New Motherboard and WinXp problem?

I just had to replace the mother board on my computer
Its a Asus P4PE motherboard

After replacing the motherboard,
I just hooked up the hard drive I was using and the computer
did come back up. The new motherboard is another P4PE
warranty replacement board from Asus.

The computer is working but I can't get sound or USB services
The computer doesn't even seem to know that sound hardware
exists on this new motherboard for some reason... The USB, I
have no idea why its not working other then the fact I can't get
my USB printer or camera to work...

Do I have to "Reload" XP? I don't want to loose what's on my
hard drive...

What should I do to get this right???
In all the years I've had computers I've never had a motherboard die
before so I'm not sure how to proceed!!!

Thanks!!!!
2
answers
Last reply
More about motherboard winxp problem

    "SeaWolf" <Gfreed45@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >I just had to replace the mother board on my computer
    > Its a Asus P4PE motherboard
    >
    > After replacing the motherboard,
    > I just hooked up the hard drive I was using and the computer
    > did come back up. The new motherboard is another P4PE
    > warranty replacement board from Asus.
    >
    > The computer is working but I can't get sound or USB services
    > The computer doesn't even seem to know that sound hardware
    > exists on this new motherboard for some reason... The USB, I
    > have no idea why its not working other then the fact I can't get
    > my USB printer or camera to work...
    >
    > Do I have to "Reload" XP? I don't want to loose what's on my
    > hard drive...
    >
    > What should I do to get this right???
    > In all the years I've had computers I've never had a motherboard die
    > before so I'm not sure how to proceed!!!
    >
    > Thanks!!!!

    Did you enable USB controllers and Audio in BIOS?

    "G.R." <gar@belsout.net> wrote in message
    > Did you enable USB controllers and Audio in BIOS?

    SeaWolf:
    Re: your speaker problem...
    I'm assuming you're using the onboard sound capability of this motherboard
    and *not* a separate sound card. If that's the case...
    1. Make sure your speaker cable is properly connected to the Line Out jack
    and that, in general, the speakers are correctly connected.
    2. Check your BIOS setting in the I/O Device Configuration section to make
    sure the Onboard AC97 Audio Controller is set to Auto. (That's the default).
    If you're using a separate sound card, then change that setting to Disabled.
    3. If still no sound, reinstall the SoundMAX audio drivers from your
    motherboard's installation CD.

    As to your USB problem.
    1. Does the problem involve no USB capability from *both* the front *and*
    the motherboard's rear panel USB ports, or only the case's front ones
    (assuming you have front panel USB ports)?
    2. If your USB problem involves *only* the front panel USB port(s) that
    you're using, make sure you've *correctly* connected the case's front panel
    USB leads to the motherboard's USB 2.0 header. These connections are
    somewhat tricky, so work carefully and methodically.
    3. Check your BIOS setting in the Advanced Menu section to ensure that the
    USB Legacy Support item is set to Auto (the default).
    4. If still no USB support, report back with whatever error messages you
    receive. Check in Device Manager and Windows Explorer to see if there are
    any clues as to why no USB support.
    Anna

Hard Drives Motherboards USB Windows XP