Explorer windows open as search

Anyone know how I can stop Windows explorer opening folders in the right
hand pane as a search folder?
I used to be able to have the tree directory in the left hand panel and in
the right hand when I double clicked on the folder, it would open. Now it
goes to search. If I right click, Search is in bold and at the top of the
list

TIA
5 answers Last reply
More about explorer windows open search

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;321186

    "olympus" <olympus@nononannettenospam.com> wrote in message
    > Anyone know how I can stop Windows explorer opening folders in the right
    > hand pane as a search folder?
    > I used to be able to have the tree directory in the left hand panel and in
    > the right hand when I double clicked on the folder, it would open. Now it
    > goes to search. If I right click, Search is in bold and at the top of the
    > list
    >
    > TIA

    Search Companion Starts If You Double-Click a Folder
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;321186

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    "olympus" wrote:

    | Anyone know how I can stop Windows explorer opening folders in the right
    | hand pane as a search folder?
    | I used to be able to have the tree directory in the left hand panel and in
    | the right hand when I double clicked on the folder, it would open. Now it
    | goes to search. If I right click, Search is in bold and at the top of the
    | list
    |
    | TIA

    Hi

    Please see the following link to Kelly's web site:

    Line 18 - right hand side

    Will Denny
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    Please reply to the News Groups

    "olympus" <olympus@nononannettenospam.com> wrote in message
    > Anyone know how I can stop Windows explorer opening folders in the right
    > hand pane as a search folder?
    > I used to be able to have the tree directory in the left hand panel and in
    > the right hand when I double clicked on the folder, it would open. Now it
    > goes to search. If I right click, Search is in bold and at the top of the
    > list
    >
    > TIA

    This problem occurs when you alter the "Drive" / "File Folders" entries via
    File Types dialog, to add a "Command Prompt here" or "Print Directory"
    feature for folders. (example)

    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=321379
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=321186

    Resolution:

    Click Start/Run and type this command to fix this problem:
    (Tip from David Candy)

    regsvr32 /i shell32.dll

    -or-

    To fix this manually via registry:

    If this problem is seen for Drives:

    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Drive\shell
    Set (default) to "none" (without ")

    If this problem is seen for folders:

    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell]
    Set (default) to "none" (without ")

    --
    Ramesh, MS-MVP
    Windows Shell/User

    Windows XP Troubleshooting
    http://www.winhelponline.com
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org

    "olympus" <olympus@nononannettenospam.com> wrote in message
    > Anyone know how I can stop Windows explorer opening folders in the right
    > hand pane as a search folder?
    > I used to be able to have the tree directory in the left hand panel and in
    > the right hand when I double clicked on the folder, it would open. Now it
    > goes to search. If I right click, Search is in bold and at the top of the
    > list
    >
    > TIA

    Thanks all, that sorted it!

    > This problem occurs when you alter the "Drive" / "File Folders" entries
    > via File Types dialog, to add a "Command Prompt here" or "Print Directory"
    > feature for folders. (example)
    >
    > http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=321379
    > http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=321186
    >
    > Resolution:
    >
    > Click Start/Run and type this command to fix this problem:
    > (Tip from David Candy)
    >
    > regsvr32 /i shell32.dll
    >
    > -or-
    >
    > To fix this manually via registry:
    >
    > If this problem is seen for Drives:
    >
    > HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Drive\shell
    > Set (default) to "none" (without ")
    >
    > If this problem is seen for folders:
    >
    > [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell]
    > Set (default) to "none" (without ")
    >
    > --
    > Ramesh, MS-MVP
    > Windows Shell/User
    >
    > Windows XP Troubleshooting
    > http://www.winhelponline.com
    > http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >
    > Windows XP Newsgroup Setup Instructions for Outlook Express:
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroupsetup.mspx
    >

    > "olympus" <olympus@nononannettenospam.com> wrote in message
    >> Anyone know how I can stop Windows explorer opening folders in the right
    >> hand pane as a search folder?
    >> I used to be able to have the tree directory in the left hand panel and
    >> in the right hand when I double clicked on the folder, it would open. Now
    >> it goes to search. If I right click, Search is in bold and at the top of
    >> the list
    >>
    >> TIA

Windows Explorer Explorer Windows XP