Windows Picture and Fax Viewer file selection

July 6, 2005 2:27:03 PM

Sometimes I will highlight a range of photo files and open them into Picture
and Fax viewer. I can then page through all the photos I selected.

Occasionally though, I will load a range of photos into the viewer and
photos from outside the range I selected get loaded into the viewer. When
this has happened, I've gone back and reselected the range and tried it again
and still get pictures loading from outside the range I wanted. Also, I
notice on the viewer's print wizard that pictures/documents from outside my
range of selected documents are sometimes presented for printing.

Anyone know how that happens and how do you fix it?
Anonymous
July 7, 2005 11:43:47 AM

Hi Adrastos,

Thanks for posting here.

From your post, my understanding of this issue is: Occasionally you select
a range of photo files and open them into Windows Picture and Fax Viewer,
but you find some photos from outside the range you selected are also
loaded into the Viewer. If this is not correct, please feel free to let me
know.

I have performed a lot of research on this issue, searching in both our
internal knowledge base and the Internet, but I cannot find any similar
issue. Especially, this issue seems to happen randomly, and intermittent
problems are a real pain to isolate, so it may be very difficult to find
the root cause.

Furthermore, I have tested this issue on my own box as below:

1. Open a folder containing a lot of pictures in Windows Explorer.

2. Select multiple picture files with the following methods:

a. Select some consecutive files, click the first item, press and hold down
SHIFT, and then click the last item (or using mouse to drag and drop).

b. Select some nonconsecutive files, press and hold down CTRL, and then
click each item.

3. Open these selected files with Windows Picture and Fax Viewer with the
following methods:

a. Right click one of the selected files, and then click Preview.

b. Press ENTER key directly.

4. Everything works fine - only selected files are opened and browsed by
Windows Picture and Fax Viewer.

I have done the same test with different picture files for several times,
and I never encounter the issue as you mentioned during the test.

So, is there any difference between your operation process and my test?

Furthermore, if the issue persists, I suggest you may test this issue again
and again in a Clean Boot environment to eliminate third-party interference
as below:
=========================
A clean boot will allow us to isolate any device drivers or programs that
are loading at startup that may be causing a conflict with other device
drivers or programs that are installed in your computer.

1. Click Start, click Run, type "msconfig" (without the quotation marks) in
the Open box, and then click OK.
2. In the Startup tab, click the "Disable All" button.
3. In the Services tab, check the "Hide All Microsoft Services" checkbox,
and then click the "Disable All" button.
4. Click OK and restart your computer.

If your issue is resolved at this point, repeat the process, but add one
check back each time to the list of files listed under the "Startup" and
"Services" menu until the issue reappears again, when this happens follow
these steps:

1. Select the tab for the last file you enabled and remove the checks from
each line in that file.
2. Click the Apply button
3. Reboot your computer and verify the issue has not reappeared.
4. Replace each check mark one line at a time.
5. Click the Apply button.
6. Reboot your computer.

When the issue reappears you will then know which line or command is
causing the issue.

How to troubleshoot by using the System Configuration utility in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310560

Hope this helps!

Have a nice day!

Sincerely,
Tom Che
Microsoft Online Partner Support

--------------------
>From: "=?Utf-8?B?QWRyYXN0b3M=?=" <Adrastos@news.postalias>
>Subject: Windows Picture and Fax Viewer file selection
>Date: Wed, 6 Jul 2005 10:27:03 -0700
>Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support
>
>Sometimes I will highlight a range of photo files and open them into
Picture
>and Fax viewer. I can then page through all the photos I selected.
>
>Occasionally though, I will load a range of photos into the viewer and
>photos from outside the range I selected get loaded into the viewer. When
>this has happened, I've gone back and reselected the range and tried it
again
>and still get pictures loading from outside the range I wanted. Also, I
>notice on the viewer's print wizard that pictures/documents from outside
my
>range of selected documents are sometimes presented for printing.
>
>Anyone know how that happens and how do you fix it?

Anonymous
July 7, 2005 2:55:02 PM

Tom,

Thanks very much for the reply. Yes, you do understand the issue I'm having
and your tests replicate the way I tend to open a range of photo files. I'll
see if there are any other clues I can find regarding this problem and pass
that along.

"Tom Che [MSFT]" wrote:

> [...]
> >Subject: Windows Picture and Fax Viewer file selection
> >Date: Wed, 6 Jul 2005 10:27:03 -0700
> >Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support
> >
> >Sometimes I will highlight a range of photo files and open them into
> Picture
> >and Fax viewer. I can then page through all the photos I selected.
> >
> >Occasionally though, I will load a range of photos into the viewer and
> >photos from outside the range I selected get loaded into the viewer. When
> >this has happened, I've gone back and reselected the range and tried it
> again
> >and still get pictures loading from outside the range I wanted. Also, I
> >notice on the viewer's print wizard that pictures/documents from outside
> my
> >range of selected documents are sometimes presented for printing.
> >
> >Anyone know how that happens and how do you fix it?

July 8, 2005 10:55:50 AM

Hi Adrastos,

Thanks for your response.

If you have any updates or need any further assistance on this issue,
please feel free to let me know. I am glad to be of assistance. :-)

> [...]

>> >Date: Wed, 6 Jul 2005 10:27:03 -0700
>> >Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support
>> >
>> >Sometimes I will highlight a range of photo files and open them into
>> Picture
>> >and Fax viewer. I can then page through all the photos I selected.
>> >
>> >Occasionally though, I will load a range of photos into the viewer and
>> >photos from outside the range I selected get loaded into the viewer.
When
>> >this has happened, I've gone back and reselected the range and tried it
>> again
>> >and still get pictures loading from outside the range I wanted. Also,
>> >notice on the viewer's print wizard that pictures/documents from
outside
>> my
>> >range of selected documents are sometimes presented for printing.
>> >
>> >Anyone know how that happens and how do you fix it?

July 11, 2005 8:56:04 PM

Tom,

I've found that if I use Windows Explorer and right-click on a photo and
then "Open With" Photo and Fax Viewer, I get the problem behavior (files
outside the selected range get loaded). This happens whether Photo and Fax
Viewer is the default app for the photo file or not, and I've replicated on a
couple different machines. Let me know if you get the same results. Thanks
in advance!

"Tom Che [MSFT]" wrote:

> [...]
> >> 2. Click the Apply button
> >> 3. Reboot your computer and verify the issue has not reappeared.
> >> 4. Replace each check mark one line at a time.
> >> 5. Click the Apply button.
> >> 6. Reboot your computer.
> >>
> >> When the issue reappears you will then know which line or command is
> >> causing the issue.
> >>
> >> How to troubleshoot by using the System Configuration utility in Windows
> XP
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310560
> >>
> >> Hope this helps!
> >>
> >> Have a nice day!
> >>
> >> Sincerely,
> >> Tom Che
> >> Microsoft Online Partner Support
> >> Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security
> >>
> >> =====================================================
> >> When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader so
> >> that others may learn and benefit from your issue.

July 12, 2005 10:36:31 AM

Hi Adrastos,

Thanks for your update.

Yes, I can reproduce this "symptom" as you mentioned. However, this is a
normal behavior. Actually, if you open only one picture by left-clicking
it directly or right-clicking it and then selecting Open or Preview,
Windows Picture and Fax Viewer loads all picture files in the same folder
by default, because it doesn't think you have "selected" a file but just
opened it. If you want to get a range, you have to select two or more
files at the same time.

Hope this can answer your question.

Have a nice day!

Sincerely,
Tom Che

Microsoft Online Partner Support
--------------------
>From: "=?Utf-8?B?QWRyYXN0b3M=?=" <Adrastos@news.postalias>
>Subject: RE: Windows Picture and Fax Viewer file selection
>Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2005 16:56:04 -0700
>Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support
>
>Tom,
>
>I've found that if I use Windows Explorer and right-click on a photo and
>then "Open With" Photo and Fax Viewer, I get the problem behavior (files
>outside the selected range get loaded). This happens whether Photo and
Fax
>Viewer is the default app for the photo file or not, and I've replicated
on a
>couple different machines. Let me know if you get the same results.
Thanks
>in advance!
>

>"Tom Che [MSFT]" wrote:
>
>> Hi Adrastos,
>>
>> Thanks for your response.
>>
>> If you have any updates or need any further assistance on this issue,
>> please feel free to let me know. I am glad to be of assistance. :-)
>>
>> Have a nice day!
>>
>> Sincerely,
>> Tom Che
>>
>> Microsoft Online Partner Support
>> When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader so
>> that others may learn and benefit from your issue.
rights.

>> --------------------
>> >From: "=?Utf-8?B?QWRyYXN0b3M=?=" <Adrastos@news.postalias>
>> >Subject: RE: Windows Picture and Fax Viewer file selection
>> >Date: Thu, 7 Jul 2005 10:55:02 -0700
>> >Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support
>> >
>> >Tom,
>> >
>> >Thanks very much for the reply. Yes, you do understand the issue I'm
>> having
>> >and your tests replicate the way I tend to open a range of photo files.

>> I'll
>> >see if there are any other clues I can find regarding this problem and
>> pass
>> >that along.

>> select
>> Viewer,
>> me

>> intermittent

>> down

>> the

>> times,

>> again
>> interference
>> that

>> in
>> checkbox,

>> follow

>> from

Windows
>> XP

>> rights.

>> When
Also,
>> outside

Anonymous
July 13, 2005 5:40:12 PM

OK, so if I go in and select a range of photos, right click, and select P&F
viewer I get my range loaded, but when I get to the end of my range I find
everything else in the folder is loaded also. It didn't do much good to
select the range since I get everything in the folder. I think this is
unexpected behavior. Is there anyway to "alter" it so that it only loads the
range of photos I select.

"Tom Che [MSFT]" wrote:

> [...]
> >Viewer is the default app for the photo file or not, and I've replicated
> on a
> >couple different machines. Let me know if you get the same results.
> Thanks
> >in advance!
> >

> >"Tom Che [MSFT]" wrote:
> >
> >> Hi Adrastos,
> >>
> >> Thanks for your response.
> >>
> >> If you have any updates or need any further assistance on this issue,
> >> please feel free to let me know. I am glad to be of assistance. :-)
> >>
> >> Have a nice day!
> >>
> >> Sincerely,
> >> Tom Che
> >>
> >> Microsoft Online Partner Support
> >> Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security
> >> =====================================================
> >> When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader so
> >> that others may learn and benefit from your issue.

July 14, 2005 6:57:57 AM

Hi Adrastos,

Thanks for your update.

I am sorry but I cannot reproduce this issue as you mentioned if I select
two or more files.

Please note, after selecting a range of photos, you should right-click on
one of the selected photo files, and then open them with Windows Picture
and Fax Viewer. If you right-click out of the range, it means you just
open one file, so all files in the same folder will be loaded.

To make sure that you only open the selected files, you may press ENTER to
open the photos as my first reply.

> [...]

rights.
>> --------------------
>> >From: "=?Utf-8?B?QWRyYXN0b3M=?=" <Adrastos@news.postalias>
>> >Subject: RE: Windows Picture and Fax Viewer file selection
>> >Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2005 16:56:04 -0700
>> >Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support
>> >
>> >Tom,
>> >
>> >I've found that if I use Windows Explorer and right-click on a photo
and
>> >then "Open With" Photo and Fax Viewer, I get the problem behavior
(files
>> >outside the selected range get loaded). This happens whether Photo and
>> Fax
>> >Viewer is the default app for the photo file or not, and I've
replicated
>> on a
>> >couple different machines. Let me know if you get the same results.

July 14, 2005 5:16:08 PM

Hi Tom,

Well, this is strange. I understand what you are talking about regarding
right-clicking out of the range. I'm sure I don't click out of the range
when I select Picture and Fax viewer from the pop-up menu because if I go
back to Windows Explorer and look at the selected files, the ones I selected
are still highlighted.

But when I highlight a range and press enter, I do get the result you got
and only the files selected get loaded into Picture and Fax viewer. This is
what I wanted.

But if P&F viewer is not the default app for my photos, I have to select P&F
viewer from the pop-up menu and then all my photos from the folder get
loaded. This happens at home and at work so I'm sure it is not just a quirk
on one computer.

Just to confirm - are you saying that if you select a range of photos,
right-click on the range and select P&F viewer from the pop-up menu that you
only see the photos from your range loaded into P&F viewer? Because I get
everything in the folder.

"Tom Che [MSFT]" wrote:

> [...]
> >> normal behavior. Actually, if you open only one picture by
> left-clicking
> >> it directly or right-clicking it and then selecting Open or Preview,
> >> Windows Picture and Fax Viewer loads all picture files in the same
> folder
> >> by default, because it doesn't think you have "selected" a file but just
> >> opened it. If you want to get a range, you have to select two or more
> >> files at the same time.
> >>
> >> Hope this can answer your question.
> >>
> >> Have a nice day!
> >>
> >> Sincerely,
> >> Tom Che
> >>
> >> Microsoft Online Partner Support
> >> Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security
> >> =====================================================
> >> When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader so
> >> that others may learn and benefit from your issue.

July 15, 2005 3:16:35 PM

Hi Adrastos,

Thanks for your update.

I can reproduce this issue finally! The steps are:

1. Open a folder containing a lot of pictures in Windows Explorer.

2. Select multiple picture files with the following methods:
a. Select some consecutive files, click the first item, press and hold
down SHIFT, and then click the last item (or using mouse to drag and drop).
b. Select some nonconsecutive files, press and hold down CTRL, and then
click each item.

3. Open these selected files with Windows Picture and Fax Viewer with the
following methods:

Right click one of the selected files, and then select Open With -> Windows
Picture and Fax Viewer.

4. This issue as you mentioned happens...

So I recommend you should open the selected files with Windows Picture and
Fax Viewer with the following methods in Step 3 (I have tested in many
computers, and this method always worked fine):

>>>Right click one of the selected files, and then click Preview. <<<

Note: By default (no third-party picture viewer), there should be a
"Preview" command on the first line of the prompted menu.

> [...]

>> Microsoft Online Partner Support
>> When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader so
>> that others may learn and benefit from your issue.
rights.
>> --------------------
>> >From: "=?Utf-8?B?QWRyYXN0b3M=?=" <Adrastos@news.postalias>
>> >Subject: RE: Windows Picture and Fax Viewer file selection
>> >Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2005 13:40:12 -0700
>> >Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support
>> >
>> >OK, so if I go in and select a range of photos, right click, and select
>> P&F
>> >viewer I get my range loaded, but when I get to the end of my range I
find
>> >everything else in the folder is loaded also. It didn't do much good
>> >select the range since I get everything in the folder. I think this is
>> >unexpected behavior. Is there anyway to "alter" it so that it only

:-)

!