Dual boot Windows 98 SE will not start

I have a dual boot system with Windows 98 SE on my logical drive C
and Windows XP on my logical drive D. I need to run a program that
will not run under XP. I have discovered that my Windows 98
installation will not boot at all. All I get is a blinking cursor
in the upper left corner of the screen. It does not seem to even
start my config.sys.

I have checked my boot paths with the XP msconfig and it says that
they are all ok. I have looked at the boot.ini, msdos.sys and
config.sys files and they look ok.

How can I repair this Windows 98 SE installation without damaging my
XP setup? Thank you in advance for all replies.
--
My cat really loves me. When it is cold at night he lies right
up against me in the bed to help keep me warm.

More about dual boot windows start

    If you havet he RAM and you want to reclaim the 98 partitions space I have
    two words:

    Virtual PC.

    "Daniel Prince" wrote:

    > I have a dual boot system with Windows 98 SE on my logical drive C
    > and Windows XP on my logical drive D. I need to run a program that
    > will not run under XP. I have discovered that my Windows 98
    > installation will not boot at all. All I get is a blinking cursor
    > in the upper left corner of the screen. It does not seem to even
    > start my config.sys.
    >
    > I have checked my boot paths with the XP msconfig and it says that
    > they are all ok. I have looked at the boot.ini, msdos.sys and
    > config.sys files and they look ok.
    >
    > How can I repair this Windows 98 SE installation without damaging my
    > XP setup? Thank you in advance for all replies.
    > --
    > My cat really loves me. When it is cold at night he lies right
    > up against me in the bed to help keep me warm.

    Hi Daniel,
    Have you tried to run that Win98 program under WinXP using its compatibility
    mode ? On your dual booting problem. It's ages since I have set a dual boot
    system up but I think as you have operating systems on volumes C and D you
    need a mechanism to set the active drive. This is a flag that simply says I
    am the boot partition use me. It can be set in lots of ways Partition Magic
    will do it and I think the recovery console lets you do it as well. Its a
    bit late to tell you but you could have installed Win XP on C: without
    destroying Win98 and XP would have managed which OS starts. However a
    solution to your current problem would be to install a Boot Management
    program and let that toggle the partition activation flag allowing Win 98 or
    WinXP to start up

    Chelsea.

    "Chelsea" <gallium1@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >Its a
    >bit late to tell you but you could have installed Win XP on C: without
    >destroying Win98 and XP would have managed which OS starts.

    I tried that but the XP installation program said that it was not
    allowed.
    --
    My cat really loves me. When it is cold at night he lies right
    up against me in the bed to help keep me warm.

    Why do you think you need to run a program that will not run under XP?

    Post your boot.ini file.

    --

    johnf

    "johnf" <john_f@bigpond.net.a> wrote:

    >Why do you think you need to run a program that will not run under XP?

    The program I need to run is Scramdisk. Everything I have read
    about this program on the newsgroups and on the Scramdisk web site
    says that it will NOT run under XP.

    >Post your boot.ini file.

    [boot loader]
    timeout=30
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP
    Home Edition" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn
    C:\="Microsoft Windows 98"

    --
    My cat really loves me. When it is cold at night he lies right
    up against me in the bed to help keep me warm.

    I seem to remember that '98 should be the main OS & XP the 2nd., with dual
    boot.
    That last line seems a bit odd also, perhaps someone could correct me if I'm
    mistaken.

    --

    johnf

    > "johnf" <john_f@bigpond.net.a> wrote:
    >
    >>Why do you think you need to run a program that will not run under XP?
    >
    > The program I need to run is Scramdisk. Everything I have read
    > about this program on the newsgroups and on the Scramdisk web site
    > says that it will NOT run under XP.
    >
    >>Post your boot.ini file.
    >
    > [boot loader]
    > timeout=30
    > [operating systems]
    > multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP
    > Home Edition" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn
    > C:\="Microsoft Windows 98"
    >
    > --
    > My cat really loves me. When it is cold at night he lies right
    > up against me in the bed to help keep me warm.

    > World! >100,000 Newsgroups ---= East/West-Coast Server Farms - Total
    > Privacy via Encryption =---

Windows 98 Dual Boot Windows XP