Dial-up misbehaviour

I have in the past day or so hit a problem that I can't explain or fix. Once
I have use my dial-up, done what I need to do and then diconnected from my
ISP, the system repeatedly and automatically redials. When the dialog comes
up saying "Dialling (default)", I hit the Cancel button, and it goes away for
about 5 to 10 seconds, and the comes up again. I switch off the modem, and
it tells me I have a hardware failure and will redial in 60 seconds. The
only way to stop it is to reboot the PC - then it is quiet until I need to
dial my ISP, and the wholw procedure starts again. I cannot find anything I
have done that sets up automatic calls to the ISP. Any help or suggestions
out there?
3 answers Last reply
More about dial misbehaviour

    Sounds like a program is trying to access the internet, perhaps an
    anti-virus program or maybe some program is trying to update. (Zone Alarm
    will do that often with Dial-Up)

    "ACP in JHB SA" <ACPinJHBSA@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I have in the past day or so hit a problem that I can't explain or fix.
    >Once
    > I have use my dial-up, done what I need to do and then diconnected from my
    > ISP, the system repeatedly and automatically redials. When the dialog
    > comes
    > up saying "Dialling (default)", I hit the Cancel button, and it goes away
    > for
    > about 5 to 10 seconds, and the comes up again. I switch off the modem,
    > and
    > it tells me I have a hardware failure and will redial in 60 seconds. The
    > only way to stop it is to reboot the PC - then it is quiet until I need to
    > dial my ISP, and the wholw procedure starts again. I cannot find anything
    > have done that sets up automatic calls to the ISP. Any help or
    > suggestions
    > out there?

    Check "Never dial-up a connection" under dial-up properties. I apologize
    for not being more specific, but I have not used dial-up for some time but
    do remember the problem.

    AL(KB3U) & Darlene Romanosky N. Ft.
    Myers, FL

    This seems to have been the problem - a new computer on my small network has
    been trying to log on to Skype. Not allowing any automatic dial-ups on my PC
    highlighted the problem on the other computer. Thanks

    "Al Romanosky" wrote:

    > Check "Never dial-up a connection" under dial-up properties. I apologize
    > for not being more specific, but I have not used dial-up for some time but
    > do remember the problem.

    > AL(KB3U) & Darlene Romanosky N. Ft.
    > Myers, FL

Internet Service Providers Dial Up Connection Windows XP