Service Tag

Hi,

I have a Latitude C600 and have just had a new motherboard, The bios
is A23 and the Service Tag is reset to FIELDxx :(

Can i set it to the Service tag on my case?

I have the asset program and tried asset /s xxxxxxx (my Service Tag)
however it says,

a:\ asset /s xxxxxxx
ASSET -- Version 2.01 (C) Copyright 1993 - 2000 Dell Computer Corp
About to change the Service Tag. Are you sure? [y,n]
(I enter y)
BEEP
Error: Cannot change the Service Tag.
Please ensure the tag is in a correct format, and the SETUP password
is disabled.

I did check the code and the password, all ok, so guys, any ideas?

I also tried to delete the Service Tag first (asset /s /d) dit the
same stuff as trying to set it and the exact same error....

Have i missed something?

email - drew.Johnstone@btSPAMconnect.com - remove SPAM

All help greatly appriciated :)

Cheers

Drew
17 answers Last reply
More about service

    Latitude C600 wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I have a Latitude C600 and have just had a new motherboard, The bios
    > is A23 and the Service Tag is reset to FIELDxx :(
    >
    > Can i set it to the Service tag on my case?
    >
    > I have the asset program and tried asset /s xxxxxxx (my Service Tag)
    > however it says,
    >
    > a:\ asset /s xxxxxxx
    > ASSET -- Version 2.01 (C) Copyright 1993 - 2000 Dell Computer Corp
    > About to change the Service Tag. Are you sure? [y,n]
    > (I enter y)
    > BEEP
    > Error: Cannot change the Service Tag.
    > Please ensure the tag is in a correct format, and the SETUP password
    > is disabled.
    >
    > I did check the code and the password, all ok, so guys, any ideas?
    >
    > I also tried to delete the Service Tag first (asset /s /d) dit the
    > same stuff as trying to set it and the exact same error....
    >
    > Have i missed something?
    >
    > email - drew.Johnstone@btSPAMconnect.com - remove SPAM
    >
    > All help greatly appriciated :)

    1) Is it a Dell motherboard?

    2) If so, are you sure *all* passwords have been disabled?

    Notan

    hi,

    Checked the motherboard, yes this is a dell motherboard and in the
    bios the 2 passwords are off...

    dont think ive missed anything but anyone go any ideas?

    Cheers

    Drew

    Latitude C600 wrote:

    > hi,
    >
    > Checked the motherboard, yes this is a dell motherboard and in the
    > bios the 2 passwords are off...
    >
    > dont think ive missed anything but anyone go any ideas?

    The only thing I can think of is that your copy of asset.com
    isn't any good... I'll send you the copy that I used.

    Notan

    NOTAN - got your email but it is blank....

    sorry

    Drew

    Latitude C600 wrote:

    > NOTAN - got your email but it is blank....

    No attachment?

    Notan

    Hey,

    No, I had a .dat (3k) file, not the asset file... doesnt seem to be
    anything there..

    Cheers

    Drew

    Latitude C600 wrote:

    > Hey,
    >
    > No, I had a .dat (3k) file, not the asset file... doesnt seem to be
    > anything there..

    I'll send it from a different address...

    Notan

    NOTAN,

    Sorry, still nothing, is there somewhere i can download this?

    Cheers
    drew

    Latitude C600 wrote:

    > NOTAN,
    >
    > Sorry, still nothing, is there somewhere i can download this?

    Try http://tinyurl.com/85lyd.

    Notan

    aliuk147@yahoo-dot-com.no-spam.invalid (aliuk147) wrote:
    >Hi Im a X dell systems engineer….
    >
    >I have this fantastic utility that not only changes/deletes your
    >service tag (not the asset tag), but can do a hell of a lot more very
    [...]
    >If anyone requires this utility, please email me at

    >I also have obtained a utility that can crack any Bios admin, Hdd,
    >systems and supervisor password

    How stupid are we supposed to be again?

    Latitude C600 wrote:

    > NOTAN,
    >
    > Sorry, still nothing, is there somewhere i can download this?

    Try http://tinyurl.com/85lyd.

    Notan

    Hi, Tried this but i get - Error: Unable to find site's URL to
    redirect to.

    help :(
    I may just give up on this....

    I downloaded it from here:
    ftp.us.dell.com/utility/ASSETA00.EXE

    On 17 May 2005 17:32:28 -0400,
    drew.johnstone@btconnect-dot-com.no-spam.invalid (Latitude C600)

    Latitude C600 wrote:
    >>Notanwrote:
    >
    > Latitude C600 wrote:
    >
    >>NOTAN,
    >>
    >>Sorry, still nothing, is there somewhere i can download this?
    >>

    > Try http://tinyurl.com/85lyd.
    >
    > Notan
    >
    > Hi, Tried this but i get - Error: Unable to find site's URL to
    > redirect to.
    >
    > help :(
    > I may just give up on this....

    that's just a text file, not a .exe

    ez2bme wrote:

    > Latitude C600 wrote:
    > >>Notanwrote:
    > >
    > > Latitude C600 wrote:
    > >
    > >>NOTAN,
    > >>
    > >>Sorry, still nothing, is there somewhere i can download this?
    > >>

    > > Try http://tinyurl.com/85lyd.
    > >
    > > Notan
    > >
    > > Hi, Tried this but i get - Error: Unable to find site's URL to
    > > redirect to.
    > >
    > > help :(
    > > I may just give up on this....
    > >
    > that's just a text file, not a .exe

    Try ftp://ftp.dell.com/utility/ and look for ASSETA00.EXE.

    Notan

    To all those guys who have
    emailed me for a copy of this utility to change your
    service tag,[/uI
    have had a massive responce currently gathering all your address and
    will be sending this utility soon, have not forgot you. Trying to
    send a respnce to each email is taking to much time, and time is of
    the essance..Im sure you all
    understand.....
    :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: 8) 8) 8) :o
  16. Quote:

    aliuk147@yahoo-dot-com.no-spam.invalid (aliuk147) wrote:
    >Hi Im a X dell systems engineer….
    >
    >I have this fantastic utility that not only changes/deletes your
    >service tag (not the asset tag), but can do a hell of a lot more very
    [...]
    >If anyone requires this utility, please email me at

    >I also have obtained a utility that can crack any Bios admin, Hdd,
    >systems and supervisor password

    How stupid are we supposed to be again?

    i cant get into my laptop because i forgor my bios password any tips? dell precision m65 no jumpers or dipswitches on the mobo email back at kylebebber@gmail.com plzplzplz
  17. If it's your BIOS password, look for a reset button underneath. If there isn't one, pull the battery for a minute.

Dell Computers