The "Show Desktop" Icon

I have recently bought a new home PC and I notice that the "show desktop"
icon is not on the task bar like I am used to seeing on my laptop at work. I
think it comes in very handy - what do I need to do to get it there?

--
Sherry
11 answers Last reply

    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=190355

    On Tue, 5 Jul 2005 21:08:02 -0700, Sherry wrote:

    > I have recently bought a new home PC and I notice that the "show desktop"
    > icon is not on the task bar like I am used to seeing on my laptop at work. I
    > think it comes in very handy - what do I need to do to get it there?

    Display the Quick Launch toolbar: Right click the taskbar and select
    Toolbars> Quick Launch.

    After the Quick Launch toolbar appears and if there is no show desktop
    shortcut visible, right click the taskbar again and click to remove the
    check next to "Lock the taskbar." When you do this, divider lines become
    visible.

    Place the mouse cursor over the boundary line for Quick Launch. When the
    double arrow cursor appears <--> click and hold on the boundary line. Then
    drag it to enlarge the area for the Quick Launch toolbar and to expose
    icons that may be hidden from view.

    Release the mouse button when done resizing and, if you desire to do so,
    lock the taskbar again.

    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

    You don't really need the icon. Pressing the windows key + d does the same
    thing.

    "Sherry" <Sherry@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I have recently bought a new home PC and I notice that the "show desktop"
    > icon is not on the task bar like I am used to seeing on my laptop at work.
    > think it comes in very handy - what do I need to do to get it there?
    >
    > --
    > Sherry

    What a stupid thing to say.

    "Jason Haynes" <jasonlhaynes@COLDmail.com> wrote in message news:%23$Ii$IjgFHA.3788@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
    > You don't really need the icon. Pressing the windows key + d does the same
    > thing.
    >
    > "Sherry" <Sherry@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >>I have recently bought a new home PC and I notice that the "show desktop"
    >> icon is not on the task bar like I am used to seeing on my laptop at work.
    >> think it comes in very handy - what do I need to do to get it there?
    >>
    >> --
    >> Sherry

    Well thought out argument David. Did you come up with it by yourself or did
    a four year old help you? Would you care to explain what's stupid about it?

    "David Candy" <.> wrote in message
    What a stupid thing to say.

    It has nothing to do with the question. The question was ' ... "show desktop" icon is not on the task bar like I am used to seeing on my laptop at work.' And note your solution doesn't work. I can't reach the keyboard myself.

    >What a stupid thing to say.
    >
    >--
    >--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    >http://webdiary.smh.com.au/archives/_comment/001075.html
    >>"Jason Haynes" <jasonlhaynes@COLDmail.com> wrote in message news:%23$Ii$IjgFHA.3788@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
    >> You don't really need the icon. Pressing the windows key + d does the same
    >> thing.
    >>
    >> "Sherry" <Sherry@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >>>I have recently bought a new home PC and I notice that the "show desktop"
    >>> icon is not on the task bar like I am used to seeing on my laptop at work.
    >>> think it comes in very handy - what do I need to do to get it there?
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>>Sherry

    It does, in fact, work. Like most people, my keyboard is right in front of
    me and I'll be damned if winkey + d doesn't show the desktop every time.
    Besides, many folks have no idea about keyboard shortcuts and are often
    thankful to learn about them. Just because you don't like my suggestion
    doesn't make it wrong.

    It has nothing to do with the question. The question was ' ... "show
    desktop" icon is not on the task bar like I am used to seeing on my laptop
    at work.' And note your solution doesn't work. I can't reach the keyboard
    myself.

    >What a stupid thing to say.
    >
    >--
    >--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    >http://webdiary.smh.com.au/archives/_comment/001075.html
    >>"Jason Haynes" <jasonlhaynes@COLDmail.com> wrote in message
    >> You don't really need the icon. Pressing the windows key + d does the
    >> same
    >> thing.
    >>
    >> "Sherry" <Sherry@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >>>I have recently bought a new home PC and I notice that the "show desktop"
    >>> icon is not on the task bar like I am used to seeing on my laptop at
    >>> work.
    >>> think it comes in very handy - what do I need to do to get it there?
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>>Sherry

    "David Candy" <.> wrote in message
    It does as it has nothing to do with the question. WinKey + D does not
    replace the icon and is irrelevent.

    My original reply was meant to offer an alternative to replacing the icon.
    Some people appreciate a different way to do things. You don't like that
    suggestion? So what? It makes no difference to me, but there was no need
    whatsoever to go on the attack by calling a perfectly legitimate technique
    stupid. Pressing Winkey + d performs exactly the same function as pressing
    the show desktop icon. And just to be thorough, try Winkey + m. That too
    minimizes all windows, but doesn't toggle like the other two.

    It is a stupid thing to say and it is said here frequently.Winkey D and M are different, as youi'd know if you read the file I attached to my last post.

    Winkey + D
    Minimises and hides windows that can't be minimised or Unminimises/unhides all windows
    Winkey + M
    Minimises all windows that can be minimised
    Winkey + Shift + M
    Unminimises all windows

    >Winkey D and M are different, as youi'd know if you >read the file I
    >attached to my last post.

    I KNOW that, as I stated in MY last post.

    >Winkey + D
    >Minimises and hides windows that can't be minimised or >Unminimises/unhides
    >all windows

    What are you left with after minimizing all windows? The friggin' desktop!
    Just let this go. We are obviously not going to see eye to eye on this and I
    have more important things to do than going on and on with you about this
    subject.

    What are you left with after minimizing all windows?

    Windows that don't have a minimise button on the titlebar.
    "Jason Haynes" <jasonlhaynes@COLDmail.com> wrote in message news:%23ByxwkngFHA.1948@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
    > "David Candy" <.> wrote in message
    >>Winkey D and M are different, as youi'd know if you >read the file I
    >>attached to my last post.
    >
    > I KNOW that, as I stated in MY last post.
    >
    >>Winkey + D
    >>Minimises and hides windows that can't be minimised or >Unminimises/unhides
    >>all windows
    >
    > What are you left with after minimizing all windows? The friggin' desktop!
    > Just let this go. We are obviously not going to see eye to eye on this and I
    > have more important things to do than going on and on with you about this
    > subject.

Support Desktops Microsoft Windows XP