Hard drive clicks and windows reboots

Recently my desktop computer hard drive has been making some wierd clicking
sounds. Now my computer goes to boot up and it reboots in the middle of
Fast for me to pause it). Tried rebooting in Safe Mode, same thing clicks,
BSOD, and reboot.

Any help that anyone can give me would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Brett
bfritze@hotmail.com

Weird clicking noises emanating from a hard drive
is often indicative of a hard drive failure, a mechanical
issue only resolved by replacing the defective hard drive
with a new one.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"bfritze" wrote:

| Recently my desktop computer hard drive has been making some wierd clicking
| sounds. Now my computer goes to boot up and it reboots in the middle of
| Fast for me to pause it). Tried rebooting in Safe Mode, same thing clicks,
| BSOD, and reboot.
|
| Any help that anyone can give me would be greatly appreciated.
| Thanks
|
| Brett

The hard drive clicks when it is trying to read something durring the boot
sequence. My other Desktop (running a raid array) had the same issue. It
booted up for the first time in several months as I was showing my girlfriend
that my computer acts just like hers. Anyway I assumed that it was not
booting on my computer due to a bad sector on the drive (checkdisk found
several and repaired them after which my computer boot issues began). My
girlfriends computer gave the BSOD while it was idle, rebooted and entered
the BSOD/reboot loop. It only clicks right before reboot. I don't know why my
computer works now but it does. I tried booting normally - did not work,
booted in safe mode - did not work, booted using last known config - worked.
Have tried this many times before did not work then, works now.?.

My girlfriends computer has a backup drive of her system prior to upgrade. I
was going to try to boot from it and then switch back to her main HD. Kinda
like on my system. I don't think it will work but don't think it could hurt.
Is this a bad idea? I strongly believe that the issue is software related
vice just HD issue. I did find out that the warranty on the HD is still good
so replacement is a good option for me, I am just concerned about saving the
data on the drive.

Thanks for you help
Brett