I'm using a Microsoft mouse with Intellipoint 5.1. The mouse constantly
drops to the lower left of the monitor and disappears. If I'm patient it
usually reappears upper left or right. Until I removed the software for 5.1
it usually caused the computer to freeze up solid - no access to the task
manager or anything. Reboot or even disconnection of power sometimes was
necessary.

I have worked through all the steps in the KB article 321122 with no success
whatsoever. I finally went out and bought a Logitech. However the OS
doesn't even see a PS2 mouse on boot. If I go to the device manager it knows
there's a PS2 mouse but there's something wrong with it according to the
yellow question mark and "this device cannot be installed".

It leaves me thinking Microsoft can do a lot but it doesn't seem able to
provide many of us with a dependable mouse. This is a very small but
extremely vexing problem.

Any suggestions on where to go from here?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/321122/EN-US

Do you use all the features the software provides? If not, try and
uninstall the entire software suite and just use the basic Window's drivers,
that should help.

--
Nocturnal

http://www.spywaretalk.org

"Jany Doe" <JanyDoe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'm using a Microsoft mouse with Intellipoint 5.1. The mouse constantly
> drops to the lower left of the monitor and disappears. If I'm patient it
> usually reappears upper left or right. Until I removed the software for
> 5.1
> it usually caused the computer to freeze up solid - no access to the task
> manager or anything. Reboot or even disconnection of power sometimes was
> necessary.
>
> I have worked through all the steps in the KB article 321122 with no
> success
> whatsoever. I finally went out and bought a Logitech. However the OS
> doesn't even see a PS2 mouse on boot. If I go to the device manager it
> knows
> there's a PS2 mouse but there's something wrong with it according to the
> yellow question mark and "this device cannot be installed".
>
> It leaves me thinking Microsoft can do a lot but it doesn't seem able to
> provide many of us with a dependable mouse. This is a very small but
> extremely vexing problem.
>
> Any suggestions on where to go from here?
>

> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/321122/EN-US

Intellipoint doesnt have a 5.1,it runs on 5.0 or 5.2,the 5.2 seems to have
its
problems,try downloads at microsoft,scroll to intellipoint,download and
install
the 5.0 software.

"Jany Doe" wrote:

> I'm using a Microsoft mouse with Intellipoint 5.1. The mouse constantly
> drops to the lower left of the monitor and disappears. If I'm patient it
> usually reappears upper left or right. Until I removed the software for 5.1
> it usually caused the computer to freeze up solid - no access to the task
> manager or anything. Reboot or even disconnection of power sometimes was
> necessary.
>
> I have worked through all the steps in the KB article 321122 with no success
> whatsoever. I finally went out and bought a Logitech. However the OS
> doesn't even see a PS2 mouse on boot. If I go to the device manager it knows
> there's a PS2 mouse but there's something wrong with it according to the
> yellow question mark and "this device cannot be installed".
>
> It leaves me thinking Microsoft can do a lot but it doesn't seem able to
> provide many of us with a dependable mouse. This is a very small but
> extremely vexing problem.
>
> Any suggestions on where to go from here?
>

> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/321122/EN-US

chelsea

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2005

Hi Jany,
I would be very suspicious of your mouse PS/2 socket on the back of the PC.
They are very fragile and the copper contacts inside do crack and break. Is
your new Logitech mouse a USB mouse and you are using a USB to PS/2 adaptor?
If so plug it into a USB port. If your mouse has a PS/2 connector it is
possible to get a PS/2 to USB adaptor from a computer store.

Chelsea