missing xp writing wizard

I had bought a new external dvd/cd drive and after I installed the software
that came with it (sonic mydvd and powerdvd) I can no longer use the cd
writing wizard. I can only use sonic dla. I have tried uninstalling the
software but to no avail I still don't have the cd writing wizard and I don't
like using the dla even though it works. If I use the dla then I have to
format the cd/dvd first to write to it and it takes near an hour and a half.
Please help! Thanks
3 answers Last reply
More about missing writing wizard

    Drive CD enable recording wizard

    Open My Computer, right click the CD Drive icon and then click Properties.
    Click the Recording tab.
    Check: Enable CD recording on this drive
    Click: Apply
    Click: OK

    Picture of CD Drive Properties
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/images/using/setup/learnmore/cdburnfig01.jpg

    Enable CD recording on this drive
    This setting turns on the built-in CD recording features included with
    Windows XP.
    Third-party programs sometimes disable this setting.
    You can only enable CD recording for one device at a time.

    Only One CD-R or CD-RW Disk Drive Can Be Used to Create Compact Discs in
    Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;294652

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:BE6DC379-170C-4834-B988-81C739D8BDBD@microsoft.com,
    Jill <Jill@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    > I had bought a new external dvd/cd drive and after I installed the
    > software that came with it (sonic mydvd and powerdvd) I can no longer use
    > the cd writing wizard. I can only use sonic dla. I have tried
    > uninstalling the software but to no avail I still don't have the cd
    > writing wizard and I don't like using the dla even though it works. If I
    > use the dla then I have to format the cd/dvd first to write to it and it
    > takes near an hour and a half. Please help! Thanks

    I did that and there is no recording tab in the properties box. The device
    enabled and it works but only with The sonic dla.

    "Wesley Vogel" wrote:

    > Drive CD enable recording wizard
    >
    > Open My Computer, right click the CD Drive icon and then click Properties.
    > Click the Recording tab.
    > Check: Enable CD recording on this drive
    > Click: Apply
    > Click: OK
    >
    > Picture of CD Drive Properties
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/images/using/setup/learnmore/cdburnfig01.jpg
    >
    > Enable CD recording on this drive
    > This setting turns on the built-in CD recording features included with
    > Windows XP.
    > Third-party programs sometimes disable this setting.
    > You can only enable CD recording for one device at a time.
    >
    > Only One CD-R or CD-RW Disk Drive Can Be Used to Create Compact Discs in
    > Windows XP
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;294652
    >

    > --
    > Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >
    > Wes
    > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >
    > In news:BE6DC379-170C-4834-B988-81C739D8BDBD@microsoft.com,
    > Jill <Jill@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    > > I had bought a new external dvd/cd drive and after I installed the
    > > software that came with it (sonic mydvd and powerdvd) I can no longer use
    > > the cd writing wizard. I can only use sonic dla. I have tried
    > > uninstalling the software but to no avail I still don't have the cd
    > > writing wizard and I don't like using the dla even though it works. If I
    > > use the dla then I have to format the cd/dvd first to write to it and it
    > > takes near an hour and a half. Please help! Thanks

    Jill,

    I know nothing about Sonic DLA.

    Go here and ask them how to uninstall Sonic DLA.

    Support / Consumer / Drive Letter Access
    http://support.sonic.com/desktop/drive_letter_access/default.asp?c=1&product=drive_letter_access

    CD Recording tab missing

    CD-R drive or CD-RW drive is not recognized as a recordable device

    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:C656771A-BF28-4E85-ACB6-5405BB9004DE@microsoft.com,
    Jill <Jill@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    > I did that and there is no recording tab in the properties box. The
    > device enabled and it works but only with The sonic dla.
    >
    > "Wesley Vogel" wrote:
    >
    >> Drive CD enable recording wizard
    >>
    >> Open My Computer, right click the CD Drive icon and then click
    >> Properties. Click the Recording tab.
    >> Check: Enable CD recording on this drive
    >> Click: Apply
    >> Click: OK
    >>
    >> Picture of CD Drive Properties

    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/images/using/setup/learnmore/cdburnfig01.jpg

    >> Enable CD recording on this drive
    >> This setting turns on the built-in CD recording features included with
    >> Windows XP.
    >> Third-party programs sometimes disable this setting.
    >> You can only enable CD recording for one device at a time.
    >>
    >> Only One CD-R or CD-RW Disk Drive Can Be Used to Create Compact Discs in
    >> Windows XP
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;294652
    >>

    >> --
    >> Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >>
    >> Wes
    >> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >>
    >> In news:BE6DC379-170C-4834-B988-81C739D8BDBD@microsoft.com,
    >> Jill <Jill@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    >>> I had bought a new external dvd/cd drive and after I installed the
    >>> software that came with it (sonic mydvd and powerdvd) I can no longer
    >>> use the cd writing wizard. I can only use sonic dla. I have tried
    >>> uninstalling the software but to no avail I still don't have the cd
    >>> writing wizard and I don't like using the dla even though it works. If
    >>> I use the dla then I have to format the cd/dvd first to write to it and
    >>> it takes near an hour and a half. Please help! Thanks

CD-Rom Windows XP