Can't get boot options at startup

GregF

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2004

Isn't F8 supposed to bring up the boot options for win XP? It's not
working. I've tried F1, F4, Esc, and Delete, with no luck.

I know there are other ways to get it to boot in safe mode, but I'm
concerned that the F8 function is not working and that I'll need to fix
this somehow. Any suggestions?

Some machines use F8 to get into the BIOS. This makes it difficult to use
the F8 key to boot into the Windows Safe Mode. Instead of trying to hit the
F8 key just right you can make some settings with the System Configuration
Utility (msconfig.exe).

Here's how to do just that...

Using the System Configuration Tool Method
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/index.php?showtutorial=61#winxo

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:1120690323.646682.275150@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com,
gregf@kcls.org <gregf@kcls.org> hunted and pecked:
> There is no F-lock key.

If your keyboard happens to have a F-Lock key, press it before
pressing F8 in order to enter Safe Mode.

A description of the Safe Mode Boot options in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315222&Product=winxp

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP