cannot install drivers for gigabit ethernet

Here's one for you XP sleuths.

I just installed MSI's K7N2 Delta 2 Platinum board with NVidia nForce 2
chipset that includes a gigabit ethernet adapter. I've loaded all the board
drivers from the CD supplied by MSI. XP (SP1) does not recognize the
broadband connection through the cable modem using the ethernet adapter,
although it likes a USB connection. The ethernet connector LEDs are lit,
indicating that the physical connection is good (packets from the modem are
knocking on the door). Device Mgr shows the on-board adapter as "NVIDIA
nForce Networking Controller #3". Properties shows "drivers not installed
(code 28)". On attempting to reinstall the drivers from the CD, I get the
following message from the hardware update wizard: "Cannot install hardware.
An error occurred during the installation of the device. The name is already
in use as either a service name or a service display name."

Can anyone tell me how to locate the place of residence of these two unnamed
culprits (denizens of the registry, I assume) and how I might go about
evicting them? (If you haven't already guessed, about the registry I know
nothing!)
2 answers Last reply
More about cannot install drivers gigabit ethernet

    Have you tried installing the drivers from the device manager?
    *Under Network Adapters in the device manager, select properties of
    your device (Gigabit Adapter) and "update" the drivers found on the
    drivers tab.
    *When asked if Windows should install automatically, select manual
    installation.
    *Select Have Disk when prompted for drivers location.
    *Browse your CD for the drivers folder and Select Install.

    Be aware that unless you are using an auto 10/100/G Gigabit Router,
    auto 10/100/G Gigabit Modem, or an auto 10/100/G Gigabit Switch you
    will not reap the full benefit of your NIC.

    soulofdarwin wrote:
    > Here's one for you XP sleuths.
    >
    > I just installed MSI's K7N2 Delta 2 Platinum board with NVidia nForce 2
    > chipset that includes a gigabit ethernet adapter. I've loaded all the board
    > drivers from the CD supplied by MSI. XP (SP1) does not recognize the
    > broadband connection through the cable modem using the ethernet adapter,
    > although it likes a USB connection. The ethernet connector LEDs are lit,
    > indicating that the physical connection is good (packets from the modem are
    > knocking on the door). Device Mgr shows the on-board adapter as "NVIDIA
    > nForce Networking Controller #3". Properties shows "drivers not installed
    > (code 28)". On attempting to reinstall the drivers from the CD, I get the
    > following message from the hardware update wizard: "Cannot install hardware.
    > An error occurred during the installation of the device. The name is already
    > in use as either a service name or a service display name."
    >
    > Can anyone tell me how to locate the place of residence of these two unnamed
    > culprits (denizens of the registry, I assume) and how I might go about
    > evicting them? (If you haven't already guessed, about the registry I know
    > nothing!)

    Try to download the drivers from here:
    http://www.msi.com.tw/program/support/driver/dvr/spt_dvr_detail.php?UID=436&kind=1

    Save them to a folder then go to the device manager and update the driver
    and choose to pick the location and point it to the folder.

    --
    Good Day
    River Rat

    "soulofdarwin" <soulofdarwin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
[...]