Duplicated DLL's

July 7, 2005 2:01:49 PM

My wifes laptop which has always been slow has now slowed to a snails pace.
I have checked & run the latest antivirus & spyware programs & have no
problem there. I have done disk cleanup & defrag but no change. Even though
I have never used the program before I decided to try Win Optimizer from
Ashampoo. I had no problems in deleting some temp files & cleaning out some
history etc. Then I tried the tool for checking DLL's & the program came up
with 475 which it says are duplicated. Could this be what's slowing the
machine down?

I have looked at the list & even though it says these DLL's are duplicated
they don't appear to be exact matches but ones that have slightly different
patchs. If you put the cursor on each one they seem to produce several
different messages, should be save to delete, may be save to
delete,Microsoft Component Category Manager Library,don't delete this DLL.
What does one do with these? Is it apt to be save to delete these & is
doing so apt to help the laptops speed?

--
Thanks in advance

More about : duplicated dll

Anonymous
July 7, 2005 4:46:51 PM

At best nothing will change, at worse you won't boot.

"Ozvideo" <ozvideo@optusnet.com.au> wrote in message news:%23j7AUspgFHA.824@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> My wifes laptop which has always been slow has now slowed to a snails pace.
> I have checked & run the latest antivirus & spyware programs & have no
> problem there. I have done disk cleanup & defrag but no change. Even though
> I have never used the program before I decided to try Win Optimizer from
> Ashampoo. I had no problems in deleting some temp files & cleaning out some
> history etc. Then I tried the tool for checking DLL's & the program came up
> with 475 which it says are duplicated. Could this be what's slowing the
> machine down?
>
> I have looked at the list & even though it says these DLL's are duplicated
> they don't appear to be exact matches but ones that have slightly different
> patchs. If you put the cursor on each one they seem to produce several
> different messages, should be save to delete, may be save to
> delete,Microsoft Component Category Manager Library,don't delete this DLL.
> What does one do with these? Is it apt to be save to delete these & is
> doing so apt to help the laptops speed?
>
> --
> Thanks in advance

Anonymous
July 8, 2005 12:49:46 AM

On Thu, 7 Jul 2005 10:01:49 +0800, Bob Horvath wrote:

Most of those type of programs that let you delete duplicate .dll's
have a restore function. ( I don't mean Windows restore). Check if
yours does. If you have some type of problem with Windows loading
after deleting the files, I suppose you could start in "safe mode" and
do a restore of the .dll's.

!