Picture problems

G

I have a 19" Trinitron monitor and a Nvida GeForce 256 32mb AGP video card using Detonator 3 drivers. I was playing MS Combat Flight Sim last night and the screen suddenly got darker after the start of a new flight. Now I have to have the brightness turned all the way up for the picture to be useful. Every new window that opens darkens the picture more. I have played with gamma settings, reloaded drivers, called Micron tech help, who said to format the HD and reload everything (which won't happen) after doing everything he could think of. The wallpaper looks great on startup until the icons load, then it goes dark. And it gets darker with each additional new window. Micron thinks it's a corrupt OS and says to reload Windows fresh. I think the video card may be gassed. System was new in Feb. Any ideas on this?

HamsterSlayer

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I don't think anythings is wrong with the monitor if it is possible to turn up the brightness as you say. If the screen was in some way out of order, turning up the brightness wouldn't help.

I'd suggest that you try to reinstall your video drivers and maybe try with a different version. You could also try the manufacturers drivers, though Nvidias are usually best. It could also be that something is physically wrong with your card. In that case the only thing to do is to put in a different card, or check your GeForce in another machine.

G

The problem is solved. The Micron Trinitron (apparently different from a Sony Trinitron) is bad. I have a second computer next to this problem computer. I switched monitor cables between them, the other being a CTX 17". The Micron computer now using the CTX monitor is perfect. The Acer computer now using the 19" Micron Trinitron displays the same faults here. Thus the monitor is bad! Micron is sending a new one!!