Z9pe d8 ws acpi_bios error

First I would say flash the BIOS to the 0703 version if it's not there already - http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_2011/Z9PED8_WS/#download

Second, is this a blue screen of death you are seeing? Are you running Windows 8 (please specify whether it is one of the preview build or the RTM)? Can you obtain the crash dumps, upload them to a hosting site and link to it here so we can take a look?

jojobonzi

Honorable
Sep 2, 2012
it's on 0703, win 8 rc. it's a blue screen with a frowning face. can't capture any dumps. preportedly the issue lies within asus drivers. older p5nd mobo (socket 775) worked just fine. can i import commands from old mobo bios into new bios via visual studios or will that not work?

jojobonzi

Honorable
Sep 2, 2012
this is how it looks

:(
Oops, it appears that we have encountered a problem and need to restart.
for more information search ACPI_BIOS_ERROR at a later time.
Your computer will restart in...

then it counts down from 3 to 1. its the weirdest error message ive ever seen. i did some research and apparently asus is responsible for writing the acpi to update their mobos to be able to successfully run windows 8, and havent done so as of yet to this motherboard. my only issue with that is that i had a socket 775 asus mobo p5nd, and it ran win 8 just fine...i also used the same disk to install on both mobos, so it makes me question why a much older board could handle the newer software when a newer one cant.

MikeLX

Honorable
Sep 18, 2012

Any news on this issue? My Workstation is totally useless without Windows 8 upgrade.

Make sure that you are using the Windows 8 RTM from Technet or the MSDN. Do not use the Windows 8 RC, RP, or CP, they are not the same thing; Windows 8 RTM is currently only available to Technet and MSDN subscribers.

ACPI is a configuration and power control interface. ACPI errors can be caused by a kernel-level driver bug, a bug in the system firmware, or a bug in an add-in OPROM such as that found in USB 3.0 controllers, storage controllers, VGA adapters, etc... Check for firmware updates for everything including add-in chips which are present on the motherboard.

MikeLX

Honorable
Sep 18, 2012

Thank you very much for the answer.
The Asus support does not answer, online i see that is a BIOS problem and need to wait for an update that will come in the "next months". I have some customers requesting Windows 8 Store apps and cannot develop right now.
I have the latest BIOS released on August 22, the version 0703, but the problem persists.

I've tried to install Windows 8 RTM Enterprise 90Days trial, and Windows Server 2012 with the same results.

I'll try to disable USB 3 and other things around but i think that it's a kind of bug that Asus need to solve with a new BIOS release.
The funny thing is that seems one of the very few Motherboards with this problem, and it's very expensive too (paid in April >500$)

Thanks

Try running Windows Server 2008 R2 on the metal (or Winodws 7) and run Windows 8 / Server 12 in a VMWare Workstation VM. If you don't feel like paying for a VMWare Workstation license then you can use the free version, VMWare Player which is based on the same codebase. VMWare Workstation has amazing Windows 8 support