Error Message - Selected boot device not available

July 5, 2005 9:06:01 PM

I have a Dell Dimension 4700 with Windows XP Professional OS. My hard drive
crashed and I had to install another one. I had made a disaster recovery CD
before this happened thinking it would be perfect for situations like this.
I used the Dantz Retrospect backup program for this disaster recovery CD.
Unfortunately I can't use it because when I put it in the CD-ROM and try to
boot from it I get the "Selected boot device not available" message. I went
into the "boot" screen and changed the boot order so it would boot from the
CD but it still won't work. I even changed the boot order in the "setup
bios" screen to boot from the CD but still nothing.

I called Dell and they told me that you can only boot the PC with the
Windows XP CD - if this is true what good are the disaster recovery programs
if you can't get the machine to book from them like it is suppose to?

Is there something I am doing wrong or is Dell right? I wanted to use my
recovery CD so I wouldn't have to go thru the entire process of reloading all
my software programs from scratch. Can someone help me - How do you use
these recovery CDs you make if the machine won't boot from them?
Anonymous
July 6, 2005 1:27:02 AM

Sounds to me either the CD you made wasn't made a bootable CD or you need to
a bootable floppy in order to use the recovery CD. Do you test the CD after
creating it to make sure in fact it was bootable? And no, Dell is
incorrect, any bootable CD can be used to boot the PC.

--

Star Fleet Admiral Q @ your Service!

http://www.google.com
Google is your "Friend"