Enabling Hyperthreading

I recently built a new computer, installed WinXP w/SP2 integrated. Got
the computer up and running and it would lock up randomly. After
troublshooting the problem, I found that my P4E 3.4Ghz processor was only
running at 2.8Ghz...because of a motherboard issue, and only using a
multiplier of 14 with the processor...instead of the correct 17 multiplier. I
Upgraded my motherboard (GA-8KNXP) bios, now it correctly runs at
3.4Ghz...BUT I checked to see if Hyperthreading was working correctly, and it
isn't. I enable it in my bios, but nothing.

I reinstalled WinXP, but I chose the "Upgrade" option...not a complete
wipe and reinstall because if I don't have to, I don't want to reinstall and
update all the other apps I installed. My question is...if I do a wipe and
full reinstall of Win XP will this fix the HT problem. Another question
is...is there any other way to fix this problem if a complete wipe will fix
it? ANY and ALL help is GREATLY appreciated. Thanks
3 answers Last reply
More about enabling hyperthreading

    Joe how did you check that hyper-threading was enabled?

    System Bios?
    Intel Hyperthreading Utility?
    Task Manager?

    Leave the hidden devices well alone-you will make things worse!

    Chelsea

    "Chelsea" wrote:

    > Joe how did you check that hyper-threading was enabled?
    >
    > System Bios?
    > Intel Hyperthreading Utility?
    > Task Manager?
    >
    > Leave the hidden devices well alone-you will make things worse!
    >

    > Chelsea

    I checked my bios, Hyperthreading is enabled. I downloaded and used the HT
    Utility from Intel, it says CPU passed, Chipset passed, bios Exclamation
    point.....The task manager only shows one processor in the performance tab.
    I just flashed my bios to the highest version, F13(beta) it WAS at F12... My
    motherboard is a Giga-Byte GA-8KNXP Rev 1.x (I think it's 1.5, can't
    remember)

    you have the uniprocessor HAL loaded; you need to make sure the bios is
    setup correctly, then do a repair install to get the HAL changed to the
    multiprocessor version. You may need to FORCE the HAL selection by
    pressing F5 when it prompts you to press F6. I suggest you do a little
    google research on this issue before proceeding. start here:

    http://www.theeldergeek.com/clean_installation_of_windows_xp.htm

    halfway down he talks about using the F5 method.

Windows XP