Enabling Hyperthreading

July 5, 2005 10:43:01 PM

I recently built a new computer, installed WinXP w/SP2 integrated. Got
the computer up and running and it would lock up randomly. After
troublshooting the problem, I found that my P4E 3.4Ghz processor was only
running at 2.8Ghz...because of a motherboard issue, and only using a
multiplier of 14 with the processor...instead of the correct 17 multiplier. I
Upgraded my motherboard (GA-8KNXP) bios, now it correctly runs at
3.4Ghz...BUT I checked to see if Hyperthreading was working correctly, and it
isn't. I enable it in my bios, but nothing.

I reinstalled WinXP, but I chose the "Upgrade" option...not a complete
wipe and reinstall because if I don't have to, I don't want to reinstall and
update all the other apps I installed. My question is...if I do a wipe and
full reinstall of Win XP will this fix the HT problem. Another question
is...is there any other way to fix this problem if a complete wipe will fix
it? ANY and ALL help is GREATLY appreciated. Thanks
July 7, 2005 12:25:23 PM

Joe how did you check that hyper-threading was enabled?

System Bios?
Intel Hyperthreading Utility?
Task Manager?

Leave the hidden devices well alone-you will make things worse!

Chelsea
Anonymous
July 7, 2005 12:25:24 PM

"Chelsea" wrote:

> Joe how did you check that hyper-threading was enabled?
>
> System Bios?
> Intel Hyperthreading Utility?
> Task Manager?
>
> Leave the hidden devices well alone-you will make things worse!
>

> Chelsea

I checked my bios, Hyperthreading is enabled. I downloaded and used the HT
Utility from Intel, it says CPU passed, Chipset passed, bios Exclamation
point.....The task manager only shows one processor in the performance tab.
I just flashed my bios to the highest version, F13(beta) it WAS at F12... My
motherboard is a Giga-Byte GA-8KNXP Rev 1.x (I think it's 1.5, can't
remember)
July 7, 2005 9:54:49 PM

you have the uniprocessor HAL loaded; you need to make sure the bios is
setup correctly, then do a repair install to get the HAL changed to the
multiprocessor version. You may need to FORCE the HAL selection by
pressing F5 when it prompts you to press F6. I suggest you do a little
google research on this issue before proceeding. start here:

http://www.theeldergeek.com/clean_installation_of_windo...

halfway down he talks about using the F5 method.
!