A FACT ON ATI

rcf84

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
WELL THIS IS ONE THING TO SAY. ATI IS THE ONLY COMPANY LEFT THAT CAN PRODUCE THERE OWN VIDEO CARD AND STILL STAY IN BUSINESS

3DFX = FAILED
MATROX = SOMEWHAT FAILED
ATI = DOING GREAT

-- takes one to now one --

jg38141

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
It's "their" own, and stop using all caps.
Also 3D Labs- who makes the most awsome open gl cards in the world with their glint chips and oxygen series, is still doing very well selling their $600+ cards. I think you jumped the gun on this statement without really looking around to see what's really out there.

"Are you saying that I can dodge bullets?"

Bubba

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
You also have to consider something else. ATI is the sole supplier of video cards to Macintosh computers. All Macs have an ATi when first built.
I think this is what keeps them afloat. I don't think they would be in business long if all they did was supply to the PC market.

breed33

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Actually ATI would be OK if they only supplied the PC arena. They have the largest share of OEMs using their video cards. They also have a virtual choke hold on the notebook world too.

So being the master of the Mac world is not their only claim to fame.

PS Before 3dfx went under they made the VooDoo 5500 for the Mac also.

G

Not any more most of the the new G4Cubes and mobile MACS will be powered by Nvidia cause ATi screwed Mac them over. Can't remeber where the article was but I saw and it was confirmed. Not to mention the NV20 will be MAC compatable say good night to Ati.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by c0_re on 12/22/00 02:27 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

G

One thing's for sure, ATI will have to fight like hell if it wants to stay alive. Nvidia is cutting into their market.
And this kind of competition is good for gamers!
-Pedro229

G

There's a rumor that the new G4 PowerBooks will come with the new mobile GeForce2. I wish I had a GeForce2 on my laptop instead of ATI Rage LT, oh well. :)

Grizely1

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
GeForce2 mobile capabilities will be on PC Notebooks soon (GeForce2 GO.)

Also, Wusy, it's because the Mac's OS and stuff doesn't use near as much resorces. Same thing if you used Linux, you would get better performance (although you could barely run anything unless you got an OS emulator.)

TheAntipop

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
If the gaming industry would start making all their games make Mac and Linux compatible, then Microsoft would start losing business faster than the Titanic went under the Atlantic. Im looking for the first opportunity to jump completely off the sinking Windows boat.
Oh and by the way, Whistler, the next generation Winbloze OS, SUX. It is a joke. Just thought youd all like to see what crap Microsuck has in store for you :)

TBird 800 - Asus A7V 1005a
256 PC133 - WD 10BG ATA66
Voodoo3 2000 - SB PCI 128

G

I'm wondering if Mac will really be able to beat a "normal" PC system in the future. As we currently stand I read a test review comparing an Imac and a Compaq PC equipped with a 700 MHz P3, IBM Deskstar HD, 128 MB RAM and a Geforce 256 DDR card. The PC beat the Imac on all points except on design.

I must admit though that I have not seen the specs on a G5, nor have I seen any previews.
The point is that Macintosh inc. has made a strong point for a long time that a Mac is faster and better than a PC while their hardware (HD, Processor, gfx card etc.) is slower than a PC equivalent in the same price range.

As I see it Mac is a nish product mostly used by media companies (such as publishers etc, due mostly to historical reasons).