I receive this message NTVDM kernal missing 16bit System module. reinstall
GDI.EXE. I canot open programs and cannot instlal new programs

314452 - 16-Bit MS-DOS Subsystem Error Message When You Install a Program:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;314452

314495 - How to Troubleshoot 16-Bit Windows Programs in Windows XP:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=314495

--
Mark L. Ferguson