2000 vs 98SE

G

I have a new cpu and mb on order (tbird oc to 1400, kt7-raid, 512 megs) and I'm looking into upgrading to Win2k. While I read numerous posts about how it's so much more stable, it's not the reason I would be upgrading. My 98SE uptimes go on for at least a week (17 days is my best.)

I've read that 2000 isn't quite as quick with games, but how does it shape up in content creation? I like to fool with dvd structure, making my own SVCDs (mini-dvd soon!) I also may look into buying a decent video capture card to record to my harddrives. Is there any performance boost/hit to running 2000? Here are the programs in question:

FlaskMPEG
TmpegEnc
ReMpeg
Soundforge
VirtualDub

jclw

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
My opinions:

Pros:
- SETI workunits and day to day stuff is faster
- More stable
- Better security
- Designed for networking
- Better monitoring tools
- ACPI power states all work as they should

Cons:
- Not as much driver support
- 3D games are slower
- requires more memory for multitasking

I find 128 is the minimum memory requirement for day to day stuff. 256 is better if you like to have multiple programs running at the same time.

As SETI@Home is (slightly) faster in Win2000 I'd think the MPEG/DivX stuff would be too.

If you have (or can get) Win2000 drivers for your devices and have a decent amount of ram I'd recommend it.

- JW

G

What reason do you think since SETI is faster, mpeg will be faster? I'm trying to make a connection between SETI calculations and those made with mpegs (very fpu intensive.)

FWIW, I am not doing divx.

doczenith1

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I may be mistaken, but I thought Tom did some benchmarking during a review in the Digital Video section where he put win2k against win98 using FlaskMPEG. I wanna say that I remember win2k being faster, but check it out yourself.