Dual boot Windows 98 SE will not start

July 6, 2005 6:03:47 AM

I have a dual boot system with Windows 98 SE on my logical drive C
and Windows XP on my logical drive D. I need to run a program that
will not run under XP. I have discovered that my Windows 98
installation will not boot at all. All I get is a blinking cursor
in the upper left corner of the screen. It does not seem to even
start my config.sys.

I have checked my boot paths with the XP msconfig and it says that
they are all ok. I have looked at the boot.ini, msdos.sys and
config.sys files and they look ok.

How can I repair this Windows 98 SE installation without damaging my
XP setup? Thank you in advance for all replies.
--
My cat really loves me. When it is cold at night he lies right
up against me in the bed to help keep me warm.

July 6, 2005 2:48:06 PM

If you havet he RAM and you want to reclaim the 98 partitions space I have
two words:

Virtual PC.

"Daniel Prince" wrote:

> I have a dual boot system with Windows 98 SE on my logical drive C
> and Windows XP on my logical drive D. I need to run a program that
> will not run under XP. I have discovered that my Windows 98
> installation will not boot at all. All I get is a blinking cursor
> in the upper left corner of the screen. It does not seem to even
> start my config.sys.
>
> I have checked my boot paths with the XP msconfig and it says that
> they are all ok. I have looked at the boot.ini, msdos.sys and
> config.sys files and they look ok.
>
> How can I repair this Windows 98 SE installation without damaging my
> XP setup? Thank you in advance for all replies.
> --
> My cat really loves me. When it is cold at night he lies right
> up against me in the bed to help keep me warm.

July 6, 2005 5:42:58 PM

Hi Daniel,
Have you tried to run that Win98 program under WinXP using its compatibility
mode ? On your dual booting problem. It's ages since I have set a dual boot
system up but I think as you have operating systems on volumes C and D you
need a mechanism to set the active drive. This is a flag that simply says I
am the boot partition use me. It can be set in lots of ways Partition Magic
will do it and I think the recovery console lets you do it as well. Its a
bit late to tell you but you could have installed Win XP on C: without
destroying Win98 and XP would have managed which OS starts. However a
solution to your current problem would be to install a Boot Management
program and let that toggle the partition activation flag allowing Win 98 or
WinXP to start up

Chelsea.
July 6, 2005 5:42:59 PM

"Chelsea" <gallium1@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Its a
>bit late to tell you but you could have installed Win XP on C: without
>destroying Win98 and XP would have managed which OS starts.

I tried that but the XP installation program said that it was not
allowed.
--
My cat really loves me. When it is cold at night he lies right
up against me in the bed to help keep me warm.

July 6, 2005 11:55:17 PM

Why do you think you need to run a program that will not run under XP?

Post your boot.ini file.

--

johnf

>I have a dual boot system with Windows 98 SE on my logical drive C
> and Windows XP on my logical drive D. I need to run a program that
> will not run under XP. I have discovered that my Windows 98
> installation will not boot at all. All I get is a blinking cursor
> in the upper left corner of the screen. It does not seem to even
> start my config.sys.
>
> I have checked my boot paths with the XP msconfig and it says that
> they are all ok. I have looked at the boot.ini, msdos.sys and
> config.sys files and they look ok.
>
> How can I repair this Windows 98 SE installation without damaging my
> XP setup? Thank you in advance for all replies.
> --
> My cat really loves me. When it is cold at night he lies right
> up against me in the bed to help keep me warm.

July 6, 2005 11:55:18 PM

"johnf" <john_f@bigpond.net.a> wrote:

>Why do you think you need to run a program that will not run under XP?

The program I need to run is Scramdisk. Everything I have read
about this program on the newsgroups and on the Scramdisk web site
says that it will NOT run under XP.

>Post your boot.ini file.

[boot loader]
timeout=30
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP
Home Edition" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn
C:\="Microsoft Windows 98"

--
My cat really loves me. When it is cold at night he lies right
up against me in the bed to help keep me warm.

July 7, 2005 2:00:49 PM

I seem to remember that '98 should be the main OS & XP the 2nd., with dual
boot.
That last line seems a bit odd also, perhaps someone could correct me if I'm
mistaken.

--

johnf

!