Hi all,
I've got a U5000 giving me fits. It just ticks....OCP shutdown. I replaced
all caps, HOT test good, Flyback rings good on my tester, D106A/B/C all test
good, no shorts on the big poly. caps going to the yoke.....still ticking.
Since I had them around, I also replaced: Q101, U101, U701, & U601. Still
ticking. Any suggestions? Can someone tell me how to isolate the power
supply section on this particular monitor? It looks like it would be jumper
W159. I lifted that...still ticking. Thanks for any suggestions/help!

Edward

The U2000 (standard res) and U5000 (medium res) were some of
Wells-Gardner's most troublesome monitors. That's why they were quickly
replaced by the k7400 and k7500 series respectively.

There are some repair/upgrade kits that you can order to fix the
problems these monitors have. Call the parts department at
Wells-Gardner (1-800-336-6630 or 708-290-2100) and order one each of
the following service kits:

# S04E0000-000F Service Kit, U2000/U5000 Power Supply Update & Repair

# S05F0000-000F Service Kit, U2000/U5000 Vertical Sweep Upgrade/Repair

# S01J0000-000F Service Kit, U5000 Horozontal Output Update/Repair

The first two kits are mandatory while the last kit is optional. I
suggest installing all three kits for reliability.

Forgot to mention this:

If you need a manual, you can either order Wells part number
069X2710-100 or 069X2711-100 Product Manual (service manual) for U5000.
It includes a high quality schematic that's easy & clear to read.

If you want to download a free manual, try this:
www.mikesarcade.com/arcade/monitors.html
but the only drawback is the schematic is scanned at too low of a
resolution and is hard/unclear to read.

I had a U5000 that drove me nuts. It had all the upgrades and I
replaced all of the caps as well. Fixed a grounding issue towards the
back of the chassis that was a result of poorly designed chassis mount.

I gave up after about 50 bucks and sent it to P&L. They replaced a
bunch of mylar caps on the neckboard (supposedly). I should have taken
a good look at it when I got it back but I just wanted to be rid of it.

$45 later + shipping, it was working and I sold the whole thing inside a
Winding Heat game. Must have spent 6 or 7 hours on that chassis.

Don't make the same mistake I did. My time is more valuable than the
$45 I spent.

Pat D.