TECH: WG K7000 keeps shutting off.

I have a Zenith-built WG K7000 that shuts off after about 20 minutes.
If I turn the game off and back on, the monitor will work again, but
only for a few minutes before shutting off again.

Obviously, this will not do.

It was recently capped, although there is a rather large cap on the
board that did not come in the cap kit and has not been replaced. You
can see the cap I mean in the following pic. It's the big dark blue one
in the top right corner of the chassis. Any chance this problem is
being caused by this un-replaced cap? Or is this symptomatic of some
other problem? It's kinda pissing me off, because the monitor works
great when it's on. Little burn, bright image, etc.

See the photo her: http://tinyurl.com/d5xsx

I haven't tried breaking the neck off the tube, but I may try that if
all else fails. I hear that's not a good way to *fix* monitors, though.

Any suggestions on how to fix this problem? Thanks in advance.

Corey

Those caps look like originals to me. This chassis is well known for
many bad solder joints so be sure to examine the soldering closely.

Sometimes the high voltage shutdown trimpot has gone bad internally
from the glue used to seal it in place.

Thanks, Ken. And you're right, the caps in the photo are originals.
It's been capped since the photo was taken.

Paul

Splendid

Heh, pop out D10, shutdown zener diode see if it stays on, but if you become
sterile, don't blame me! :D

Paul

"Corey C." <cooke@jory.ca> wrote in message
> Thanks, Ken. And you're right, the caps in the photo are originals.
> It's been capped since the photo was taken.

Just a little more information:

I've tried testing the B+ voltage at the large resistor on the side of
the chassis, but when I touch the tab on the resistor with my
multi-meter, the monitor shuts off, so I can't get a reading. Strange,
huh?