When I startup windows My Documents file opens instead of my desktop.

Didn't work!

"rmoore456" wrote:

> When I startup windows My Documents file opens instead of my desktop.

Corrects the issue where My Documents opens at logon
http://www.dougknox.com/xp/scr­ipts_desc/xp_mydocsopens.htm

[Courtesy of MS-MVP Doug Knox]

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"rmoore456" wrote:

| When I startup windows My Documents file opens instead of my desktop.

Carey you got bit by the same bug that bit me.

For example, when you cut & paste a URL from a web page that shows in a
Google search it doesn't work.

That is, a hyphen gets added to the URL when the viewer of your post
double-clicks the link.

In this case the hyphen is inserted as follows:
..../scr­-ipts_desc/...

So here is the link that works.
http://www.dougknox.com/xp/scripts_desc/xp_mydocsopens.htm

--
Michael

> Corrects the issue where My Documents opens at logon
> http://www.dougknox.com/xp/scr­ipts_desc/xp_mydocsopens.htm
>

> [Courtesy of MS-MVP Doug Knox]
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP - Shell/User
> Microsoft Newsgroups

> "rmoore456" wrote:
>
> | When I startup windows My Documents file opens instead of my desktop.

I got to the fix ok but it didn't work.

"Michael T" wrote:

> Carey you got bit by the same bug that bit me.
>
> For example, when you cut & paste a URL from a web page that shows in a
> Google search it doesn't work.
>
> That is, a hyphen gets added to the URL when the viewer of your post
> double-clicks the link.
>
> In this case the hyphen is inserted as follows:
> ..../scr­-ipts_desc/...
>
> So here is the link that works.
> http://www.dougknox.com/xp/scripts_desc/xp_mydocsopens.htm
>
> --
> Michael

> > Corrects the issue where My Documents opens at logon
> > http://www.dougknox.com/xp/scr­ipts_desc/xp_mydocsopens.htm
> >

> > [Courtesy of MS-MVP Doug Knox]
> >
> > --
> > Carey Frisch
> > Microsoft MVP
> > Windows XP - Shell/User
> > Microsoft Newsgroups
> >

> > Get Windows XP Service Pack 2 with Advanced Security Technologies:
> > http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/windowsxp/choose.mspx
> >
> > -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> >
> > "rmoore456" wrote:
> >
> > | When I startup windows My Documents file opens instead of my desktop.

Then try this one at

line 255 right column

"rmoore456" <rmoore456@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I got to the fix ok but it didn't work.

One other thing.

There is some more information on your problem at the bottom of this web
page.
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/win_xp_mydocs.htm

"rmoore456" <rmoore456@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I got to the fix ok but it didn't work.
>
> "Michael T" wrote:
>
>> Carey you got bit by the same bug that bit me.
>>
>> For example, when you cut & paste a URL from a web page that shows in a
>> Google search it doesn't work.
>>
>> That is, a hyphen gets added to the URL when the viewer of your post
>> double-clicks the link.
>>
>> In this case the hyphen is inserted as follows:
>> ..../scr­-ipts_desc/...
>>
>> So here is the link that works.
>> http://www.dougknox.com/xp/scripts_desc/xp_mydocsopens.htm
>>
>> --
>> Michael
>>

>> "Carey Frisch [MVP]" <cnfrisch@nospamgmail.com> wrote in message
>> > Corrects the issue where My Documents opens at logon
>> > http://www.dougknox.com/xp/scr­ipts_desc/xp_mydocsopens.htm
>> >

>> > [Courtesy of MS-MVP Doug Knox]
>> >
>> > --
>> > Carey Frisch
>> > Microsoft MVP
>> > Windows XP - Shell/User
>> > Microsoft Newsgroups
>> >

>> > Get Windows XP Service Pack 2 with Advanced Security Technologies:
>> > http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/windowsxp/choose.mspx
>> >
>> > -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Check your settings here:

Start/Run/Regedit

In the right pane under Userinit - Change the key that reads:
C:\Windows\System32\Userinit.exe,C:\Windows\System 32\Userinit.exe
C:\Windows\System32\Userinit.exe,

And also here:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows.

In the right pane, check your settings under Load.

Note: This problem can be caused by a Trojan virus.

"rmoore456" <rmoore456@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I got to the fix ok but it didn't work.
>
> "Michael T" wrote:
>
>> Carey you got bit by the same bug that bit me.
>>
>> For example, when you cut & paste a URL from a web page that shows in a
>> Google search it doesn't work.
>>
>> That is, a hyphen gets added to the URL when the viewer of your post
>> double-clicks the link.
>>
>> In this case the hyphen is inserted as follows:
>> ..../scr­-ipts_desc/...
>>
>> So here is the link that works.
>> http://www.dougknox.com/xp/scripts_desc/xp_mydocsopens.htm
>>
>> --
>> Michael
>>

>> "Carey Frisch [MVP]" <cnfrisch@nospamgmail.com> wrote in message
>> > Corrects the issue where My Documents opens at logon
>> > http://www.dougknox.com/xp/scr­ipts_desc/xp_mydocsopens.htm
>> >

>> > [Courtesy of MS-MVP Doug Knox]
>> >
>> > --
>> > Carey Frisch
>> > Microsoft MVP
>> > Windows XP - Shell/User
>> > Microsoft Newsgroups
>> >

>> > Get Windows XP Service Pack 2 with Advanced Security Technologies:
>> > http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/windowsxp/choose.mspx
>> >
>> > -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Try once again:

"rmoore456" wrote:

| Didn't work!
|
| "rmoore456" wrote:

I have installed both fixes and checked the registry. Nothing unusual in the
registry. Still get My Documents on startup.

>I have installed both fixes and checked the registry. Nothing unusual in
>the
> registry. Still get My Documents on startup.

Oh my, how disappointing.

Now I am wondering about a possible virus/Trojan - or having to resort to a
Repair Install.

I'm afraid I am fresh out of ideas.

Keep pluggin'.

I have ran the spyware and antivirus scans and deleted what was found and
still My Documents opens on startup.