I had XP corruption somehow and the PC would not boot.
I took it to technicians who did a XP repair and said that you cannot make a
boot disk for XP.

Is that true?. is there a way to boot the PC into XP from a CD disk?

On Sun, 24 Apr 2005 19:53:48 -0700, "trs80" <trs80@yahoo.com> wrote:

>I had XP corruption somehow and the PC would not boot.
>I took it to technicians who did a XP repair and said that you cannot make a
>boot disk for XP.
>
>Is that true?. is there a way to boot the PC into XP from a CD disk?

Yes and No !!

For limited problems it is possible to boot from a floppy and utilize
the files on the HDD:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;q314079

I would also consider booting from a boot CD.
Depending upon the problem and available resources these are my
suggestions:
1- boot to Recovery Consol from WinXp CD
2- boot to Knoppix ( an all on one version of Linux )
3- boot to WinPE (preinstall environment with a graphical shell )
The last one has a few versions. My fav is one by Khauyeng.

Another choice would be Ultimate Boot CD, but I have no experience
with it. Along the same vien, there probably are a 100 or more CDs of
this type available.

David

Thomas wrote
>IIRC, the ultimiate boot cd will not gain access to systems that are
NTFS
>based.

Just booted to the ultimate boot cd and it has total access to NTFS
file systems. I believe (i am a work now) it is version 2.41.
Dave

"trs80" <trs80@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I had XP corruption somehow and the PC would not boot.
> I took it to technicians who did a XP repair and said that you cannot make
> boot disk for XP.
>
> Is that true?. is there a way to boot the PC into XP from a CD disk?

Set the boot option to CD in BIOS, place XP cd in tray, no problem.

David

It does not require a login. This is why a machine is only
secure if the AREA is secure. A linux bootable cd
could do the same thing (newer ones that is).
Not sure exactly what the boot cd is doing except
it uses a version of ...I think its called...windows pe.
It really is no big deal at all to access a machines
data if you have access to the physical computer
and have a bootable medium (ie cd).
Dave

gg coughed up:

--
With knowledge comes sorrow.

David coughed up:
> Thomas wrote
>> IIRC, the ultimiate boot cd will not gain access to systems that are
>> NTFS based.
>
> Just booted to the ultimate boot cd and it has total access to NTFS
> file systems. I believe (i am a work now) it is version 2.41.
> Dave

Thank you for correcting me!

Huh. How does it do this I wonder:

1. is it read only?
2. does it require a "login"?

NTFS specifics are kept under lock and key, which is why so /few/ non-MS
applications can actually reach into it without the OS present. For
example, the last norton I bought (2003) was unable to do anything from a
boot-cd on NTFS systems for this reason. FAT32, of course, was no problem,
and the norton boot CD was able to disinfect such disks easily.

And all but 1 of the 3rd party apps that /could/ reach into NTFS without the
OS were read-only.

Do you know what the boot disk is actually doing?

Thanks

--
Puzzle: You are given a deck of cards all face down
except for 10 cards mixed in which are face up.

David wrote:
> It does not require a login. This is why a machine is only
> secure if the AREA is secure. A linux bootable cd
> could do the same thing (newer ones that is).
> Not sure exactly what the boot cd is doing except
> it uses a version of ...I think its called...windows pe.
> It really is no big deal at all to access a machines
> data if you have access to the physical computer
> and have a bootable medium (ie cd).
> Dave

Well reading NTFS is fairly trivial in Linux, however writing to it is a
bit more risky. The current write support method in the kernel only
allows you to slightly modify a file (must retain its original size,
etc.). The new method, probably used by the "Ultimate Boot CD" is
called captive NTFS. They basically use the Windows binaries to access
the NTFS partition. This is similar to how people use NDISWrapper with
closed source wireless cards (anything with the Broadcomm chipset, eg.
the Dell Truemobile 1350).

I do agree with what you said however, if someone has physical access to
a computer, all bets are off.

"David" <davids1165@gmail.com> writes:

>It does not require a login. This is why a machine is only
>secure if the AREA is secure. A linux bootable cd
>could do the same thing (newer ones that is).
>Not sure exactly what the boot cd is doing except
>it uses a version of ...I think its called...windows pe.
>It really is no big deal at all to access a machines
>data if you have access to the physical computer
>and have a bootable medium (ie cd).

Nitpick: "Windows PE" and "WinPE" are names for a licensed Microsoft
product. (They're probably trademarked, but the Microsoft documentation
for them oddly enough doesn't use the <tm> symbol, even with the
name "Windows".)

There are several more-or-less workalike programs floating around,
of which the best known is probably BartPE.

Joe Morris

Mike

Splendid

I've been using a linux boot cd to change passwords and other functiuons in
NT, W2K Pro and XP PRo for several years.
Mike

"Spammy Sammy" <Someone@microsoft.com> wrote in message

> "trs80" <trs80@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> I had XP corruption somehow and the PC would not boot.
>> I took it to technicians who did a XP repair and said that you cannot
>> make
>> boot disk for XP.
>>
>> Is that true?. is there a way to boot the PC into XP from a CD disk?
>>

> Set the boot option to CD in BIOS, place XP cd in tray, no problem.

Jan

In article <Dawme.4008$vK5.3507@trnddc03>, wxyz09@yahoo.com says...
> I've been using a linux boot cd to change passwords and other functiuons in
> NT, W2K Pro and XP PRo for several years.
> Mike
>
> "Spammy Sammy" <Someone@microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >
> > "trs80" <trs80@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> >> I had XP corruption somehow and the PC would not boot.
> >> I took it to technicians who did a XP repair and said that you cannot
> >> make
> >> boot disk for XP.
> >>
> >> Is that true?. is there a way to boot the PC into XP from a CD disk?
> >>

> > Set the boot option to CD in BIOS, place XP cd in tray, no problem.

I have a boot disk that I created 4 years ago with a win 98 machine. I
still use it whenever I need to boot an XP machine and it works like a
charm.
--

Cheers!

Jan