So what's up with "302-720 Fido" in Vancouver and Edmonton?

Last response: in Network Providers
June 17, 2005 3:04:24 PM

When I turned on my prepaid Fido phone in Edmonton, it took longer than
usual to find a network, and then it says "302-720 Fido" and "Roaming".
Calls to Fido service don't work, but other calls seem to. I figured
it's some new Rogers integration thing happening in Edmonton, but today
when I got back to Vancouver I got the same thing here. Am I roaming on
Rogers or not? Are calls the same price? Why hasn't Fido sent any
notice to customers about this?
Anonymous
June 17, 2005 4:07:35 PM

felixcct@yahoo.com wrote:
> When I turned on my prepaid Fido phone in Edmonton, it took longer than
> usual to find a network, and then it says "302-720 Fido" and "Roaming".
> Calls to Fido service don't work, but other calls seem to. I figured
> it's some new Rogers integration thing happening in Edmonton, but today
> when I got back to Vancouver I got the same thing here. Am I roaming on
> Rogers or not? Are calls the same price? Why hasn't Fido sent any
> notice to customers about this?

302-720 is the network id of Rogers. I'm not sure about Edmonton but
they've started the network integration in the BC Lower Mainland.
Everything should be done by end of summer.
Anonymous
June 17, 2005 11:19:05 PM

felixcct@yahoo.com wrote:

> When I turned on my prepaid Fido phone in Edmonton, it took longer than
> usual to find a network, and then it says "302-720 Fido" and "Roaming".

My guess is that the handset Fido now sells are programmed to say "Fido"
instead of "Rogers" when they hit the Rogers network, but are still
programmed to think 302-37 (Microcell) is their home netyowrk even
though there are few antennas still providing service on 302-37.

So the handset knows it is roaming because it is getting 302-72 signals
instead of 320-37, but since it has been programmed to display "Fido"
for 302-72 (Instead of Rogers), it makes it look like it is on Fido.

Considering the speed at which Microcell channels are disapearing, my
guess is that all they are doing right now is changing the network ID of
the microcell towers, and once that is all done, they will start to
really integrate and rationalise the towers. Behind the scenes, they may
also be dismatlying the microcell landline network and using Rogers' to
link the towers with the central switches.
!