Installing windows xp pro

lordjt

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2003
Hello, I want install windows XP Pro, I was told I may have to upgrade my motherboard before I can install it.
Motherboard: Gigabyte BX2000
CPU: Pentium III
Memory: 196MB Ram
Running Win98SE

My questions are. Can I install WinXP on this computer?
Do I install winXP from within win98? Or do I have to re-format my HDD and then install winXP?
Do I have to upgrade my motherboard to run WinXP?

Help!
James

jmecor

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2003
Have you even tried to install it in your pc?

<font color=red>If your nose <b>RUNS</b>, and feet <b>SMELL</b>.
Then you must be born <b>UPSIDE DOWN</b>.</font color=red>

jmecor

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2003
Do I install winXP from within win98? Or do I have to re-format my HDD and then install winXP?

Yes, you can install XP from 98SE. But it would be better if you would do a clean install of windows XP.

<font color=red>If your nose <b>RUNS</b>, and feet <b>SMELL</b>.
Then you must be born <b>UPSIDE DOWN</b>.</font color=red>

G

If your motherboard can boot from cd, you don't need a boot disk. Everything is on the XP cd to format your hard drive. If your motherboard won't boot from cd:

<A HREF="http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310994" target="_new">Obtaining Windows XP Setup Boot Disks</A>

However, (and I might be wrong here, someone throw me a bone) I think that XP recomends at least 256mb of RAM. You might want to upgrade your RAM, at the very least

waggers

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
i have seen several systems like yours running xp pro,maybe a little slow for me but the people using them are happy
and as already said a fresh install is the way to go if in your bios you can alter the 1st boot up device to cd,which i think you can
regards waggers

lordjt

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2003
wagger, Thanks for your help I will do a fresh install and yes I can alter the 1st boot up device to cd.

lordjt

Jake_Barnes

Splendid
Yes - do the clean install from the XP Pro CD, reformat - and please add more memory - XP doesn't really streach it's legs untill 1/2 gig or so.

<b><font color=blue>"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety" - Bejamin Franklin</font color=blue><b>

lordjt

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2003
Thanks Jake, I will be adding more memory to my computer for winXP. Will the WinXP have the utilities needed to partition add format the HDD?