Sign in with
Your question

Is it worth upgrading the laptop?

Tags:
Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
November 30, 2012 7:57:49 PM

http://shop.lenovo.com/us/notebooks/ideapad/y-series/y5...

Looking at the first two, first for 800 dollars and second for 950.

Trying to decide if I should save another 150 to upgrade to the second model.

More about : worth upgrading laptop

November 30, 2012 8:10:56 PM

A lot would depend on what you use the laptop for. However, if you buy the cheaper one, you may regret it later, but if you spend more now, you will probably be happy you did.
m
l
a b D Laptop
November 30, 2012 8:21:21 PM

One of the biggest differences is the display; while that is technically upgradeable it would be expensive and a PITA. If you want the better screen it'd be a lot easier to pay upfront. The other differences I see listed are the inclusion of a small SSD (probably used as a cache based on the size) and a blu-ray drive. As far as the CPU, RAM and GPU specs they appear identical.
m
l
Related resources
November 30, 2012 8:56:15 PM

SchizTech said:
One of the biggest differences is the display; while that is technically upgradeable it would be expensive and a PITA. If you want the better screen it'd be a lot easier to pay upfront. The other differences I see listed are the inclusion of a small SSD (probably used as a cache based on the size) and a blu-ray drive. As far as the CPU, RAM and GPU specs they appear identical.

Would you spend 150 more for that? :p 

m
l
a b D Laptop
November 30, 2012 9:19:32 PM

I guess it depends on how important that amount of money is to you; it's a nice upgrade though.
m
l
a b D Laptop
November 30, 2012 9:31:19 PM

Well I guess since it's a judgment call I can't really say, sorry. I was going over it in my head but I can't decide.
m
l
November 30, 2012 10:02:38 PM

SchizTech said:
Well I guess since it's a judgment call I can't really say, sorry. I was going over it in my head but I can't decide.

Haha well if you decided yes you would.. then would you spend another 100 dollars for 16GB of memory isntead of 8?

Not sure if that even helps with anything.. also for the extra 100 it says 3rd Generation Intel Core i7-3632QM Processor( 2.20GHz 1600MHz ) instead of 3rd Generation Intel Core i7-3630QM Processor( 2.40GHz 6MB).

m
l
!