Bad experience with Lenovo

Status
Not open for further replies.

jss2020

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2012
Lenovo has wasted many hours of my time and caused much frustration and aggravation.

I placed an order for a Lenovo Y580 laptop on Nov. 11th. The estimated shipping date was Nov. 17th. On 15th or 16th they sent me another email that the system would ship on the 17th. On 17th they said it would ship on the 19th.

On 19th a guy at their Indian call-center said the system would ship on December 20th so I cancelled the order on Nov. 19th itself.

First they told me it would take many days for them to remove a hold on my credit card. Then yesterday (Nov. 29th) they charged my credit card, a good 10 days after cancellation. Today they sent an email saying the system was shipped on Nov. 29th.

I am not going to accept delivery of a system just because they want to force it on me even after I cancelled it. I don't care how good its computers are. The company itself sucks big time, IMO.

In general I really haven't read many negative things about lenovo's customer service. However, in your case you really got a raw deal.

If Lenovo sent you a cancellation confirmation in e-mail, then you should be able to dispute the charge on your credit card. It's best to call your credit card company about it and tell them your story as well as provide them with all the e-mails related to your purchase. If everything is well documented, then the credit card company should be able to do the cancellation. American Express has particularly good customer service if that's the credit you used. Of course, you still need to refuse delivery as well.

If you simply refuse delivery w/o speaking with your credit card company, then you will still be charged shipping & handling, unless that was free.

balearic

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2007
went to their website and put it in my cart, said it would take over 4 weeks to ship. haha... I guess i'll settle for the Asus g75 for $1,199 on tigerdirect.com
Probably will last longer because of the cooling system on that one.

jss2020

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2012

All your points are well made. The thing is that a few words can't convey the actual frustration and aggravation one goes through when something like this happens. Sometimes I had to stay in the queue for over an hour just to get someone in their Indian call center who didn't have any useful information anyway. First he tried to convince me that I had reordered the computer a day earlier (when it shipped) and he later admitted there were notes to indicate that I had cancelled the order on the 19th.
I have already spoken to my bank and I am sure I'll not get charged but I'll probably have to call them again and I have to needlessly waste my time waiting on the phone because of Lenovo's unprofessional and unethical actions.
I so much wanted to like Lenovo but this has left a really bad taste. Now I don't think I'll consider their W530 either.

jss2020

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2012

I am not sure but I think the people who deal with their credit card related activities are based in North Carolina. The Indian call center people said only the NC office could help as they had no financial info. The call center people also have very little contact with, and no info about, their facility in China. And I thought this was a well run company. It doesn't seem like it.

jss2020

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2012

Someone I know ordered a Sony laptop from Amazon and it arrived the next morning. Granted, one cannot customize such computers. I'll take a look at the Asus you mentioned.

jss2020

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2012

I ordered through Lenovo's online site. They were very nice and helpful before I ordered. After the shipping got delayed they became much less accessible.

jss2020

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2012

I bought it from Lenovo's web site. I wish I had bought it from Amazon instead but the one on Amazon lacked some feature (don't remember which one it was).

andrewcarr

Distinguished
I bought a new Y570 from lenovo's outlet for $680 and I ordered it then the next day they had one that was the same product number for $600. So I called them bought the $600 one and canceled the first order.

Or at least this is what I was told... I got a conformation email that it had sent and I would get it by the end of the week. After I got it I was happy and it ran well. The next week I got another conformation email that said one shipped (although I canceled it). I just assumed there was a flaw with the system until I was charged and had it at my door. I called them again and they apologized for the misunderstanding and paid to have it shipped back (even picked up at my door) and I got a full refund. The only annoying thing was that they sent it and I had about $680 tied up with a laptop I never opened for about three weeks.

A close friend spent the extra to get the Y580 and loves it. The shipping was about what expected of 2 weeks but he was fine with that because it was a great deal. If you want it faster I guess you should have bought it off of something suck as newegg.

But they do need to fix the cancellation system that is flawed. Best of luck with your new purchase.

jss2020

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2012

Thanks for sharing your experience. I think I would have liked the Y580 but I am quite upset that I have had to waste several frustrating days trying to deal with this issue which is entirely Lenovo's fault. Glad you finally got your problem sorted out.

andrewcarr

Distinguished
Yeah it was annoying, but I guess I couldn't pass up a good deal for a little frustration.

Looks like there are a few things that Lenovo still needs to get sorted out before they can compete with the bigger names (even if it's computers are better in my opinion).

cursedreject

Honorable
Nov 28, 2012
for you people who said youve never heard anything bad about lenovo i didnt either until i actually bought from them

before purchasing my laptop lenovo had a resellerrating.com rating of one star
google had them at 4 stars
the first was more accurate

there is a thread thats about 64 pages long now about their shipping in 2012 and its full of disgruntled customers who have been lied to about shipping dates from the website and from sales reps themselves
I ordered a laptop in Nov 25th, given a ship date of Nov 29. Day passed, then was given Dec 3rd. Day passed, then given today, Dec 6th. My order status still just says order recieved where as people get Released to Manufacturing or in production

Several users have talked to the customer service and call reps in India and shared "definite" shipping dates which came and went.
Personally after reading a few testimonies before buying I thought I wouldn't have such luck but it seems liek a lot of people are left lied to and waiting for weeks for an indefinite delivery

Also they are inconsistent in that people who ordered later days sometimes get their laptops shipped sooner than those who ordered before them (and yes they purchased the same model)

andrewcarr

Distinguished
I've bought a total of three from their sites and it told me I wouldn't get some of the for about three weeks and that's how long it took but it was the best deal so I was fine with that. I can wait to get the best deal I guess, some can't. If you can't they still make great laptops but order them from a store that has them in stock at the moment you order.

rdc85

Honorable
Well my country do not use online order thing, so we are lucky i think....... (we bought from local store)
the bad side is, it very limited on the model and customization ...

The machine it self as far i heard, and my experience is good build

most of my friend that use lenovo also give good rating...

but I'm guess it was irrelevant since the problems related to lenovo shop "things"..

Status
Not open for further replies.