company such as Dell would make such a
>>>problem for its customers. Do they think that everyone is tech? I
>>>will NEVER buy from them again.)
>>
>>When I go to Start | Programs | Dell Accessories | Dell ResourceCD,
>>the same thing happens... Nothing.
>
> I have no such menu item as Dell ResourceCD.
>
> I have only Dell OS Recovery CD.
>
>>The system is asking me to put the ResourceCD into the drive.
>>
>>Did you receive *any* CDs with your system?
>>
>>Notan
>
> I got a disc for the CRT monitor, one for reinstalling the modem, one
> for reinstalling WordPerfect, and 2 for reinstalling Sonic RecordNow.
>
> Now, let me guess, the bastards sent me a second Sonic disc instead of
> the ResourceCd you are mentioning? However, even if that is so, I
> still am not getting *any* response at all when I click on Dell OS
> Recovery CD. As I said, I do not have any menu item such as you
> described which asks for "ResourceCD." There is no mention of such an
> item in my menu.
>
> I'd send Dell a blistering email, except it would probably end up in a
> wastebasket

Mixed metaphor here, dude, an *email* in a *wastebasket*? Bit bucket,
maybe, not not a wastebasket.

Besides, that's irrelevant, they probably routinely toss any
communication from people who appear illiterate or deranged.
Anonymous
April 24, 2005 6:51:59 AM

Bob Johnson wrote:

>>Here is the page where the instructions are. Try for yourself.
>>http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/supp...
>

> Thank you for posting the URL. My 8400 does not even
> have a "Dell OS Recovery CD" option available on the
> START menu (as you originally described above),
> so I am unable to try the suggested procedure.

IIRC you need to have the Resource CD first and when you put it in your
CD drive you get the option to install the Dell Resource CD. That's how
it worked with my Dim 8400 anyway.
Anonymous
April 24, 2005 7:23:33 AM

Well, it calls it:

one Microsoft® Windows® Operating system CD

That sounds like a real OS CD to me.

We need someone to try it!

Tom
> And where do either page say that the CDs created can be used on a new
> hard drive where the OS is not on a hidden partition?
>
> "Cathy De Viney" <NOSPAM.ccdeviney@cox.net> wrote in message
>> http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/supp...
>>
>> http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/supp...
>>
>> "Laura" <invalid@sample.invalid> wrote in message
>>> That's my exact point. The Recovery Disk that dell has you create is
>>> only good for the current hard drive. I have dealt with failed Dell hard
>>> drives before and know that you need a *real* OS disk.
>>>
>>> I have always used a recovery disk to reinstall the OS on an existing
>>> HD. Dell does instruct you to use the Recovery disk for this purpose. I
>>> have never seen them have you hit CTRL F11 while booting so I don't know
>>> if that would work on these machines.
>>>
>>> "Cathy De Viney" <NOSPAM.ccdeviney@cox.net> wrote in message

Anonymous
April 24, 2005 4:26:11 PM

Good. Some day we won't have to listen to your childish rants and raves!

!