Cd Rom Drive Disappeared, CODE 41

Hi guys,
I recently purchased a brand new HP laptop and about 2 weeks into it my Cd
Rom disappeared. It will open, but not run cds or show up through my
computer, only device manager. It displays CODE 41 and says the latest
driver was detected, but not the device. Any help would be greatly
appreciated!
2 answers Last reply
More about drive disappeared code

    Have a look here..
    http://www.hardwareanalysis.com/content/topic/35761/

    "Jeff C" <JeffC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    | Hi guys,
    | I recently purchased a brand new HP laptop and about 2 weeks into it
    my Cd
    | Rom disappeared. It will open, but not run cds or show up through
    my
    | computer, only device manager. It displays CODE 41 and says the
    latest
    | driver was detected, but not the device. Any help would be greatly
    | appreciated!

    Goto http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpcd.php#problems
    See the second "problem" (read the caveats)
    Run the provided registry patch

    That should fix your problem (basically, a filter driver is missing or
    non-operational, the registry patch will delete the filter drivers
    references for your cdrom(s))

    Basically, the reg file from above carries out the steps displayed at this
    website

    CD-ROM Drive or DVD-ROM Drive Missing After You Install Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;320553

    CD-ROM Access Is Missing and Messages Cite Error Code 31, Code 32, Code 19,
    or Code 39 After You Remove Easy CD Creator in Windows XP

    (It'll fix code 41 errors too as per the contents of the last kb article)

    --
    Gary Tsang
    Microsoft MVP - Windows XP Shell/User

    "Jeff C" <JeffC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi guys,
    > I recently purchased a brand new HP laptop and about 2 weeks into it my Cd
    > Rom disappeared. It will open, but not run cds or show up through my
    > computer, only device manager. It displays CODE 41 and says the latest
    > driver was detected, but not the device. Any help would be greatly
    > appreciated!

CD-Rom Windows XP