Start Menu won't display the All Programs submenu

I have Windows XP Home. My Start Menu won't display the All Programs submenu
since installing Windows Update KB898461.
Normally I would do a System Restore but I don't have any previous System
Restore Points available on my system because it got turned off somehow by
some malware or something since the last time I checked it, about a year ago.
I can't do a a Repair Install because I only have the OEM Windows CD.
All the shortcuts are on the hard drive in the correct folders where they
should be, but the only way I can access them is through the Windows Explorer
file mgr.
What controls whether the Start Menu displays the All Programs submenu and
what can I do to fix it?
--
buggywhip

Try this...

Right click the Start button | Properties | Start Menu tab |
Customize button | Advanced tab | Select Open Submenus
when I pause on them with my mouse | OK | Apply | OK

[[Specifies that when you point to a Start menu item that contains other
items, those items are immediately displayed.]]

Without this selected, you have to *click* All Programs to open it.

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:F72D3E43-4BBF-4416-AF5B-F65989AC915D@microsoft.com,
buggywhip <buggywhip@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> I have Windows XP Home. My Start Menu won't display the All Programs
> submenu since installing Windows Update KB898461.
> Normally I would do a System Restore but I don't have any previous System
> Restore Points available on my system because it got turned off somehow by
> some malware or something since the last time I checked it, about a year
> ago. I can't do a a Repair Install because I only have the OEM Windows CD.
> All the shortcuts are on the hard drive in the correct folders where they
> should be, but the only way I can access them is through the Windows
> Explorer file mgr.
> What controls whether the Start Menu displays the All Programs submenu and
> what can I do to fix it?
> --
> buggywhip

Thanks but I've tried that already and it didn't work! Here is my latest
summary of the problem:
My Start Menu won't display the All Programs submenu when hovering or
clicking or even using keyboard and "Enter" since installing Windows Update
KB898461. The Right Click Menu still works on the start button and the "All
Programs" entry though. Also, ToolTips appear on all items except All
Programs and menus are missing rom Windows Explorer. Tried switching to
"Classic Start Menu" but then it (Start Menu) doesn't appear at all!
I don't know if this is related but I used to always see the process
igfxtray.exe in Task Manager's processes, but don't anymore
Normally I would do a System Restore but I don't have any previous System
Restore Points available on my system because it got turned off somehow by
some malware or something since the last time I checked it, about a year ago.
I can't do a a Repair Install because I only have the OEM Windows CD.
All the shortcuts are on the hard drive in the correct folders where they
should be, but the only way I can access them is through the Windows Explorer
file mgr.
THE BIG QUESTION IS:

"Wesley Vogel" wrote:

> Try this...
>
> Right click the Start button | Properties | Start Menu tab |
> Customize button | Advanced tab | Select Open Submenus
> when I pause on them with my mouse | OK | Apply | OK
>

> [[Specifies that when you point to a Start menu item that contains other
> items, those items are immediately displayed.]]
>
> Without this selected, you have to *click* All Programs to open it.
>
> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>
> Wes
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> In news:F72D3E43-4BBF-4416-AF5B-F65989AC915D@microsoft.com,
> buggywhip <buggywhip@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> > I have Windows XP Home. My Start Menu won't display the All Programs
> > submenu since installing Windows Update KB898461.
> > Normally I would do a System Restore but I don't have any previous System
> > Restore Points available on my system because it got turned off somehow by
> > some malware or something since the last time I checked it, about a year
> > ago. I can't do a a Repair Install because I only have the OEM Windows CD.
> > All the shortcuts are on the hard drive in the correct folders where they
> > should be, but the only way I can access them is through the Windows
> > Explorer file mgr.
> > What controls whether the Start Menu displays the All Programs submenu and
> > what can I do to fix it?
> > --
> > buggywhip

Do you see the missing items in