leaked NV20 specs! impressive!

G

hello guys. while using search engines, i stumbled onto some info of the upcomming nv20! ill post some links now to back my info up. also, ill add my own comments below each description.
http://toyoaki.bird.to/cgi-bin/bbs2/article/p/pcbbs/12/jeebbb/jeebbb.html
http://www.guru3d.com/cgi-bin/newspro/ktalk/974210216,19594,.shtml

http://www.hwupgrade.it/news/1313.html

Hidden surface removal which will provide a significant increase in performance due to less memory bandwidth utilitzation
Four rendering pipelines each running at 300MHz
DDR SDRAM operating at 250-300 MHz
Programmable T&L pipeline with the ability to render 100 million polygons/sec and 32-64 light sources per scene
Improvments and new features in NVIDIA's shading rasterizer
3D textures with compression
Major overhaul of anisotropic filtering (24-32 samples)
Improved mutil-sampling to support FSAA natively

http://www.reactorcritical.com/review-nv20/review-nv20.shtml

http://www.3dhardware.net/articles/comdexfall2000_part1/

http://www.zdnet.co.uk/news/2000/46/ns-19260.html

500+MHz ramdac!!!!!!!!

http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/1/14959.html

http://www.hardwarecentral.com/hardwarecentral/news/2515/1/

Core: 300 MHz;
Memory: 200 MHz DDR SDRAM;
256bit memory bus;
12.8 GB/sec memory bus bandwidth;
Fillrate 1.8 Gpixel/sec (5.4 Gtexel/sec);
6 rendering pipelines with 3 texturing units each;
0.15 micron manufacturing technology.
Besides, NV20 should have a greatly improved T&L engine and should be fully compliant with DirectX 8.0. As far as the performance goes, it is expected to be just outstanding: at the resolution set to 1600x1200x32 the system built with an Intel Pentium III CPU shows around 100fps in Quake3. The new wonder from NVIDIA is supposed to be presented at COMDEX Fall 2000 and should cost around ~$800.

http://www.tech-report.com/onearticle.x/1136

Rumor patrol: NV20 to hit 50 million transistors?

-----------------NV20 specs-------------

1. 300MHz core
Ace's comments: since the nv16 spouted a 250MHz core, its probable that the nv20's core run at a whopping 300MHz. it wont do much unless they can resolve the memory bottleneck

2. .15 micron feature
Ace's comments: less heat, more transistors. .13 next

3. 6 rendering pipelines with 3 texture units each
Ace's comments: 1.8 gigapixel, 5.4 gigatexels, wow man thats way up compared to 1gp, 2gt of the ultra(nv16)

4. 5ns 400MHz ram(200MHz ddr) with 256 bit bus
Ace's comments: over and over ive told you guys that they must make 256 bit memory bus. youve said its too expensive. well they found a way to make it for less. the card will cost only $800 and is expected to drop to 500 within 12 months

5. 12.8 GB/sec memory bus bandwidth
Ace's comments: twice the bandwith of the pro, should give twice the fillrate, than add another 30% for HSR. this adds to over 100fps(120 estimated) in quake3 in 1600x1200x32 max!!!!!! gosh who needs that fillrate? man game developers have alot to catch up

6. fully compliant with DirectX 8.0
Ace's comments: all the goodies of directX!

7. 500+MHz ramdac!!!!!!!!
Ace's comments: 3200x2400x32 at 85Hz resolution. will put those 24 and up inch monitors to good use. great for life-like images.
also will be used on new 21" monitors with .10 dot pitch.
compare to .22 today!

8. Programmable T&L pipeline with the ability to render 100 million polygons/sec and 32-64 light sources per scene
Ace's comments: a whole new dimension in gaming, nuff' said!

9. Major overhaul of anisotropic filtering (24-32 samples)
Ace's comments: crystal clear images. hairlike details

10. Improved mutil-sampling to support FSAA natively
Ace's comments: FSAA quality better than that of the voodoo5 at a smaller performance hit!

11. 3D textures with compression
Ace's comments: more speed at a tradeoff for slight image quality loss. who needs even 200fps? choose uncompressed textures anyways!

12. NV20 to hit 50 million transistors
Ace's comments: its the inevitable advancement in tech. more transistors must be used for better performance/features. this wont be a simple and cheap chip to fab!

13. Hidden surface removal which will provide a significant increase in performance due to less memory bandwidth utilitzation
Ace's comments: thatll add another 30% performance. we could be looking at 120fps in quake3 in 1600x1200x32!

14. Available March
Ace's comments: 3 months to go. hold on to your ultra. this card will cost twice the price of the ultra, so if you cant afford $800, get the ultra now! the ultra wont drop much below $400

15. $800 price tag
Ace's comments: ok so its a little pricy. not every gamer would buy one or even can afford one. theres plenty of millionares out there thatll be glad to pay twice for 2-8x the performance of the geforce2 ultra. in newer games with ultra high polygon count, itll perform up to 8x faster. in simple games, its a minium of twice. this has been confirmed. it uses a 256 bit ddr interface which cost a fortune to produce, much more than 128 bit ddr. personaly i beleive even the geforce2 gts is overkill. if you got more cash than you know what to do and you want to brag about god-like speed, this is it!
peace out guys~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

G

All I can say is I hope I get a really good job after school so I can afford to buy this card! The price is almost as much as the price of my entire system! I could barely afford to get my hercules prophet II mx yesterday. Oh well, the laws of supply and demand apply to even the 3d graphics card business. Of course, if I got that card, I'd have to get a new system to take advantage of it, and that would mean setting new hardware, tweaking and overclocking.... fun, even if a bit frustrating.

G

hey i still use a geforce 256 sdr works fine in all games for me ... bundled with a p3 600 it rocks..

Hey man i dont know .. i just think i do !!

G

Yeah, mine runs games well too, for now. I'm just wondering for how long. Computer gaming is expensive! I've upgraded my motherboard and processor every year now, and gotten 3 different video cards. I don't even want to know how much I've spent total. I was originally a console-gamer, and got into computer games about 4 years ago. For the first couple of years, I made stupid purchases, the cheapest stuff I could find without even looking for reviews, until I learned that some stuff is just crap. I had a Packard Bell(yuck) 486/40 sx to start with, then a P60, a K6-233, a K6III-400, and now a Duron 700. I'm in no way saying that the slower geforces are out of date, I'm merely whining about how quickly computer hardware in general gets obsolete. I had a voodoo3 2000 in my rig a couple of days ago before I got this geforce2 mx and I'm wondering if I should have waited for the gts prices to come down. I'm not going to worry about it though, because like you said about your setup, mine runs games good and that's all that really matters (as I say this I am downloading 3dmark 2000, 20 megs at 56k, ick).

Greg

G

Yowsas, just ran 3dmark2000, and found out how much better the mx is than my old v3. I got anywhere from 2600-2700 with the v3, and I got about 4800 with the mx. I guess this was worth it after all. I hadn't really been able to tell much difference before with the games I was playing (FAKK2 demo, Rune), but the fps meters in the helicopter and adventure parts of 3dmark were a lot higher than the v3 was. The v3 is a great card, but i think this mx is going to work just fine. Makes me wonder what kind of score this nv20 would get in 3dmark....

Greg

G

yea $800 is pricy unless yer like a millionare! i wouldnt sweat it, the nv20 is overkill anyways, and in 10 years when games come out that can really push this beast, its price may be $100! if you bought your mx in a store, you spent $150. they go for less online if you want to bother with shipping and giving yer credit#. quite simple actually. have you overclocked the ram on yer card? you could get an extra 20% boost. do you have quake3? also you can sell your voodoo3 on ebay and get like $70 back, those ebayers love to bid high, bad for buyers(of the 60 cards i bidded on, i have not won one yet!) good for sellers as they can sell for as much as they paid for last year! right now im running a tnt , paid $30 from friend last year i see bidders pay like $45 for a pci verson! i could buy the geforce2mx online for under $100 and get half my $ back by selling the tnt. i can also sell 2 of my 3 riva128's and get another $30-40 and ill have 3/4 of the geforce2mx's expenses paid off :)

G

todays games can run very very fast on a tnt! imagine a geforce, let alone future series! games have catching up to do

G

my story's similar. my dad started with a packard hell(out of business for 2 years now) 486sx-33. than he bought another hell pentium 90MHz. than he got a good deal on a low end 120MHz. next he bought my packard bell(they were the cheepest at that time)166MHz pentium with mmx for $899(unbeleivable price in 1997). a year later i overclocked it to 233, and got my tnt pci in 1999 but it was too slow for even quake2, i was getting 18fps in 640x480! packard hells are amazinglly slow, although mine was stable :). 6 months ago i built my own 366@550MHz celeron and now games fly. last month my motherboard became semidefective and i bought a new one, abit bf6 to replace my indentical, send it back :)

Grizely1

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
todays games can run very very fast on a tnt!
<i>What?</i> Ok, todays games are <i>playable</i> on a TNT, but they do <b>not</b> run very very fast, unless you're running them at 640x480, at which it still only runs it at about 50 fps. (mix in a couple voodoo2's in SLI and boost it up though).

G

I'm just going to give my v3 to my dad. He likes to play quake2 from time to time and can only play in software mode. He should like it, I remember how amazed I was at the difference between opengl mode and software, as it was the first hardware accelerated game I had played back when I got my Viper V330. And I also just started playing around with oc'ing the memory on the prophet mx as well, but i'm being a little cautious (for me) and I only raised it to ram 193, gpu 200. I know it is possible to get the cards for less than 150 on the web, but the cool thing about the retail version of the prophet is that it has better 5.5ns ram which is set at 183mhz while the oem version is still at 166. I'm planning on throwing my old p60 fan on the heatsink, and maybe getting a memory heatsink as well. As for the packard bell I had, it was a turd, that is no lie, but it was free, so I can't complain too much. Also, it was the computer I learned on. Back then I didn't understand that if you wanted to get rid of a version of windows, you couldn't just delete the directory. I was trying to go from 95 to 3.1, with the belief that 3.1 was better :). That was when I learned the wonderful cleansing abilities of good 'ol fdisk. Yep, if everything is fubar, or you don't know what the heck is wrong with your machine, just break out the pine-scented bottle of fdisk and delete the partition. Since I still don't know much about computers (though still a lot more than I used to), this is still my preferred way of fixing things, and it always works.

Greg

Raistlin

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
pb/nec went out of retail business during 1999 holiday season just over a year ago.
AS i repaired them in warrenty for compusa service center
I know ;)
Bored, Certified Tech

ohh and yes most of em were crap
but so are most compaqs

G

The thing that I hated most about them was the difficulty of installing upgraded parts (ie. video cards, modems, etc.). I tried putting a new video card in my 486 and it wouldn't work, so I had to stick with the 512K video on board. Heh heh, video has come quite a ways since then. I was trying to help my friend put a new modem in his pb pentium 75 and was shocked to find one massive card that I think had a modem, sound and video on too. Can't remember for sure, as it was a few years ago. Now I won't go back to store-bought machines, I have too much fun putting them together component by component now.

Greg

Zenthar

Distinguished
Sorry to put my little pessimistic point of view, but as much as I would like to get my hands on such a piece of electronic marvel, I fear it will only encourage companies to make crappier 3D engines. We all see games getting more and more visualy appealing, but when you look at the kind of machines you need to run it properly ... I wonder if it worth it. I was able to play Half-Life in 800X600 32 bits on my Rage128 32MB card on a simple PII300 with 64 MB RAM. But when I tried Hitman (new game by Eidos) it was running like [-peep-]. I like the ever growing realism in games, some times it is little details that make the whole thing look neater (like in Hitman with the flags moving ...) and I am also very aware that these little details can take much more processing power than it seems, but I am also sure they could take less than they currently take. Maybe I'm simply too idealistic ....

Anyway bring on the power and bring on the game
(And plz also bring that next raise so I can follow LOL)

G

in 800x600 i get 55fps in quake3. if my cpu werent a bottleneck, id get 150fps on a 1.2GHz thunderbird. the geforce allows you to play at higher resolutions, but its the cpu that determines game speed......

G

"I tried putting a new video card in my 486 and it wouldn't work, so I had to stick with the 512K video on board. Heh heh"

same here. the 486 i had, the onboard video wasnt disabable, there wasnt even a jumper to disable it! the PB people thought there would never be a need to upgrade a 512k to a 1 or 2mb card, cause back than, most people except professional developers ran standard vga 256 colors for everything

G

yea i love games that look realistic :) you can always numb down options and run it in 640x480x16. rest assured the latest games will run on a p2 300MHz as game developers want to appeal to the widest audience possible

Grizely1

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Um no sorry, you wouldn't get 150fps in quake if you had a 1.2GHz thunderbird. you'd still get a measly number.

The video card is the #1 factor to FPS, not the CPU (which is closely behind in #2). The Graphics card isn't just for what resolution you can run it at. (Heh I almost laughed when I read your post, sorry I just had to say it.)

G

MACs lack agp, plus they arent optimized for games, so there no faster than AMD. there just good for photoshop

TheAntipop

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
im with a lot of people out there when i say: the video card I have now is overkill! I have a Radeon, and I never get below 100fps running at 1024*768 in high color modes in any of my 3d shooters. the nv20 is just another bragging rights card, but if youre that concerned with bragging, then by all means waste, oops, i mean spend your money on it.

TBird 800 - Asus A7V 1005a
256 PC133 - Maxtor 45GB ATA100
Radeon 32DDR - SB Live MP3+

G

I'm with you there (except in 100fps in 3dgames). My friend bought a geforce 256 about a year ago for $300 and now you can find them for around 100. It's best to wait a while for the prices to come down. I could barely afford $150 for my geforce2mx. My friend couldn't afford that geforce256 a year ago, he just put that and about 2 grand in computer parts on a credit card and now he's had to drop out of school to get a full time job in order to pay the bill. I sure won't fall into that trap.

Greg

mpjesse

Splendid
The biggest improvement supposedly is the programmable T&L engine. This will allow games and driver sets to get the MAXIMUM performance out of the T&L engine by customizing it to the 3D engine. From what I heard- this was primarily done for the X-Box, since the X-Box is using the NV20. Man, the X-Box is going to rock, nothing can touch those specs. So much for sony and nintendo.

-MP Jesse

Grizely1

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Except Microsoft needs to advertise more. All of my friends except three haven't heard about it. <i>All</i> of them knows about PS2.

I think the X-Box is something I can support (It's basically a computer in a cool case without an OS!)

G

Hmm...over 100 fps with a 32 meg Radeon? That doesn't seem right. I mean, I've got a 64 meg GTS with an 866 P3 and I only get ~75 fps on MDK2 at those settings. I can't recall my Q3 scores, but it's around 80 as well.
But getting back to the nv20. I don't think it's overkill, games will always look to push the limits of the hardware. I mean, if you look at MechWarrior 4, which was just released, when I run it at 124x768 with everything all, I know that it's taxing my system already. I just can't wait to get my hands on the nv20, though the $800 tag seems way too high for any company expecting retail sales.