Mitnick May Sue AT&T Over Account Breach

Status
Not open for further replies.

masop

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2006
Wow, I haven't heard much of a peep in the media regarding mitnick lately. It won't be an easy case to prosecute IMHO. It really depends on various factors. In the end, if it wasn't for his past getting in the way, he could fend off the attacks himself. If I was him, I'd consider suing as well, but only if I knew without a doubt that I'd win. It isn't like he doesn't have the money for a lawsuit, heh.

agentjon

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2009
Good for him.
AT&T and the like charge their early termination fee if you leave before your contract is up, even if their service sucks. Its time the consumer fights back.

Irrenhaus

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2009
The funny part is that this was one of the companies that he hack into back in the days of Pacific Bell. Now he is been hack out it.

Irrenhaus

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2009
[citation][nom]Irrenhaus[/nom]The funny part is that this was one of the companies that he hack into(well alleged) back in the days of Pacific Bell. Now he is been hack out it.[/citation]

G

While I don't feel very sorry for Mitnick repeatedly being attacked and compromised (it's his own fault he's become such a high profile target after all), this is no excuse the AT&T to shirk their duties in protecting his customer data. If his data is repeatedly being compromised, AT&T is clearly has security issues they should be addressing.

For those who would side with AT&T, let me put it this way. If Mitnick's customer information can be compromised, any customers information could be. If this was happening to you, would you still side with AT&T?

Niva

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2006
Absolutely he has the right to sue, he's being singled out. Curious how this will fall out in the long term but I think he should press forward with it based on the situation.

G

I'd say that AT&T should hold their end of the contract up and they should make a serious attempt to keep their networks and their servers secure.

Just look at all the security breaches and credit card thefts that have been in the news in the last year or two and you'll see the seriousness of this issue as it's no laughing matter.

If a company could keep a high profile hacker's account secure, then I'd be willing to do business with them should I need their services.

Too many companies are failing to take security seriously these days and they would rather put profits ahead of their clients own security.

AT&T is making more than enough ripping off their customers their high prices. They can certainly afford to better secure their networks instead of their pocketbooks.

Same thing goes for Verizon and other services.

virtualban

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2007
With all their money AT&T should find better marketing people as this is really really really bad publicity for anyone in the field who can decide about hosting anything there.

Montezuma

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2008
AT&T is an absolute shit company. They treat their employees like shit and they treat their customer just as bad. If I were Kevin, I would find a better provider and sue the shit out of them.

h0llow

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2009
CHA he has a right to sue. Who cares who he is. It's the fact that AT&T cannot secure vital customer information. You would kind of think security comes first from such a company.

G

AT&T should

- 1) Hire Kevin Mitnick as their Spokes Person
- 2) Make Kevin Mitnick a Security Consultant
- 3) Make Securing the network and the servers a priority
- 4) Keep Security a Priority
- 5) FIRE the Current AT&T CEO

Aragorn

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2005
Seems to me there should be a class actiont suit. If they can't secure his data then all their other customers data is at risk. They should be required by law to protect the data and they should be held accountable for any leaks, no matter who's data.

G

Just because they have the contract, does not mean case closed.

Breach of Contract on the part of the Contractor VOIDS the original contract and Invites a Law suit on the part of the Contractee.

In this case, failure to keep the client's account secure and negligence towards the security of all their other clients would more than justify a class action suit.

hakesterman

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2008
Sorry Folks, any phone service provider has the right to terminate you at their discresion, it's in
the contract you sign. I have had four different phone providers and everyone of them including AT&T states right in the ontract that they may terminate your contract at anytime without notice. And i can assure you that if security is at stake they have the right to cansel. Sorry that's just the way it is.

Hanin33

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2009
maybe this is the case we need to challenge these absurd contracts and EULAs that the corporate lawyers keep force feeding us...

neosoul

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2006
If this was a business account, sue away, if it's a residential account, then tough sh*t.

Seriously, why do people feel so entitled now-a-days? This isn't water, food or shelter. It's a service, with other services available if you 'don't like it'.

This is regardless of who has the legal right here. The company that provided the service, assessed the cost of re-doing their infrastructure to suit a special case.

If there were actual damages occurred other than interruption of service, then I'd understand. But to sue because of the termination of a contract is just too crazy for me.

blackened144

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
There are people who are unable to sue companies because it cant be proven that they were effected when the company got hacked and hundreds and thousands of accounts are effected. I think in this case, since Kevin can prove that his account information was hacked and ATT was derelict in securing his account, that he would have a case against them. Although, I think they would still be within their rights to drop him as a customer, they were still responsible to secure his information when he was.

G

But don't forget, many states also have specific laws which tend to Void parts of the Contractual Language.

So even though the contract may state that they can terminate at any time for any reason, it is recommended that you dig through your state laws to see just what they can and can not do or to check with someone who would be familiar with such laws.

Cause there are laws out there that are meant to protect the consumer, especially those who might need a telephone for emergencies or otherwise.

Same thing goes for Federal laws. They are counting on you not reading the contract thoroughly and not knowing your legal rights.

G

If any one deserves to be sued, ATn'T for sure is!

Their wireless system (cell) is nothing but a scam!

Go, Mitnic, go sue the bastards, and I am goin to sue them also!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS