To those people angry about not getting their OS CD...

I just noticed that Dell actually has a utility that allows you to burn your
own:

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/kb/en/document?dn=1091713&c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19

This begs the question about why none of the support people mentioned this
though.
69 answers Last reply
More about people angry

    Why not ask them? Might be a reason.

    Ted Zieglar

    "Tiffany" <someone@somewhere.com> wrote in message
    >I just noticed that Dell actually has a utility that allows you to burn
    >your own:
    >
    > http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/kb/en/document?dn=1091713&c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19
    >
    > This begs the question about why none of the support people mentioned this
    > though.

    Well I never contacted support. I was referring to the other people here who
    actually called support to get a CD. I honestly didn't notice that the
    install CD was missing until I browsed the threads in this newsgroup. I
    tried the online chat thing but it kept timing out. Then I looked in the
    Dell forums and there was that link I posted.

    On Fri, 22 Apr 2005 19:19:49 -0700, "Tiffany" <someone@somewhere.com>
    wrote:

    >I just noticed that Dell actually has a utility that allows you to burn your
    >own:
    >
    >http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/kb/en/document?dn=1091713&c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19
    >
    >This begs the question about why none of the support people mentioned this
    >though.

    I have a brand new Dell 8400 w/XP Pro and - I get nothing when I
    click on START | PROGRAMS | DELL ACCESSORIES | Dell OS Recovery CD.

    So, now what?

    tedB@bommer.net wrote:

    > On Fri, 22 Apr 2005 19:19:49 -0700, "Tiffany" <someone@somewhere.com>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >I just noticed that Dell actually has a utility that allows you to burn your
    > >own:
    > >
    > >http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/kb/en/document?dn=1091713&c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19
    > >
    > >This begs the question about why none of the support people mentioned this
    > >though.
    > >

    > I have a brand new Dell 8400 w/XP Pro and - I get nothing when I
    > click on START | PROGRAMS | DELL ACCESSORIES | Dell OS Recovery CD.
    >
    > So, now what?

    Is your "Recovery CD" in the drive?

    Notan

    >I have a brand new Dell 8400 w/XP Pro and - I get nothing when I
    >click on START | PROGRAMS | DELL ACCESSORIES | Dell OS Recovery CD.

    I do not even have a option for "Dell OS Recovery CD" on the menu.
    Could you tell me the properties for that option and location of
    program it launches ?

    Best Regards,
    Bob Johnson
    http://www.goldsheetlinks.com
    http://www.coinsheetlinks.com

    I enjoy the give and take that goes on in this group...well, most of the
    time anyway...so much that I sometimes forget about Dell's own Community
    Forum. It's a great place to get authoritative information and advice. And
    it's moderated.

    On Fri, 22 Apr 2005 22:02:19 -0600, Notan <notan@ddress.com> wrote:

    >tedB@bommer.net wrote:
    >>
    >> On Fri, 22 Apr 2005 19:19:49 -0700, "Tiffany" <someone@somewhere.com>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >> >I just noticed that Dell actually has a utility that allows you to burn your
    >> >own:
    >> >
    >> >http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/kb/en/document?dn=1091713&c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19
    >> >
    >> >This begs the question about why none of the support people mentioned this
    >> >though.
    >> >

    >> I have a brand new Dell 8400 w/XP Pro and - I get nothing when I
    >> click on START | PROGRAMS | DELL ACCESSORIES | Dell OS Recovery CD.
    >>
    >> So, now what?
    >
    >Is your "Recovery CD" in the drive?
    >
    >Notan

    What "Recovery CD?"

    I received no such CD with the computer.

    Do I have to make one? If so, how?

    (This is unbelievable that a company such as Dell would make such a
    problem for its customers. Do they think that everyone is tech? I
    will NEVER buy from them again.)

    tedB@bommer.net wrote:

    > On Fri, 22 Apr 2005 22:02:19 -0600, Notan <notan@ddress.com> wrote:
    >
    > >tedB@bommer.net wrote:

    > >> I have a brand new Dell 8400 w/XP Pro and - I get nothing when I
    > >> click on START | PROGRAMS | DELL ACCESSORIES | Dell OS Recovery CD.
    > >>
    > >> So, now what?
    > >
    > >Is your "Recovery CD" in the drive?
    > >
    > >Notan
    >
    > What "Recovery CD?"
    >
    > I received no such CD with the computer.
    >
    > Do I have to make one? If so, how?
    >
    > (This is unbelievable that a company such as Dell would make such a
    > problem for its customers. Do they think that everyone is tech? I
    > will NEVER buy from them again.)

    When I go to Start | Programs | Dell Accessories | Dell ResourceCD,
    the same thing happens... Nothing.

    The system is asking me to put the ResourceCD into the drive.

    Did you receive *any* CDs with your system?

    Notan

    On Fri, 22 Apr 2005 23:05:37 -0600, Notan <notan@ddress.com> wrote:

    >tedB@bommer.net wrote:

    >> >Is your "Recovery CD" in the drive?
    >> >
    >> >Notan
    >>
    >> What "Recovery CD?"
    >>
    >> I received no such CD with the computer.
    >>
    >> Do I have to make one? If so, how?
    >>
    >> (This is unbelievable that a company such as Dell would make such a
    >> problem for its customers. Do they think that everyone is tech? I
    >> will NEVER buy from them again.)
    >
    >When I go to Start | Programs | Dell Accessories | Dell ResourceCD,
    >the same thing happens... Nothing.

    I have no such menu item as Dell ResourceCD.

    I have only Dell OS Recovery CD.

    >The system is asking me to put the ResourceCD into the drive.
    >
    >Did you receive *any* CDs with your system?
    >
    >Notan

    I got a disc for the CRT monitor, one for reinstalling the modem, one
    for reinstalling WordPerfect, and 2 for reinstalling Sonic RecordNow.

    Now, let me guess, the bastards sent me a second Sonic disc instead of
    the ResourceCd you are mentioning? However, even if that is so, I
    still am not getting *any* response at all when I click on Dell OS
    Recovery CD. As I said, I do not have any menu item such as you
    described which asks for "ResourceCD." There is no mention of such an
    item in my menu.

    I'd send Dell a blistering email, except it would probably end up in a
    wastebasket, as, I'm sure, have others from a slew of angry customers
    regarding this subject.

    On Fri, 22 Apr 2005 22:53:02 -0700, Bob Johnson <goldsheet@nospamyahoo.com> wrote:

    >>I have a brand new Dell 8400 w/XP Pro and - I get nothing when I
    >>click on START | PROGRAMS | DELL ACCESSORIES | Dell OS Recovery CD.
    >
    >I do not even have a option for "Dell OS Recovery CD" on the menu.
    >Could you tell me the properties for that option and location of
    >program it launches ?

    I don't know what you mean by the "properties for that option."

    I don't have a clue as to the program which it launches.

    Here is the page where the instructions are. Try for yourself.

    http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/kb/en/document?dn=1091713&c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19

    Evidently, I did not receive a CD I should have gotten.
    But then maybe not. This whole thing is totally confusing.
    I only know one thing for sure: Dell is dead as far as any
    future purchases are concerned.

    >Best Regards,
    >Bob Johnson
    >http://www.goldsheetlinks.com
    >http://www.coinsheetlinks.com

    the CDR or whatever disc you are using to burn the OS too

    <tedB@bommer.net> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 22 Apr 2005 22:02:19 -0600, Notan <notan@ddress.com> wrote:
    >
    >>tedB@bommer.net wrote:

    >>> I have a brand new Dell 8400 w/XP Pro and - I get nothing when I
    >>> click on START | PROGRAMS | DELL ACCESSORIES | Dell OS Recovery CD.
    >>>
    >>> So, now what?
    >>
    >>Is your "Recovery CD" in the drive?
    >>
    >>Notan
    >
    > What "Recovery CD?"
    >
    > I received no such CD with the computer.
    >
    > Do I have to make one? If so, how?
    >
    > (This is unbelievable that a company such as Dell would make such a
    > problem for its customers. Do they think that everyone is tech? I
    > will NEVER buy from them again.)

    On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 05:00:02 GMT, "Dan Sgambelluri"
    <dsgambelluri@shaw.ca> wrote:

    ><tedB@bommer.net> wrote in message

    >>>Is your "Recovery CD" in the drive?
    >>>
    >>>Notan
    >>
    >> What "Recovery CD?"
    >>
    >> I received no such CD with the computer.
    >>
    >> Do I have to make one? If so, how?
    >>
    >> (This is unbelievable that a company such as Dell would make such a
    >> problem for its customers. Do they think that everyone is tech? I
    >> will NEVER buy from them again.)
    >
    >the CDR or whatever disc you are using to burn the OS too

    I put a blank CD in the drive and clicked on the DELL OS RECOVERY CD
    item in the START MENU. Nothing happened.

    If I am supposed to have a special CD containing certain files on it
    that activate the OS recovery? If so, I don't have it.

    As an aside question, if I bought a legal copy of MS XP Pro OS from a
    computer shop, would that work to put the OS back on this machine if I
    ever lost it, or does DELL/MS have that simple effort thwarted
    somehow also?

    This is situation is absolutely UNBELIEVABLE.

    tedB@bommer.net wrote:
    > "Dan Sgambelluri" wrote:
    > ><tedB@bommer.net> wrote:

    > >> What "Recovery CD?"
    > >>
    > >> I received no such CD with the computer.
    > >>
    > >> Do I have to make one? If so, how?
    > >>
    > >> (This is unbelievable that a company such as Dell would make such a
    > >> problem for its customers. Do they think that everyone is tech? I
    > >> will NEVER buy from them again.)
    > >
    > >the CDR or whatever disc you are using to burn the OS too
    >
    > I put a blank CD in the drive and clicked on the DELL OS RECOVERY CD
    > item in the START MENU. Nothing happened.
    >
    > If I am supposed to have a special CD containing certain files on it
    > that activate the OS recovery? If so, I don't have it.
    >
    > As an aside question, if I bought a legal copy of MS XP Pro OS from a
    > computer shop, would that work to put the OS back on this machine if I
    > ever lost it, or does DELL/MS have that simple effort thwarted
    > somehow also?

    You need SATA Drivers floppy which you create with Resource CD.

    > This is situation is absolutely UNBELIEVABLE.

    What a mess!

    tedB@bommer.net wrote:

    > <snip>
    >
    > I got a disc for the CRT monitor, one for reinstalling the modem, one
    > for reinstalling WordPerfect, and 2 for reinstalling Sonic RecordNow.
    >
    > Now, let me guess, the bastards sent me a second Sonic disc instead of
    > the ResourceCd you are mentioning? However, even if that is so, I
    > still am not getting *any* response at all when I click on Dell OS
    > Recovery CD. As I said, I do not have any menu item such as you
    > described which asks for "ResourceCD." There is no mention of such an
    > item in my menu.
    >
    > I'd send Dell a blistering email, except it would probably end up in a
    > wastebasket, as, I'm sure, have others from a slew of angry customers
    > regarding this subject.

    Sorry if my post was confusing... I wasn't suggesting that you should
    have a ResourceCD Menu item, just that when there's a Dell Menu item,
    in your case, "OS RecoveryCD," that it requires you to put that CD
    into the drive.

    It sure sounds like you got shorted on the appropriate CD!

    Notan

    thanks for the info, I did exactly what the instructions said and I now have
    copy of xp sp2. I wonder why support didn't tell me to use this option.
    BTW it took about 15 minutes on a PM 1.6 laptop.
    "Tiffany" <someone@somewhere.com> wrote in message
    >I just noticed that Dell actually has a utility that allows you to burn
    >your own:
    >
    > http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/kb/en/document?dn=1091713&c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19
    >
    > This begs the question about why none of the support people mentioned this
    > though.

    This sure seems to be a situation that is not consistent with every Dell
    shipped. I received my 2400 at the end of March and it did not include the
    resource CDs with the drivers and such but it did include XP Home with SP2.
    I have used it to format and reinstall on the 2400 without a problem. I am
    wondering though since I ordered through the small business site could the
    home site have different procedures?

    Regards,
    John O.

    > On Fri, 22 Apr 2005 22:53:02 -0700, Bob Johnson
    > <goldsheet@nospamyahoo.com> wrote:
    >
    >>>I have a brand new Dell 8400 w/XP Pro and - I get nothing when I
    >>>click on START | PROGRAMS | DELL ACCESSORIES | Dell OS Recovery CD.
    >>
    >>I do not even have a option for "Dell OS Recovery CD" on the menu.
    >>Could you tell me the properties for that option and location of
    >>program it launches ?
    >
    > I don't know what you mean by the "properties for that option."
    >
    > I don't have a clue as to the program which it launches.
    >
    > Here is the page where the instructions are. Try for yourself.
    >

    > http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/kb/en/document?dn=1091713&c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19
    >
    > Evidently, I did not receive a CD I should have gotten.
    > But then maybe not. This whole thing is totally confusing.
    > I only know one thing for sure: Dell is dead as far as any
    > future purchases are concerned.
    >

    >>Best Regards,
    >>Bob Johnson
    >>http://www.goldsheetlinks.com
    >>http://www.coinsheetlinks.com

    >>>I have a brand new Dell 8400 w/XP Pro and - I get nothing when I
    >>>click on START | PROGRAMS | DELL ACCESSORIES | Dell OS Recovery CD.

    >Here is the page where the instructions are. Try for yourself.
    >http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/kb/en/document?dn=1091713&c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19

    Thank you for posting the URL. My 8400 does not even
    have a "Dell OS Recovery CD" option available on the
    START menu (as you originally described above),
    so I am unable to try the suggested procedure.

    tedB@bommer.net wrote:

    >Notan <notan@ddress.com> wrote:

    >>tedB@bommer.net wrote:

    >>> I have a brand new Dell 8400 w/XP Pro and - I get nothing when I
    >>> click on START | PROGRAMS | DELL ACCESSORIES | Dell OS Recovery CD.

    >>> So, now what?

    >>Is your "Recovery CD" in the drive?

    >What "Recovery CD?"

    >I received no such CD with the computer.

    >Do I have to make one? If so, how?

    >(This is unbelievable that a company such as Dell would make such a
    >problem for its customers. Do they think that everyone is tech? I
    >will NEVER buy from them again.)

    Had you been following the discussions here in
    alt.sys.pc-clone.dell in recent months you would have found out:

    MS has "encouraged" Dell/Gateway/HP-Compaq/etc to cease providing
    OEM OS install CDs to customers due to their perceived rampant
    violations of the WinXP OEM user licenses which tie the OS to the
    machine that was purchased.

    Dell's, and other's, implementation of this is to put a hidden
    partition on the HD containing a "Restore to original factory
    install" setup. Note that in addition to reinstalling the
    original WInWhatever OS, it will also reinstall all of the
    superfluous Dell add-ins - the AOL, etc, goodies that are
    responsible for most of us wanting an OS install CD so we can do
    a clean reinstall.

    The idea is that you can create an OS recovery CD from that
    hidden partition, so that you can also do a recovery if that
    hidden recovery partition is not accessible for some reason.

    So far, it appears that Dell will ship the OS install CD on
    request, although it may take an email call or two.

    Since this is not a Gateway/HP-Compaq/whatever group, information
    on their implementation of M$'s desires is not certain, but a few
    anecdotal reports here would have it that they are also acceding
    to Bill Gates' wishes in this. So good luck in finding a
    non-major vendor to buy your next computer from, since you
    probably won't want to buy from Gateway/HP-Compaq/etc who are
    doing the same thing Dell is. You might want to look somewhere
    like Alienware [http://www.alienware.com/]. At the prices they
    charge, I suspect you'll still get the OS CD with your purchase
    from them.
    --
    OJ III

    On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 10:39:24 -0400, Ogden Johnson III
    <oj3usmc@yahoo.com> wrote:

    snipped all

    I have e-mailed Dell support via their support Web page interface.

    I'll let you all know what happens when I get my answer.

    I explained the problem, and I included the URL to their Web page
    stating how to go about making the backup OS CD.

    Plus I told them I had received 2 Sonic RecordNow CDs and asked what was
    it I was supposed to get instead of the 2nd Sonic disc that I did get.

    We shall see.

    On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 10:05:36 -0700, Bob Johnson

    >>Here is the page where the instructions are. Try for yourself.
    >>http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/kb/en/document?dn=1091713&c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19
    >
    >Thank you for posting the URL. My 8400 does not even
    >have a "Dell OS Recovery CD" option available on the
    >START menu (as you originally described above),
    >so I am unable to try the suggested procedure.

    I just got mine a week ago.

    Gee, ain't it great dealing with a mainline company whose integrity and
    workmanship are above reproach?

    >Best Regards,
    >Bob Johnson
    >http://www.goldsheetlinks.com
    >http://www.coinsheetlinks.com

    They did mention it. And I knew about the creation of the CD before I even
    called them. But for my needs the recovery CD is not enough.

    "Tiffany" <someone@somewhere.com> wrote in message
    >I just noticed that Dell actually has a utility that allows you to burn
    >your own:
    >
    > http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/kb/en/document?dn=1091713&c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19
    >
    > This begs the question about why none of the support people mentioned this
    > though.

    It makes a full install CD. What needs do you have that this doesn't cover?

    > tedB@bommer.net wrote:

    >> >Is your "Recovery CD" in the drive?
    >> >
    >> >Notan
    >>
    >> What "Recovery CD?"
    >>
    >> I received no such CD with the computer.
    >>
    >> Do I have to make one? If so, how?
    >>
    >> (This is unbelievable that a company such as Dell would make such a
    >> problem for its customers. Do they think that everyone is tech? I
    >> will NEVER buy from them again.)
    >
    > When I go to Start | Programs | Dell Accessories | Dell ResourceCD,
    > the same thing happens... Nothing.
    >
    > The system is asking me to put the ResourceCD into the drive.
    >
    > Did you receive *any* CDs with your system?

    Those of us with new machines did not receive ANY OS or Recovery CDs with
    the machine. That utility is designed to create our Recovery CD in lieu of
    Dell sending us a OS CD. I haven't tried making mine yet. Maybe I should.

    > tedB@bommer.net wrote:
    >>
    >> <snip>
    >>
    >> I got a disc for the CRT monitor, one for reinstalling the modem, one
    >> for reinstalling WordPerfect, and 2 for reinstalling Sonic RecordNow.
    >>
    >> Now, let me guess, the bastards sent me a second Sonic disc instead of
    >> the ResourceCd you are mentioning? However, even if that is so, I
    >> still am not getting *any* response at all when I click on Dell OS
    >> Recovery CD. As I said, I do not have any menu item such as you
    >> described which asks for "ResourceCD." There is no mention of such an
    >> item in my menu.
    >>
    >> I'd send Dell a blistering email, except it would probably end up in a
    >> wastebasket, as, I'm sure, have others from a slew of angry customers
    >> regarding this subject.
    >
    > Sorry if my post was confusing... I wasn't suggesting that you should
    > have a ResourceCD Menu item, just that when there's a Dell Menu item,
    > in your case, "OS RecoveryCD," that it requires you to put that CD
    > into the drive.
    >
    > It sure sounds like you got shorted on the appropriate CD!

    That's the whole point of the conversation. Dell no longer provides OS CD or
    Recovery CDs with new machines. They provide a utility designed to create
    your own. Now it looks like that is not working for people either.

    "JJO" <jjo@nospam.ca> wrote in message
    > This sure seems to be a situation that is not consistent with every Dell
    > shipped. I received my 2400 at the end of March and it did not include the
    > resource CDs with the drivers and such but it did include XP Home with
    > SP2. I have used it to format and reinstall on the 2400 without a problem.
    > I am wondering though since I ordered through the small business site
    > could the home site have different procedures?

    It appears that folks ordering PCs from the Small business side of the house
    are getting different treatment from those of us that order Home systems.

    My new machine came with the CDs for AOhell and the DVD/CD burning software
    only. I did call yesterday and they are sending the OS and Driver CDs that
    they NO LONGER provide to us.
  26. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    The directions or rather the url are contained on a paper CD looking disk.
    BTW, that "copy" is only good if you have to reinstall the OS on THAT hard
    drive. If you upgrade or change your hard drive that Recovery CD is no good.
    As the name implies, it is a Recovery Cd and not a copy of XP SP2 for a
    clean new hard drive install as you seem to believe.

    "BigJIm" <Jim10277@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > thanks for the info, I did exactly what the instructions said and I now
    > have a
    > copy of xp sp2. I wonder why support didn't tell me to use this option.
    > BTW it took about 15 minutes on a PM 1.6 laptop.
    > "Tiffany" <someone@somewhere.com> wrote in message
    >>I just noticed that Dell actually has a utility that allows you to burn
    >>your own:
    >>
    >> http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/kb/en/document?dn=1091713&c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19
    >>
    >> This begs the question about why none of the support people mentioned
    >> this though.

  27. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    You mean, if, in the future the HD dies, or I want a larger HD, I can't
    reinstall the OS from the CD that is created?

    > The directions or rather the url are contained on a paper CD looking disk.
    > BTW, that "copy" is only good if you have to reinstall the OS on THAT hard
    > drive. If you upgrade or change your hard drive that Recovery CD is no
    > good. As the name implies, it is a Recovery Cd and not a copy of XP SP2
    > for a clean new hard drive install as you seem to believe.
    >
    > "BigJIm" <Jim10277@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> thanks for the info, I did exactly what the instructions said and I now
    >> have a
    >> copy of xp sp2. I wonder why support didn't tell me to use this option.
    >> BTW it took about 15 minutes on a PM 1.6 laptop.
    >> "Tiffany" <someone@somewhere.com> wrote in message
    >>>I just noticed that Dell actually has a utility that allows you to burn
    >>>your own:
    >>>
    >>> http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/kb/en/document?dn=1091713&c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19
    >>>
    >>> This begs the question about why none of the support people mentioned
    >>> this though.

  28. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    If you call Microsoft they will give you a few extra activations to account
    for hardware changes. It may be inconvenient, but that's MS's way of dealing
    with Piracy of the Windows platform. Office also has the same activation
    scheme.

    "Laura" <invalid@sample.invalid> wrote in message
    > The directions or rather the url are contained on a paper CD looking disk.
    > BTW, that "copy" is only good if you have to reinstall the OS on THAT hard
    > drive. If you upgrade or change your hard drive that Recovery CD is no
    > good. As the name implies, it is a Recovery Cd and not a copy of XP SP2
    > for a clean new hard drive install as you seem to believe.
  29. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    "Cathy De Viney" <NOSPAM.ccdeviney@cox.net> wrote in message
    > You mean, if, in the future the HD dies, or I want a larger HD, I can't
    > reinstall the OS from the CD that is created?

    From tha MS web site:

    " If you overhaul your computer by replacing a substantial number of
    hardware components, it may appear to be a different PC. You may have to
    reactivate Windows XP. If this should occur, you can call the telephone
    number displayed on the activation screen to reactivate the software. "

    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/evaluation/features/activation.mspx
  30. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    > On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 10:39:24 -0400, Ogden Johnson III
    > <oj3usmc@yahoo.com> wrote:
    >
    > snipped all
    >
    > I have e-mailed Dell support via their support Web page interface.
    >
    > I'll let you all know what happens when I get my answer.
    >
    > I explained the problem, and I included the URL to their Web page
    > stating how to go about making the backup OS CD.
    >
    > Plus I told them I had received 2 Sonic RecordNow CDs and asked what was
    > it I was supposed to get instead of the 2nd Sonic disc that I did get.
    >
    > We shall see.

    I got the CD for AOHell, Cyberlink PowerDVD, Sonic MyDVD and Word Perfect.
    This is a lot less than I have gotten in the past from Dell.
  31. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 18:40:15 GMT, "Laura" <invalid@sample.invalid>
    wrote:

    ><tedB@bommer.net> wrote in message
    >> On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 10:39:24 -0400, Ogden Johnson III
    >> <oj3usmc@yahoo.com> wrote:
    >>
    >> snipped all
    >>
    >> I have e-mailed Dell support via their support Web page interface.
    >>
    >> I'll let you all know what happens when I get my answer.
    >>
    >> I explained the problem, and I included the URL to their Web page
    >> stating how to go about making the backup OS CD.
    >>
    >> Plus I told them I had received 2 Sonic RecordNow CDs and asked what was
    >> it I was supposed to get instead of the 2nd Sonic disc that I did get.
    >>
    >> We shall see.
    >
    >I got the CD for AOHell, Cyberlink PowerDVD, Sonic MyDVD and Word Perfect.
    >This is a lot less than I have gotten in the past from Dell.

    This whole mess is going to come back and them in their financial butt.
  32. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    "Bob Johnson" <goldsheet@nospamyahoo.com> wrote in message

    >>Here is the page where the instructions are. Try for yourself.
    >>http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/kb/en/document?dn=1091713&c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19
    >
    > Thank you for posting the URL. My 8400 does not even
    > have a "Dell OS Recovery CD" option available on the
    > START menu (as you originally described above),
    > so I am unable to try the suggested procedure.

    The start menu entry on my machine is pointing to: C:\DELL\MEDIAEXE\ODM.EXE.

    Are you also missing the Dell Accessaries folder in the start menu? Have you
    been uninstalling the extra Dell bloatware?
  33. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    Correct. It is not an install CD but merely a Recover CD that accesses the
    real OS install info on the hidden partition. This is why I want an install
    CD. Under those circumstances a recovery CD is useless. And dealing with
    Dell when you suspect your hard drive is failing is another story for
    another day. But that being said it is because of my experience last summer
    that is prompting me to make sure that I have an XP OS disk in addition to a
    Recovery CD. They are NOT the same thing.

    "Cathy De Viney" <NOSPAM.ccdeviney@cox.net> wrote in message
    > You mean, if, in the future the HD dies, or I want a larger HD, I can't
    > reinstall the OS from the CD that is created?
    >

    > "Laura" <invalid@sample.invalid> wrote in message
    >> The directions or rather the url are contained on a paper CD looking
    >> disk. BTW, that "copy" is only good if you have to reinstall the OS on
    >> THAT hard drive. If you upgrade or change your hard drive that Recovery
    >> CD is no good. As the name implies, it is a Recovery Cd and not a copy of
    >> XP SP2 for a clean new hard drive install as you seem to believe.
    >>
    >> "BigJIm" <Jim10277@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >>> thanks for the info, I did exactly what the instructions said and I now
    >>> have a
    >>> copy of xp sp2. I wonder why support didn't tell me to use this option.
    >>> BTW it took about 15 minutes on a PM 1.6 laptop.
    >>> "Tiffany" <someone@somewhere.com> wrote in message

  34. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    Did you actually make a CD and look at the files, or are you just assuming
    that this is the case? The link I provided explicitly states that is is a "
    Microsoft® Windows® Operating system CD".

    > Correct. It is not an install CD but merely a Recover CD that accesses the
    > real OS install info on the hidden partition. This is why I want an
    > install CD. Under those circumstances a recovery CD is useless. And
    > dealing with Dell when you suspect your hard drive is failing is another
    > story for another day. But that being said it is because of my experience
    > last summer that is prompting me to make sure that I have an XP OS disk in
    > addition to a Recovery CD. They are NOT the same thing.
  35. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    That is not what I have been told. I have been told that it can only be used
    to REINSTALL the OS and can not be used to INSTALL XP on a blank Hard drive.
    It is a RECOVERY CD and not an XP OS CD.

    > It makes a full install CD. What needs do you have that this doesn't
    > cover?
    >

    > "Laura" <invalid@sample.invalid> wrote in message
    >> They did mention it. And I knew about the creation of the CD before I
    >> even called them. But for my needs the recovery CD is not enough.
    >>
    >> "Tiffany" <someone@somewhere.com> wrote in message
    >>>I just noticed that Dell actually has a utility that allows you to burn
    >>>your own:
    >>>
    >>> http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/kb/en/document?dn=1091713&c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19
    >>>
    >>> This begs the question about why none of the support people mentioned
    >>> this though.

  36. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    <tedB@bommer.net> wrote
    > It is becoming more and more obvious how MS/DELL have screwed all of us.

    you folks need to cool your jets. i bought a dimension 3000 for my gfriend
    about a month ago. i wasn't happy when i saw there was no OS cd to be
    found. however, i contacted dell support via their chat interface and i
    received the OS cd shipment in three days. your mileage may vary, but
    that's my story.
  37. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    I did look at the CD. It appears to be an XP install disk but I won't be
    able to tell for sure until my actual CD arrives next week to do a full
    compare. I do know that several computer techs have told me that it will not
    work on a new hard drive because there is no XP on the hidden partition. It
    will only work to reinstall XP on the existing hard drive because the
    install process accesses the hidden partition. Plus when I commented to the
    Dell Tech support that my main objective was to be able to install XP on a
    replacement Hard drive in the future they did not try and tell me that the
    Recovery CD created by the utility would work. So for now I still believe
    that we are better off having the real XP OS CD. YMMV

    > Did you actually make a CD and look at the files, or are you just assuming
    > that this is the case? The link I provided explicitly states that is is a
    > " Microsoft® Windows® Operating system CD".
    >
    > "Laura" <invalid@sample.invalid> wrote in message
    >> Correct. It is not an install CD but merely a Recover CD that accesses
    >> the real OS install info on the hidden partition. This is why I want an
    >> install CD. Under those circumstances a recovery CD is useless. And
    >> dealing with Dell when you suspect your hard drive is failing is another
    >> story for another day. But that being said it is because of my experience
    >> last summer that is prompting me to make sure that I have an XP OS disk
    >> in addition to a Recovery CD. They are NOT the same thing.

  38. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    What is the point of this disc, if it can't be installed on a replacement
    HD? If all you want to do is reinstall the OS to the HD that came with you
    computer, all you have to do is something like CTRL-F11 as you boot...to
    access the hidden partition on the current HD....you don't need a CD.

    Isn't this correct?

    >I did look at the CD. It appears to be an XP install disk but I won't be
    >able to tell for sure until my actual CD arrives next week to do a full
    >compare. I do know that several computer techs have told me that it will
    >not work on a new hard drive because there is no XP on the hidden
    >partition. It will only work to reinstall XP on the existing hard drive
    >because the install process accesses the hidden partition. Plus when I
    >commented to the Dell Tech support that my main objective was to be able to
    >install XP on a replacement Hard drive in the future they did not try and
    >tell me that the Recovery CD created by the utility would work. So for now
    >I still believe that we are better off having the real XP OS CD. YMMV
    >
    > "Tiffany" <someone@somewhere.com> wrote in message
    >> Did you actually make a CD and look at the files, or are you just
    >> assuming that this is the case? The link I provided explicitly states
    >> that is is a " Microsoft® Windows® Operating system CD".
    >>
    >> "Laura" <invalid@sample.invalid> wrote in message
    >>> Correct. It is not an install CD but merely a Recover CD that accesses
    >>> the real OS install info on the hidden partition. This is why I want an
    >>> install CD. Under those circumstances a recovery CD is useless. And
    >>> dealing with Dell when you suspect your hard drive is failing is another
    >>> story for another day. But that being said it is because of my
    >>> experience last summer that is prompting me to make sure that I have an
    >>> XP OS disk in addition to a Recovery CD. They are NOT the same thing.

  39. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    "Cathy De Viney" <NOSPAM.ccdeviney@cox.net> wrote in message news:l0Bae.26809$gs4.11787@okepread05...
    > What is the point of this disc, if it can't be installed on a replacement
    > HD? If all you want to do is reinstall the OS to the HD that came with you
    > computer, all you have to do is something like CTRL-F11 as you boot...to
    > access the hidden partition on the current HD....you don't need a CD.

    Well that reinstalls everything I believe, but the point still stands. If
    the OS CD you create can only reinstall on an original HD that has
    the restore partition, it would seem to be redundant.

    IIRC, one thing you can do with a real OS CD is boot it and perform
    repairs via the recovery console. Conceptually at least, I suppose the
    CD you create could have the unique purpose of allowing you to do
    that. But that seems like a stretch to me.

    Not having the means to restore the OS (and apps) from optical media
    to a new non-Dell HD is a rather serious issue if you ask me. I could
    see Dell providing a means to create said CDs rather than providing
    CDs, but I find it somewhat hard to believe that reinstall from created
    CDs would be contingent upon having a Dell HD & restore partition.
    If your HD failed you'd either have to acquire a new one from Dell,
    or acquire a new one from elsewhere *and* an OS. Knowledgeable
    users would be furious.
  40. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    That's my exact point. The Recovery Disk that dell has you create is only
    good for the current hard drive. I have dealt with failed Dell hard drives
    before and know that you need a *real* OS disk.

    I have always used a recovery disk to reinstall the OS on an existing HD.
    Dell does instruct you to use the Recovery disk for this purpose. I have
    never seen them have you hit CTRL F11 while booting so I don't know if that
    would work on these machines.

    "Cathy De Viney" <NOSPAM.ccdeviney@cox.net> wrote in message
    > What is the point of this disc, if it can't be installed on a replacement
    > HD? If all you want to do is reinstall the OS to the HD that came with
    > you computer, all you have to do is something like CTRL-F11 as you
    > boot...to access the hidden partition on the current HD....you don't need
    > a CD.
    >
    > Isn't this correct?
    >
    > "Laura" <invalid@sample.invalid> wrote in message
    >>I did look at the CD. It appears to be an XP install disk but I won't be
    >>able to tell for sure until my actual CD arrives next week to do a full
    >>compare. I do know that several computer techs have told me that it will
    >>not work on a new hard drive because there is no XP on the hidden
    >>partition. It will only work to reinstall XP on the existing hard drive
    >>because the install process accesses the hidden partition. Plus when I
    >>commented to the Dell Tech support that my main objective was to be able
    >>to install XP on a replacement Hard drive in the future they did not try
    >>and tell me that the Recovery CD created by the utility would work. So for
    >>now I still believe that we are better off having the real XP OS CD. YMMV
    >>
    >> "Tiffany" <someone@somewhere.com> wrote in message
    >>> Did you actually make a CD and look at the files, or are you just
    >>> assuming that this is the case? The link I provided explicitly states
    >>> that is is a " Microsoft® Windows® Operating system CD".
    >>>
    >>> "Laura" <invalid@sample.invalid> wrote in message

  41. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/kb/en/document?dn=1090151

    http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/kb/en/document?dn=1091713&c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19#step1

    > That's my exact point. The Recovery Disk that dell has you create is only
    > good for the current hard drive. I have dealt with failed Dell hard drives
    > before and know that you need a *real* OS disk.
    >
    > I have always used a recovery disk to reinstall the OS on an existing HD.
    > Dell does instruct you to use the Recovery disk for this purpose. I have
    > never seen them have you hit CTRL F11 while booting so I don't know if
    > that would work on these machines.
    >
    > "Cathy De Viney" <NOSPAM.ccdeviney@cox.net> wrote in message
    >> What is the point of this disc, if it can't be installed on a replacement
    >> HD? If all you want to do is reinstall the OS to the HD that came with
    >> you computer, all you have to do is something like CTRL-F11 as you
    >> boot...to access the hidden partition on the current HD....you don't need
    >> a CD.
    >>
    >> Isn't this correct?
    >>
    >> "Laura" <invalid@sample.invalid> wrote in message
    >>>I did look at the CD. It appears to be an XP install disk but I won't be
    >>>able to tell for sure until my actual CD arrives next week to do a full
    >>>compare. I do know that several computer techs have told me that it will
    >>>not work on a new hard drive because there is no XP on the hidden
    >>>partition. It will only work to reinstall XP on the existing hard drive
    >>>because the install process accesses the hidden partition. Plus when I
    >>>commented to the Dell Tech support that my main objective was to be able
    >>>to install XP on a replacement Hard drive in the future they did not try
    >>>and tell me that the Recovery CD created by the utility would work. So
    >>>for now I still believe that we are better off having the real XP OS CD.
    >>>YMMV
    >>>
    >>> "Tiffany" <someone@somewhere.com> wrote in message

  42. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    On Sun, 24 Apr 2005 00:05:10 GMT, "Laura" <invalid@sample.invalid>
    wrote:

    >That's my exact point. The Recovery Disk that dell has you create is only
    >good for the current hard drive. I have dealt with failed Dell hard drives
    >before and know that you need a *real* OS disk.

    I found all the SATA and other driver placed by Dell in

    C:\Drivers

    It contains 6 folders:
    Audio
    Modem
    Network
    Storage
    System
    Video

    That helps. Now to copy to a CD.
  43. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    it boots like a copy of xp
    "Laura" <invalid@sample.invalid> wrote in message
    > The directions or rather the url are contained on a paper CD looking disk.
    > BTW, that "copy" is only good if you have to reinstall the OS on THAT hard
    > drive. If you upgrade or change your hard drive that Recovery CD is no
    > good. As the name implies, it is a Recovery Cd and not a copy of XP SP2
    > for a clean new hard drive install as you seem to believe.
    >
    > "BigJIm" <Jim10277@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> thanks for the info, I did exactly what the instructions said and I now
    >> have a
    >> copy of xp sp2. I wonder why support didn't tell me to use this option.
    >> BTW it took about 15 minutes on a PM 1.6 laptop.
    >> "Tiffany" <someone@somewhere.com> wrote in message
    >>>I just noticed that Dell actually has a utility that allows you to burn
    >>>your own:
    >>>
    >>> http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/kb/en/document?dn=1091713&c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19
    >>>
    >>> This begs the question about why none of the support people mentioned
    >>> this though.

  44. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    well it boots from cd but I have no use to install at this time/
    need someone with a dell sitting around with a clean hard drive to try it
    because if it is a real OS then you can install it on any dell system/

    > That is not what I have been told. I have been told that it can only be
    > used to REINSTALL the OS and can not be used to INSTALL XP on a blank Hard
    > drive. It is a RECOVERY CD and not an XP OS CD.
    >
    > "Tiffany" <someone@somewhere.com> wrote in message
    >> It makes a full install CD. What needs do you have that this doesn't
    >> cover?
    >>

    >> "Laura" <invalid@sample.invalid> wrote in message
    >>> They did mention it. And I knew about the creation of the CD before I
    >>> even called them. But for my needs the recovery CD is not enough.
    >>>
    >>> "Tiffany" <someone@somewhere.com> wrote in message

  45. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    And where do either page say that the CDs created can be used on a new hard
    drive where the OS is not on a hidden partition?

    > http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/kb/en/document?dn=1090151
    >
    > http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/kb/en/document?dn=1091713&c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19#step1
    >
    > "Laura" <invalid@sample.invalid> wrote in message
    >> That's my exact point. The Recovery Disk that dell has you create is only
    >> good for the current hard drive. I have dealt with failed Dell hard
    >> drives before and know that you need a *real* OS disk.
    >>
    >> I have always used a recovery disk to reinstall the OS on an existing HD.
    >> Dell does instruct you to use the Recovery disk for this purpose. I have
    >> never seen them have you hit CTRL F11 while booting so I don't know if
    >> that would work on these machines.
    >>
    >> "Cathy De Viney" <NOSPAM.ccdeviney@cox.net> wrote in message
    >>> What is the point of this disc, if it can't be installed on a
    >>> replacement HD? If all you want to do is reinstall the OS to the HD
    >>> that came with you computer, all you have to do is something like
    >>> CTRL-F11 as you boot...to access the hidden partition on the current
    >>> HD....you don't need a CD.
    >>>
    >>> Isn't this correct?
    >>>
    >>> "Laura" <invalid@sample.invalid> wrote in message

  46. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    tedB@bommer.net wrote:

    > On Fri, 22 Apr 2005 23:05:37 -0600, Notan <notan@ddress.com> wrote:
    >

    >>tedB@bommer.net wrote:

    >>>What "Recovery CD?"
    >>>
    >>>I received no such CD with the computer.
    >>>
    >>>Do I have to make one? If so, how?
    >>>
    >>>(This is unbelievable that a company such as Dell would make such a
    >>>problem for its customers. Do they think that everyone is tech? I
    >>>will NEVER buy from them again.)
    >>
    >>When I go to Start | Programs | Dell Accessories | Dell ResourceCD,
    >>the same thing happens... Nothing.
    >
    > I have no such menu item as Dell ResourceCD.
    >
    > I have only Dell OS Recovery CD.
    >
    >>The system is asking me to put the ResourceCD into the drive.
    >>
    >>Did you receive *any* CDs with your system?
    >>
    >>Notan
    >
    > I got a disc for the CRT monitor, one for reinstalling the modem, one
    > for reinstalling WordPerfect, and 2 for reinstalling Sonic RecordNow.
    >
    > Now, let me guess, the bastards sent me a second Sonic disc instead of
    > the ResourceCd you are mentioning? However, even if that is so, I
    > still am not getting *any* response at all when I click on Dell OS
    > Recovery CD. As I said, I do not have any menu item such as you
    > described which asks for "ResourceCD." There is no mention of such an
    > item in my menu.
    >
    > I'd send Dell a blistering email, except it would probably end up in a
    > wastebasket

    Mixed metaphor here, dude, an *email* in a *wastebasket*? Bit bucket,
    maybe, not not a wastebasket.

    Besides, that's irrelevant, they probably routinely toss any
    communication from people who appear illiterate or deranged.
  47. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    Bob Johnson wrote:

    >>Here is the page where the instructions are. Try for yourself.
    >>http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/kb/en/document?dn=1091713&c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19
    >

    > Thank you for posting the URL. My 8400 does not even
    > have a "Dell OS Recovery CD" option available on the
    > START menu (as you originally described above),
    > so I am unable to try the suggested procedure.

    IIRC you need to have the Resource CD first and when you put it in your
    CD drive you get the option to install the Dell Resource CD. That's how
    it worked with my Dim 8400 anyway.
  48. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    Well, it calls it:

    one Microsoft® Windows® Operating system CD

    That sounds like a real OS CD to me.

    We need someone to try it!

    Tom
    > And where do either page say that the CDs created can be used on a new
    > hard drive where the OS is not on a hidden partition?
    >
    > "Cathy De Viney" <NOSPAM.ccdeviney@cox.net> wrote in message
    >> http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/kb/en/document?dn=1090151
    >>
    >> http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/kb/en/document?dn=1091713&c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19#step1
    >>
    >> "Laura" <invalid@sample.invalid> wrote in message
    >>> That's my exact point. The Recovery Disk that dell has you create is
    >>> only good for the current hard drive. I have dealt with failed Dell hard
    >>> drives before and know that you need a *real* OS disk.
    >>>
    >>> I have always used a recovery disk to reinstall the OS on an existing
    >>> HD. Dell does instruct you to use the Recovery disk for this purpose. I
    >>> have never seen them have you hit CTRL F11 while booting so I don't know
    >>> if that would work on these machines.
    >>>
    >>> "Cathy De Viney" <NOSPAM.ccdeviney@cox.net> wrote in message

  49. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    Good. Some day we won't have to listen to your childish rants and raves!

    >> I WILL NEVER BUY ANOTHER PRODUCT OF ANY KIND FROM DELL.

Dell CD-Rom Computers