lrmv

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I know this question has been asked a lot of times, so it's becoming rather boring, but...

I would like to get some advice from people that are experienced with both cards, preferably on a A7V system. I would like to get OBJECTIVE answers, not the kind of "I will never buy ATI again because their drivers suck" or something like that.

I want to buy a card that works well and works PERFECTLY STABLE on a ASUS A7V mobo. I want good picture quality. It should work well in both Win9x and Win2000. I don't really care about the performance difference between the 2 brands of cards, although I will get the best of any of the 2 cards when I've made my choice.

Besides of the video card, the mobo will also be equipped with a Soundblaster Live Player 5.1 and a 3com 3C905 Combo. (may be important for possible conflicts).

I have read a lot of posts from people experiencing lockups when running 3D apps. I have always encountered sporadic lockups too when running 3D software on my current PC (P5A-B, K6-3 450MHz, 192MB RAM, ATI Rage Fury). I've also tried a TNT (Diamond Viper V550) card in the past, but as well known this card can't be used on the P5A-B, locks up almost immediately. I've also tried a Geforce 256, this card also makes the system lockup frequently (a lot more than with Rage Fury). With all these experiences I have the bad feeling that it is virtually impossible to run 3D soft without lockups.

I may also choose to use the Asus CUSL2-C as mobo if this results in a more stable combination.

Objective opinions?

G

geforce2mx? it uses only 4 watts of power. alternertively, get a thunderbird rig for dirt cheap :)