netgear router and buffalo access point?

Last response: in Wireless Networking
May 1, 2004 1:07:18 PM

hi there

I've got a netgear WGR614 wireless router connected to my cable modem. The
PC in the same room connects off the back of the router, fine. The laptop
in another room uses a wireless connection, fine.

I've just bought a Buffalo WLA-G54 bridge, so that I can connect a new wired
device downstairs to the bridge, then see the wireless network upstairs.

I've setup the SSID, the channel number, loads of stuff, and I'm getting
nowhere - neither device sees each other. Any ideas?

thanks in advance

Mark Haller
May 1, 2004 1:07:19 PM

"news.blueyonder.co.uk" <mark_haller@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> hi there
>
> I've got a netgear WGR614 wireless router connected to my cable modem.
The
> PC in the same room connects off the back of the router, fine. The
laptop
> in another room uses a wireless connection, fine.
>
> I've just bought a Buffalo WLA-G54 bridge, so that I can connect a new
wired
> device downstairs to the bridge, then see the wireless network upstairs.
>
> I've setup the SSID, the channel number, loads of stuff, and I'm getting
> nowhere - neither device sees each other. Any ideas?

I doubt they would work together.

I have a Netgear wireless router as well (FWAG114).
When I looked at wireless bridges & WDS capable APs last year, I got the
impression that they don't interoperate very well between different
manufacturers, so I got Netgear WGE101 instead of WLA-G54.

WGE101 works well, but I needed to also get a hub/switch to connect mutiple
devices.
I would have preferred to use something like WLA-G54 (builtin switch) if
anyone can figure out a way.

yuki
Anonymous
May 2, 2004 6:18:24 PM

hey there,

Just to let you know, I'm sending the Buffalo bridge back, and I've just
ordered the WGE101 bridge from Netgear, as they work together. Well, a
lesson learnt there then!

thanks for your reply :)

marky_uk

!